Hip Problem

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Ecohouse, Oct 17, 2004.

  1. Ecohouse

    Ecohouse Guest

    I've been running for almost thirty years and always on tracks. I
    used to average about 25 miles a week. A few years ago I started to
    get pain in my right hip. I've tried taking time off, running in
    different directions on the track and nothing seems to help. It's not
    a debilitating pain but you know it's there and I don't want to push
    it and make things worse. Sometimes the pain is in the hip joint and
    sometimes it's the muscle.

    This has of course made it very hard for me to consistently train and
    my times are getting worse and worse. Although it does seem that the
    more I train mileage wise the longer it takes for the pain to kick in.

    I do yoga for stretching and ride my bike. When I do these things I
    never have any hip pain. It seems that the only time I get this pain
    is when I run.

    So I'd appreciate any suggestions how I can get past this and back to
    normal training. Thanks for the help.

    Tags:

  2. JMA

    JMA Guest

    "Ecohouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've been running for almost thirty years and always on tracks. I
    > used to average about 25 miles a week. A few years ago I started to
    > get pain in my right hip. I've tried taking time off, running in
    > different directions on the track and nothing seems to help. It's not
    > a debilitating pain but you know it's there and I don't want to push
    > it and make things worse. Sometimes the pain is in the hip joint and
    > sometimes it's the muscle.
    >
    > This has of course made it very hard for me to consistently train and
    > my times are getting worse and worse. Although it does seem that the
    > more I train mileage wise the longer it takes for the pain to kick in.
    >
    > I do yoga for stretching and ride my bike. When I do these things I
    > never have any hip pain. It seems that the only time I get this pain
    > is when I run.
    >
    > So I'd appreciate any suggestions how I can get past this and back to
    > normal training. Thanks for the help.

    I had a similar problem that turned out to be a seized hip flexor but it did
    flare up during certain yoga poses probably because it was yoga that did it
    to me :) It mostly affected me when I was running. The stretch for it is
    similar to a lunge. I got it from the PT that works with my dr.

    http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipFlexors/Lunge.html

    When doing the stretch, you need to open the hip and that will get the
    stretch deeper into the hip flexor - like you're trying to move the back leg
    forward without actually moving it. Hold it for a few seconds on each side
    and then repeat with the back leg going a little farther back each time. I
    did it 3x on each side 2x a day and within a week the pain was gone.

    Jenn

  3. Her One

    Her One Guest

    << "Ecohouse" >>

    Who's Eco,
    Who's Narciuss?

    _______
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  4. np426z

    np426z Guest

    On 17 Oct 2004 08:25:26 -0700, [email protected] (Ecohouse) wrote:

    >I've been running for almost thirty years

    You MUST be tired by now? I do a few hours and I'm tired.

    Dr Rog.