Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Hip's Next Machine - Road Fixie

Started by hippy · · Last activity · 131 posts · 5,039 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
10 May 2004
Last activity
12 July 2004
Original author
hippy
Posts
131
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,039
Views / 30 days
27

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 131
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    Originally posted by wassupdawg guess i owes you a train ticket then

    What ARE you talking about?! Dude, you are forgetting that I went t
    look at bikes.. I'm happy to take time and money to do that!!! :

    Quoted message said:

    apologies for the bum steer

    I didn't mean to sound like I was blaming you for not ending up with
    bike or anything and I like to put a little detail in some of my posts
    hence the Zone 1 train ticket cost remark.. I should be thanking you
    you inspired me to go and look at bikes in the city - usually I'm to
    lazy to do stuff like that after work, I just end up going home an
    vegging out.. It was quite likely you that mentioned Bicycle Recycle
    while back which inspired me to look at their gear.. that shop i
    awesome! :

    Quoted message said:

    settle for a guineuss(?) some time?:rolleyes

    "Guinness" I think. I drink that now.. since trying it again i
    Ireland.. used to despise the stuff.

    Quoted message said:

    totally OT, but do track bikes use 1inch steerers? Everything I hav
    seen seems to be quill-stemmed..

    Guess it depends on the age of the bike. Mine uses a 1" DuraAce set
    "think". The newer ones would probably use something a bit funkier, lik
    1 1/8th, but I could be wrong as always.

    hipp

    -

  2. A review of Stu's new toy- http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2004/reviews/white_ind_eno_eccentric_hub for any people interested in what the heck he's been rabbiting on about when he's been saying ENO. ;

    -

  3. And another thing, sorry for the double post. Stu, had a look at som
    more Cannondale framesets yesterday. I can get a CAAD4 for sub-$100
    (Cycle Science), or an Optimo CAAD7 for $1200 (LeTour). What think you

    I was certainly surprised at how cheap I could get a Cannondale fram
    for. 🙂 Now, if I decide to go down that path, I just need to save u
    those 5c pieces. :

    -

  4. Quoted message said:

    Originally posted by Etxy And another thing, sorry for the double post
    Stu, had a look at >some more Cannondale framesets yesterday. I can ge
    a CAAD4 >for sub-$1000 (Cycle Science), or an Optimo CAAD7 for $120

    Quoted message said:

    (LeTour). What think you

    Well, being a fat basta.. I mean, being an exceptionally "strong" rider
    I don't really go for the light weight stuff, so I've never paid muc
    attention to all those thin-walled, alu 'dales

    I'd just start hitting up google for reviews, like this one o
    www.roadbikereview.com (which has a fixie forum!)
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=73

    What size frame do you use Etxy? If I end up at Bicycle Recycle again
    can have a look for ya..

    hippy's eyes are really starting to feel like 40 y.o. pub carpet..

    -

  5. hippy said:

    hippy's eyes are really starting to feel like 40 y.o. pub carpet...

    Oh, that brings back memories of Fitzroy and the 'POW'

    never been the same without sticky carpet..

    -

  6. hippy said:

    Here's a ready made solution (if I was in the States):
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/bianchi04/pistase.html

    Like the look of this one too: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/gunnar-street-
    dog.html

    from a list of a few: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed.html

    At the moment, it looks like I'll get a White Industries ENO
    eccentric fixed/free hub from aussie distributor Atomic Industries
    and fit that to a used frame. Bicycle Recycle have some frames in my
    size I want to look at.

    There's also the option of a Surly Steamroller which would negate the
    use of the $225 ENO with its horizontal track ends. It doesn't appear in
    a local google much though...

    Other parts will be mishmash of new and stuff I drag out of storage.

    Any comments so far? 😉

    hippy

    --

    All this talk of SS and Fixies has got me interested, but only if the
    price is right. If I was to get a cheap road bike (and I just missed one
    in the hard rubbish collection last week, Doh!) what is the mimnimum it
    would take to convert it to fixed gear. I saw the following on
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed-hubs.html . Is it as simple as
    that to get started? I just want a bit of a project that won't break the
    non-existant budget.

    Quoted message said:

    Surly (formerly "Sub 11.0"😉 Cassette hub converter $69.95 buy button sub 11.0 fixed gear adapter
    This is a conversion kit to convert almost any recent Shimano cassette hub (except pre-1997 Dura Ace) to fixed gear.

    DaveB

  7. Quoted message said:

    Originally posted by Daveb All this talk of SS and Fixies has got m
    interested, but only if the price is right

    What is your budget

    Quoted message said:

    I just missed one in the hard rubbish collection last week, Doh

    Noooo! Never let those slide!! Just sit them in your shed and let m
    know when I can pick it up :-

    Quoted message said:

    what is the mimnimum it would take to convert it to fixed gear

    Hmm.. it all really depends on how much you already have access to, ho
    friendly you are with bike shops, etc. If you already have most of th
    stuff it could work out quite cheap, especially when compared with
    geared bike. If you have nothing, then it will either take time o
    money, probably a bit of both

    Regarding the Sub 11.0... "it is expensive enough that it doesn'
    generally make sense unless you already have a very good wheel that yo
    don't have any use for as a multispeed

    Is this the case? It may very well be cheaper to buy a second hand trac
    wheel or similar and use that instead of this hack-fix

    Do you want to go fixed or singlespeed? A singlespeed can be buil
    cheaper because you can use the existing freewheel. Doing this firs
    off will at least give you the feeling for using only one gear al
    the time.

    Here's a good Tom Deakins article on cheap fixin': http://www.sheldonbrown.com/deakins/how-to-fixed
    conversion.htm

    hth hipp

    -

  8. flyingdutch said:

    and maybe... "funomatic"

    I need some 50's ads for inspiration..

    "New Improved!" "Now with less gears!" "Sick of coasting? Try this!
    "Super Ultra Power Bike

    etcetera.

    "Fuxed" - we say this at work with problems that aren't 'quite' fixe
    :-

    hipp
    - Carn all yooz closet trackies!! Cough up ya sprockets!

    -

  9. cfsmtb said:

    Hmmm, envisage a large black cat with half a tail riding as passenger on
    the postal rack...I reckon it's a good look.😄

    hehe I getcha now.. very cool image.. probably make it onto ACA o
    TodayTonight if the cat actually stayed on the bike.. "ooh look, there'
    that tube of super glue.." ;-

    Seen the video of the skateboarding cat or dog or some other smal
    animal? Funny

    hipp
    - I like cats, really! :

    -

  10. hippy said:

    "Leg Blender" "Dark One" "Guinness" or "Stout" 😉 "Blackened"
    (Metallica fan)
    hippy

    Like them last 4

    and maybe..

    "funomatic

    -

  11. Update:

    A frame has been found! Bikesoiler had a suitable frame stored away fo
    just this purpose.. only now I'm building it up :

    Apollo "something" lugged steel frame with semi horizontals. Originall
    brown with chrome fork but currently has silver spray paint(?) all ove
    it. This paint seems to come off with degreaser and rubbing, so I'l
    continue this process and see if it cleans up

    I need to find some track parts now - cranks, chainrings, sprockets
    cogs, etc

    Also a 26mm(?) seatpost, replacement headset, new BB and a front brak
    of some sort. Maybe some of those bullhorn bars too

    If anyone has a stash of old track parts (or new ones cheap) please le
    me know! Please! :

    flyingdutch (reply from the Melbourne Courier thread, moved here)

    It was going to be called "Vegemite" and painted black (dunno if
    mentioned that here or to a mate.. the internet really does blur th
    line around reality!! ;-))

    Could just call it "Soiled". I still like Undie Soiler though :

    "Help! Someone stole my cogs!" "hippy's fixed" "Knuckle Dragger" "2 mor
    sprockets than braincells.." "Mr. Pain" "Much Pain" "Pain" "Fun Wit
    One" "One is the lonliest number that there'll ever be.." "Leg Blender
    "Dark One" "Guinness" or "Stout" 😉 "Blackened" (Metallica fan

    hipp

    -

  12. Hmmm, envisage a large black cat with half a tail riding as passenger on the postal rack...I reckon it's a good look.:

    -

  13. You might be interested in this Dutchy. It's a "relatively"
    cheap fixed gear groupset with a range of options:

    Miche: http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category177_1.htm www.miche.i

    If I can't find enough used parts, Miche will probably be providing th
    leftovers - screw the cost, it'll be used on the next bike anyway... ;

    hipp

    -

  14. hippy said:

    You might be interested in this Dutchy. It's a "relatively" cheap fixed
    gear groupset with a range of options:
    Miche: http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category177_1.htm www.miche.it
    If I can't find enough used parts, Miche will probably be providing the
    leftovers - screw the cost, it'll be used on the next bike anyway... 😉
    hippy

    thanx for that

    I only really need the crankset and rear hub. If all goes to plan m
    existing 853 roadie will loose its bits to the... (CIOCC? fill in nam
    here...) and i can get an ENO to emulate your move and just use th
    existing Atlanta rims/frontwheel to complete the Fixed (not to b
    confused with a 'SS' altho with the ENO I have the choice and freedom t
    be as confusing to you and me alike😄

    -

  15. Update..

    Current pictures of the frame
    http://166.90.213.233/~sbirnie/Cycling/ApolloFix1

    (not on www.thehippy.net yet as I have to xfer domains..

    I now have to find someone in East Melbourne to blast it or DIY it wit
    paint stripper and spraypaint can :

    hipp

    -

  16. hippy said:

    Update...
    Current pictures of the frame:
    http://166.90.213.233/~sbirnie/Cycling/ApolloFix1/
    (not on www.thehippy.net yet as I have to xfer domains..)
    I now have to find someone in East Melbourne to blast it or DIY it with
    paint stripper and spraypaint can 🙂
    hippy

    fascinating array of 'bike stands' you've got there! :

    -

  17. eddiec said:

    fascinating array of 'bike stands' you've got there! 😄

    Much cheaper than a Park or GripSport stand :-

    Nowhere near as effective though - as I recall the frame hit the dec
    when the treefern-thingo let go :

    hipp

    -

  18. Originally posted by hippy:

    Quoted message said:

    Current pictures of the frame


    http://166.90.213.233/~sbirnie/Cycling/ApolloFix1

    Gotta love that early eighties utilitarian lugwork. What's it weigh

    Regards

    Suz

    -

  19. Quoted message said:

    Originally posted by suzy

    Quoted message said:

    Originally posted by hippy: Current pictures of the frame


    http://166.90.213.233/~sbirnie/Cycling/ApolloFix1

    Quoted message said:

    Gotta love that early eighties utilitarian lugwork. What's it weigh

    Good question.. is "A TONNE!" good enough? :-

    I've not weighed it yet (the bathroom scales might break) so I don'
    know. It's not really an issue when you have 100kg of me on top

    I suppose I can see if the scales give a rough idea.

    hipp

    -

  20. suzyj said:

    Originally posted by hippy:

    Quoted message said:

    Current pictures of the frame:


    http://166.90.213.233/~sbirnie/Cycling/ApolloFix1/
    Gotta love that early eighties utilitarian lugwork. What's it weigh?
    Regards,
    Suzy

    and what's the bracket-bitty underneath the seattube down near the BB

    -

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.