hippy's eurotour - some new pics

hippy wrote:
> Sara Wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>>
>>>On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:23:50 +1000, hippy

>>and

>>me

>>>Good grub, those stinging nettles.
>>>
>>>If you want an antidote, rub dock leaves into the sting site.

>>Oh - or anything alakline-y, milk fr'instance.

> 1. I don´t even know what dock leaves are and would probably mistakenly
> pick something that stings even worse..
>
> 2. If I had something edible like milk, you can bet your vital organs
> I´ll eat or drink it - sod wasting it on a sting!
>
> 3. "I´m so tough".. which reminds me.. does anyone remember that "I´m
> so tough, I..." skit from the 80´s?
>
> eg: I´m so tough, when I go to the beach... I kick sand into my OWN
> face!
>
> regressing hippy
>
>[/color]

Why is it that I remember George Smilovich (sp?)

You've got an amazing ability to dredge up memories (some of which are
unwanted:)

--
Nick

hippy wrote:
> Sara Wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>>
>>>On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:23:50 +1000, hippy

>>and

>>me

>>>Good grub, those stinging nettles.
>>>
>>>If you want an antidote, rub dock leaves into the sting site.

>>Oh - or anything alakline-y, milk fr'instance.

> 1. I don´t even know what dock leaves are and would probably mistakenly
> pick something that stings even worse..[/color]

I was going to suggest that you just google for it, like lots of things
in google, unless you use the exact combination of words, you start to
have an Alta Vista experience.

However I did learn that it is part of the Buckwheat family, which
sounds weird until you see buckwheat (good for porridge) and see dock seed.

Food wise, you can steam/boil the leaves. Young fresh growth is recommended.

Try this one, obviously USA, but its close in look. The flower stalk on
the species around sydney go to a metre.
http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/weed_web/curleddock/dock_plant_flower.htm

Some good info here.
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/d/docks-15.html

And a Pommy link, which is probably more applicable
http://www.hdra.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=1

If you use Dock juice, just be wary of Clearwing Moths. Apparently they
lay their eggs into dock stems {:). so don't go touring around Wagga
WaggaNSW, where the CSIRO is boosting their numbers.

P.S. In Australia, I can not say that I've found dock always close by
stinging nettles, so I home the folklore is true in Europe where I
understand that they both come from.