hippy gets fixed

hippy

New Member
Sep 5, 2003
1,806
No, the GT is still sitting in the lounge, busted and bruised, but there's something new in the hippy household..

http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=674

hippy
"me knees.. damn it all!! me knees!!"

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 08:06:17 +1000, hippy wrote:

> No, the GT is still sitting in the lounge, busted and bruised, but
> there's something new in the hippy household..
>
> http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=674
>
> hippy
> "me knees.. damn it all!! me knees!!"

what's with the bidding 5 minutes before the end of the auction, and
letting people force up your max bid? All that does is drive up the price
too early and make you end up paying more than you have to. Anyone who is
anyone knows you just watch and only bid in the last 15 seconds, and then
with a killer bid that will usually end up being just about what you hoped
to pay (at worst maybe a bit more, but at best significantly less), but
big enough to definitely trump everyone else.

--

phillip brown

"**** doesn't just happen. there is always an ass-hole involved"

On 2006-08-03, Phillip Brown (aka Bruce)
> what's with the bidding 5 minutes before the end of the auction, and
> letting people force up your max bid? All that does is drive up the price
> too early and make you end up paying more than you have to. Anyone who is
> anyone knows you just watch and only bid in the last 15 seconds, and then
> with a killer bid that will usually end up being just about what you hoped
> to pay (at worst maybe a bit more, but at best significantly less), but
> big enough to definitely trump everyone else.

I don't understand how EBay got so big when there are so many smaller
players out there who have bidding mechanisms that actually work far
better -- much more like the real world.

Doesn't it seem obvious to you that as long as there is a valid bid,
just keep on extending the auction by 15 minutes? But nooo, ebay
don't want that. It'd be too hard to code. Dumb fsckers.

--
TimC
I'm lost

hippy wrote:
> No, the GT is still sitting in the lounge, busted and bruised, but
> there's something new in the hippy household..
>
> http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=674
>
> hippy
> "me knees.. damn it all!! me knees!!"

Nice catch! About time too.

Lose the aero levers and get a CX lever :)

--
Nick

Hippy wrote:

> there's something new in the hippy household..

> http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=674

Purty! And red! How's the steering with those road forks? I imagine it'd be pretty quick.

I prefer to put a reasonable bid in with a few days to go and let it be outbid, then clobber them with a few seconds to go.

Cheers,

Suzy

Hey Suzy - hope you don't mind me asking - but what ever happened to the old Malvern Star you stumbled upon ?? Is it residing in a museum someplace?

~gm~

gravelmuncher wrote:

> what ever happened to the old Malvern Star you
> stumbled upon ?? Is it residing in a museum someplace?

It's sitting in my garage, in pretty-much the condition it was found. It's a 58cm frame, which is miles too big for me to ride, so I've had very little motivation to do anything with it.

More recently, I got my hands on a nice custom 1940's Speedwell track bike, complete with Conloy constrictor rims on Airlite hubs, which I've cleaned up nicely. It's a 55cm frame, and apart from the seatpost being too short, is quite nice to ride (though I've only ridden it a few hundred metres, as I'd never forgive myself if I broke it).

I'll probably put the Malvern Star on ebay eventually, so that someone else can have the opportunity to love it.

Cheers,

Suzy

NoZX6R said:
hippy wrote:
> No, the GT is still sitting in the lounge, busted and bruised, but
> there's something new in the hippy household..
>
> http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=674

Nice catch! About time too.
Lose the aero levers and get a CX lever :)

But I like riding on the hoods as well as the tops.. hmm..

It needs a new stem anyway so I'll probably pimp out the whole front/top end one day.

In case anyone is wondering.. my site was hacked the other day and I'm kinda ****-farting around with my host to try and restore it (with the hacked php shite out of the way). If I lose my content, I will be a little unhappy. Backups are around but it'd be a major pain I don't have much time for. I'm losing sleep just posting here damnit! :p

hippy
"fixed london fun"

Phillip Brown said:
On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 08:06:17 +1000, hippy wrote:

> No, the GT is still sitting in the lounge, busted and bruised, but
> there's something new in the hippy household..
>
> http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=674
>
> hippy
> "me knees.. damn it all!! me knees!!"

what's with the bidding 5 minutes before the end of the auction, and
letting people force up your max bid? All that does is drive up the price
too early and make you end up paying more than you have to. Anyone who is
anyone knows you just watch and only bid in the last 15 seconds, and then
with a killer bid that will usually end up being just about what you hoped
to pay (at worst maybe a bit more, but at best significantly less), but
big enough to definitely trump everyone else.

Overexcitement? Bidding on emotion? I wanted to test the waters for autobidding. If I didn't start the little bid war, the auto-bid would have topped my max bid and I would have lost. I guess I 'was' prepared to go to £300 so I could've just used that as my max bid but this was more fun and potentially cheaper - it depends on your bidding rivals.

hippy

suzyj said:
Hippy wrote:

> there's something new in the hippy household..

> http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=674

Purty! And red! How's the steering with those road forks? I imagine it'd be pretty quick.

I prefer to put a reasonable bid in with a few days to go and let it be outbid, then clobber them with a few seconds to go.

Red goes faster..

Yeah, this is definately a nimble traffic dodging machine. I'm trying to think how it compares to my track bike but last time I used that was over 18 months ago now. It's fast and fun. Can be a bit of a pain sometimes with London stop-start (if you do the stopping/starting bit <cough> "what red?").

I don't bother with bids earlier than the last 5min. I used to use a bid sniper which was quicker than me. It just depends on what it is, how much, other bidders, mood, etc. I got it for less than what I was prepared for and it's HEAPS of fun to ride and a bit of a classic too.

hippy