Triathlon · Public discussion

Hip tendon injury advice, please...

Started by Harrow · · Last activity · 5 posts · 4,406 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Triathlon
Published
21 July 2003
Last activity
24 July 2003
Original author
Harrow
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,406
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a recurring problem with the tendon (ligament ?) that passes over the outside of the ball joint at the outer top of my leg just below my hip.

    Whenever I run over 10km, it starts to get painful just where it passes over the joint. Also, I can sometimes fell it 'flicking' over the outer edge of the ball joint as I take ech stride. Is there some type of stretching I should be doing, or is my running technique possibly at fault?

    Any ideas or similar experiences?

  2. Hi Harrow,

    I have had a similar problem. I was a tight IT (IdioTibal??) band, (and caused exactly the same
    symtoms) the band that run down the outside of your leg from hip to outside knee. Any good physo
    will pin point it in minutes. There are lots of stretchs for it. An example, lie on your side on
    the floor (on the injured side), raise your foot (injured side) with about 6 inchs of books, you
    should feel a stretch. Raise the 6 inchs over the weeks. There are loads of such examples, look up
    IT band stretchs.

    Good luck

    Tommy

    "Harrow" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a recurring problem with the tendon (ligament ?) that passes over the outside of the ball
    joint at the outer top of my leg just below my hip.

    Whenever I run over 10km, it starts to get painful just where it passes over the joint. Also, I
    can sometimes fell it 'flicking' over the outer edge of the ball joint as I take ech stride. Is
    there some type of stretching I should be doing, or is my running technique possibly at fault?

    Any ideas or similar experiences?

    --
    This forum is a gateway to the rec.sport.triathlon usenet newsgroup. Any


    posts you make in this forum will be propogated to usenet.

  3. Found this = pponline.co.uk0168.htm

    "Harrow" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a recurring problem with the tendon (ligament ?) that passes over the outside of the ball
    joint at the outer top of my leg just below my hip.

    Whenever I run over 10km, it starts to get painful just where it passes over the joint. Also, I
    can sometimes fell it 'flicking' over the outer edge of the ball joint as I take ech stride. Is
    there some type of stretching I should be doing, or is my running technique possibly at fault?

    Any ideas or similar experiences?

    --
    This forum is a gateway to the rec.sport.triathlon usenet newsgroup. Any


    posts you make in this forum will be propogated to usenet.

  4. "Tim" <[email hidden]> wrote in :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Harrow,

    I have had a similar problem. I was a tight IT (IdioTibal??) band, (and caused exactly the same
    symtoms) the band that run down the outside of your leg from hip to outside knee. Any good physo
    will pin point it in minutes. There are lots of stretchs for it. An example, lie on your side on
    the floor (on the injured side), raise your foot (injured side) with about 6 inchs of books, you
    should feel a stretch. Raise the 6 inchs over the weeks. There are loads of such examples, look up
    IT band stretchs.

    Good luck

    Tommy

    "Harrow" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a recurring problem with the tendon (ligament ?) that passes over the outside of the ball
    joint at the outer top of my leg just below my hip.

    Whenever I run over 10km, it starts to get painful just where it passes over the joint. Also, I
    can sometimes fell it 'flicking' over the outer edge of the ball joint as I take ech stride. Is
    there some type of stretching I should be doing, or is my running technique possibly at fault?

    Any ideas or similar experiences?

    --
    This forum is a gateway to the rec.sport.triathlon usenet newsgroup. Any


    posts you make in this forum will be propogated to usenet.

    Here's some stretches:

    rice.edustretch.html siliconeorthotics.comITBand.htm
    emedx.comiliotibial band stretch.htm
    kneeguru.co.ukiliotibial.html howtostretch.comiliotibi.htm
    sportmedbc.comtip itb

    Tom

  5. Quoted message said:

    Any ideas or similar experiences?

    Definately sounds like an IT band problem. I've found success with ice to the knee that hurts,
    along with massage (for your hips and glutes) and for really really bad pain, ultrasound from
    your physiotherapist. Needless to say, you should rest (not run or bike at least) until it
    doesn't hurt any more.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.