hippy blog extract 17 May 2004

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by hippy, May 16, 2004.

  1. hippy

    hippy Guest

    I feel so "messenger" today. After about 20 years of using a norma
    backpack (about 10 riding with one) I finally tried something differen
    - a messenger bag. A Crumpler "Fux Deluxe" to be precise. $170aud fro
    the store in Lt. Burke street, Melbourne. It's a funk
    black/orange/blue - I bought an old model which has horizontal AN
    vertical reflective strips compared to the new model's singl
    horizontal one. The guy in the shop said that striping was the mos
    expensive thing on the bag. La dee daa ;

    It feels different. That's all I can say about it, for now..

    Of course I rode the GT SS in and popped nice little track stands at al
    the lights to complete the messenger stylin' package. All I need now i
    a radio and some tatts

    Cadence Wars.. After some discussion on a.b, I thought I'd see how fas
    I could spin. Going down a hill on Whitehorse Rd. towards Box Hill o
    the GT I counted my right leg pushing 32 times in about 10 seconds, fo
    a cadence of 192bpm. I say 'about 10 secs' because I was looking at m
    watch for the timing. I'd get a bit faster with a more accurate metho
    of cadence measurement that didn't require one hand off the bars

    Time: 1:06 (about what I was doing before the Europe trip

    -

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > Time: 1:06 (about what I was doing before the Europe trip)

    Heeeeee's BAAAAAAACK! (in black. and orange and blue!

    enjoy the stretch of Whitehorse Rd between Elgar and Union Rds? Aren
    those tram stops a joy!?!?!

    -

  3. hippy

    hippy Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > enjoy the stretch of Whitehorse Rd between Elgar and Union Rds? Arent
    > those tram stops a joy!?!?!?

    I'm used to them now. If I'm moving fast I stick to the road and squeez
    by the huge concrete slab. If I'm moving slow or there's a tram nearby
    take the 'bike lane' option

    Outbound bike lane is good when a tram has stopped - pass about 2
    stopped cars, take the path, and then jump off the curb and you're no
    in front of everything! bwahahah

    hipp
    - messenger wannab

    -

  4. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > I'm used to them now. If I'm moving fast I stick to the road and squeeze
    > by the huge concrete slab. If I'm moving slow or there's a tram nearby I
    > take the 'bike lane' option.
    > Outbound bike lane is good when a tram has stopped - pass about 20
    > stopped cars, take the path, and then jump off the curb and you're now
    > in front of everything! bwahahaha
    > hippy
    > - messenger wannabe

    stayed well clear, to be honest. Isnt one of those outbound lane
    directed straight into the path of cars coming out from one of th
    side-streets

    -

  5. hippy

    hippy Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > stayed well clear, to be honest. Isnt one of those outbound lanes
    > directed straight into the path of cars coming out from one of the
    > side-streets?

    Yes. I wonder who is at fault if I hit a car or a car hits me? I guess
    it would be my fault because the bike path forms the bottom of a T
    intersection with the side road. At night, it's pretty easy to see car
    headlights there so it's not all bad..

    Do you take the bike path or stay on the road?

    hippy

    --

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > Yes. I wonder who is at fault if I hit a car or a car hits me? I guess
    > it would be my fault because the bike path forms the bottom of a T
    > intersection with the side road. At night, it's pretty easy to see car
    > headlights there so it's not all bad..
    > Do you take the bike path or stay on the road?
    > hippy

    road the couple of times i have ridden out that way, but ever fearfu
    the 'tracks of death' will get me (mind casts back to broken arm numbe
    3 circa '87

    -

  7. hippy

    hippy Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > road the couple of times i have ridden out that way, but ever fearful
    > the 'tracks of death' will get me (mind casts back to broken arm number
    > 3 circa '87)

    3 broken arms!

    You're the last person that needs to worry about maintaining
    'hardcore' status

    hipp
    - swapped the 15w Vista globe for 10w and longer running time.

    -

  8. kingsley

    kingsley Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 23:38:00 +0000, hippy wrote:

    > I feel so "messenger" today. After about 20 years of using a normal
    > backpack (about 10 riding with one) I finally tried something different
    > - a messenger bag. A Crumpler "Fux Deluxe" to be precise. $170aud from
    > the store in Lt. Burke street, Melbourne. It's a funky
    > black/orange/blue - I bought an old model which has horizontal AND
    > vertical reflective strips compared to the new model's single
    > horizontal one. The guy in the shop said that striping was the most
    > expensive thing on the bag. La dee daa ;)
    >
    > It feels different. That's all I can say about it, for now...

    Mine has worn away the back/bum of my (suit) trowsers.
    It must swing across my back a bit as I ride... *shrug*
    The bag shows no sign of wear though ;)

    Pretty good other than that.

    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner,
    (mailto: [email protected])

  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > 3 broken arms!!
    > You're the last person that needs to worry about maintaining a
    > 'hardcore' status!

    The count was 3 back in 87

    Its now 4 and 2 collarbones, 2 knee reco's, 3 Ti pins in right wris
    (Steel may be real but it aint nice having rust in the machine!
    Shoulder Reco (and I think Im working my way towards another!) and many
    many hangovers!!

    And they said Baseball was a non-contact sport! (altho 2/4 arms an
    collarbones were due to cycling

    -

  10. hippy

    hippy Guest

    >Originally posted by flyingdutch Its now 4 and 2 collarbones, 2 kne
    >reco's, 3 Ti pins in right wrist, Shoulder Reco (and I think Im workin
    >my way towards >another!), and many, many hangovers!!

    and I thought I needed training wheels! ;

    Do you still play bashball? Prefer the 'non-contact' of cycling

    hipp

    -

  11. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > >Originally posted by flyingdutch Its now 4 and 2 collarbones, 2 knee
    > >reco's, 3 Ti pins in right wrist, Shoulder Reco (and I think Im working
    > >my way towards >another!), and many, many hangovers!!!

    > and I thought I needed training wheels! ;)
    > Do you still play bashball? Prefer the 'non-contact' of cycling?
    > hippy

    no more baseball. Lost interest (and most of shoulder socket) t
    be honest..

    Very little contact experienced in quite awhile now (reachs for Head t
    touch wood...) (not including BIG dump at Mt Dissapointment offroad
    couple of years back)

    Havent even fallen off at the lights track-standing (not that Im ver
    good at it!) for yonk

    Came VERY close to losing it a few weeks back along Bourke St in fron
    of work on one of them big steel plates over roadwork-hole

    Read about the dude who retired from Yesterday's Giro stage with 'facia
    :( :( :

    -