Hip's Next Machine - Road Fixie

>Originally posted by flyingdutch
>thou holds true to the 'italian way' so the roadies are
>attired with 'true-believer' equipment
>Jap-**** is purely for mtb's

<*****slap-mode: on>

It's the engine that matters anyway.. race me and my
Shimano and the loser has to change groupset allegiances :p

I have no real link with either company.. I might actually use Campag one day.. if I could only find a bike shop with it!

I think I've just worked out why you struggle with bike funds..
it's all that overpriced Campy stuff you buy.. :p

<*****slap-mode: off>

Possibly useful info: Ultegra will be coming out in a 10spd
version.

hippy
- big ;-)

Originally posted by hippy

<*****slap-mode: on>
It's the engine that matters anyway.. race me and my
Shimano and the loser has to change groupset allegiances :p
I have no real link with either company.. I might actually use Campag one day.. if I could only find a bike shop with it!
I think I've just worked out why you struggle with bike funds..
it's all that overpriced Campy stuff you buy.. :p
<*****slap-mode: off>

Possibly useful info: Ultegra will be coming out in a 10spd version.

hippy
- big ;-)

Had sugar then? ;)
thawt that'd reel you in!
campy aint any more expensive (unless you go to record)
Once I grovel my way up to Cgrade your on!
Im bettin Ultegra 10spd is accomponied by a price hike too :)

>Originally posted by flyingdutch
>Had sugar then? ;)

Had lunch and some Iced coffee.. mmm.. now where's the chocolate?!

>thawt that'd reel you in!

I bait easy, but I'm rarely serious in my replies :)

>campy aint any more expensive (unless you go to record)

Yeah, but I'm out in the 'burbs where there's not many bike shops with the big C in stock.

>Once I grovel my way up to Cgrade your on!

Sure you don't want me to just enter D grade? ;)
I haven't raced since before April.. how slack.

>Im bettin Ultegra 10spd is accomponied by a price hike too :)

No doubt, but then maybe 9spd will be cheaper. I have an answer to component maker price hikes.. it's called a
singlespeed... ;)

hippy

news:[email protected]

[...]

> <*****slap-mode: on>
>
> It's the engine that matters anyway.. race me and my
> Shimano and the loser has to change groupset
> allegiances :p
>
> I have no real link with either company.. I might
> actually use Campag one day.. if I could only find a bike
> shop with it!
>
> I think I've just worked out why you struggle with bike
> funds.. it's all that overpriced Campy stuff you buy.. :p
>
> <*****slap-mode: off>

When was the last time Campy won the TdF?

'nuff said.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

news:[email protected]

[...]

> No doubt, but then maybe 9spd will be cheaper. I have an
> answer to component maker price hikes.. it's called a
> singlespeed... ;)

When was the last time a single-speed won the TdF?

'nuff said.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Originally posted by Drs

When was the last time Campy won the TdF?

'nuff said.

Indurain. 5 times in a row i believe
(even used a triple in one stage:eek: )

Watch the recent Giro?
Campag
T-Mobile sponsored by Shimano with shimano stickers all over em has the vast majority of their riders re-speccin their machines to campag (Zabel, Ullrich, etc)

A commodore wins Bathurst. I aint buyin a conformadore!

TdF is a bad example to site probably well over 80% was won on campag

Damn. you suckin me in to a grouppo squabble!

look away. they know not what they say...

"Zebee Johnstone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In aus.bicycle on Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:03:47 +1000 DRS
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> No doubt, but then maybe 9spd will be cheaper. I have an
>>> answer to component maker price hikes.. it's called a
>>> singlespeed... ;)
>>
>> When was the last time a single-speed won the TdF?
>
> when was the last time you competed in it?

What does that have to do with anything?

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Originally posted by Drs
"Zebee Johnstone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In aus.bicycle on Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:03:47 +1000 DRS
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> No doubt, but then maybe 9spd will be cheaper. I have an
>>> answer to component maker price hikes.. it's called a
>>> singlespeed... ;)
>>
>> When was the last time a single-speed won the TdF?
>
> when was the last time you competed in it?

What does that have to do with anything?

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Huh???

Where is that zeebee post you are quoting? Its gone!
Is there some function to remove a post?

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

> Huh???
>
> Where is that zeebee post you are quoting? Its gone! Is
> there some function to remove a post?

It is possible to cancel your own posts on Usenet, although
not all servers will honour cancel messages because of the
high number of frauds. However, I suspect it's more likely
Zebee's post simply hasn't circulated to your server yet
(which is precisely why you should always quote relevant
material - there is no guarantee that all posts will reach
all servers).

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Originally posted by Drs

It is possible to cancel your own posts on Usenet, although
not all servers will honour cancel messages because of the
high number of frauds. However, I suspect it's more likely
Zebee's post simply hasn't circulated to your server yet
(which is precisely why you should always quote relevant
material - there is no guarantee that all posts will reach
all servers).

Oh.

what do you 'read' this forum in?
maybe time to look at a change...

>Originally posted by Drs
>When was the last time a single-speed won the TdF?

"Desgranges wanted to see his racers suffer. Despite the invention and slow perfection of the derailleur over the years between 1904 and 1933, use of the derailleur was banned in
the tour until 1937! Hence, his racers were climbing 2642
meter high mountain passes (Col du Galibier, 8,668 feet)
without the benefit of a derailleur. To change gears, racers
had to get off their bikes and turn their rear wheel around to engage their climbing gear! (And this despite the fact that
Tullio Campagnolo had perfected a fully functional derailleur
by 1933!)"
http://www.experienceplus.com/tour_de_france_geography.html

In case you were curious :)

hippy

> >Originally posted by Drs When was the last time a single-
> >speed won the TdF?
>
> "Desgranges wanted to see his racers suffer. Despite the
> invention and slow perfection of the derailleur over the
> years between 1904 and 1933, use of the derailleur was
> banned in the tour until 1937! Hence, his racers were
> climbing 2642 meter high mountain passes (Col du Galibier,
> 8,668 feet) without the benefit of a derailleur. To change
> gears, racers had to get off their bikes and turn their
> rear wheel around to engage their climbing gear! (And this
> despite the fact that Tullio Campagnolo had perfected a
> fully functional derailleur by 1933!)" http://www.experie-
> nceplus.com/tour_de_france_geography.html
>
> In case you were curious :)
>
> hippy

Encouraged by their success in banning the "superman"
position and writing off all the hour records since the
"standard" bike of the 1970's, it's only a matter of time
before the UCI bans multi-geared bikes and declares all Tour
records since 1937 as illegal. "Standard" bikes for the Tour
will only have reversable wheels and wingnuts!

Marty

>Originally posted by Marty Wallace
>Encouraged by their success in banning the "superman"
>position and writing off all the hour records since the

Speaking of the superman position ... my copy of the Graeme
Obree autobiography has arrived! YAY!!

hippy

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Drs wrote:
> > It is possible to cancel your own posts on Usenet,
> > although not
> all > servers will honour cancel messages because of the
> high number of > frauds. However, I suspect it's more
> likely Zebee's post simply hasn't > circulated to your
> server yet (which is precisely why you should always >
> quote relevant material - there is no guarantee that all
> posts will > reach all servers).
>
> Oh.
>
> what do you 'read' this forum in? maybe time to look at a
> change...

I use the often unfairly maligned Outlook Express but I
don't see what you're driving at. If Zebee's post didn't hit
cyclingforum's NNTP server then your choice of client won't
change anything.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Originally posted by flyingdutch
Your on!!!

warning. thou holds true to the 'italian way' so the roadies are attired with 'true-believer' equipment
Jap-**** is purely for mtb's

Okie dokie! I'll have a bash (metaphorically speaking of course!) at some exotic meditteranean equipment and leave you to wrestle with bouncy-squishy jap-****.... :D

And just so you know what you'll be dealing with: (http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/Bike_full/product_19315.shtml)

Want to email/PM me to sort out the details of the great bike exchange?

Update...

Yeah, on-topic now :p

Rang the powdercoaters today and they said the frame will be
ready tomorrow afternoon. I'll have to pick it up Sat morning
due to the evil 'W' word getting in the way of useful stuff..

Suppose I should think about building some wheels..
<calls out to FLBSG for help..>

BikeSoiler> Amber or Pale Ale?

hippy

Originally posted by hippy
>Originally posted by flyingdutch
>nah. didnt ask re the frame but i presume it was one of theirs
>(Paconi) and therefore most likely 531 or 531ST

Well, I coughed up my $3 train fare and zipped into Cecil
post-work. They had a few frames hanging up and I spotted a
couple in my size. There was the touring frame, which I wasn't so sure about given the 53.5 ST and 57TT dimensions. There was another bright pink bike, a Paconi (56/56), but it had internal cable routing and the welding/tube matchup looked _really_ bad
to my eyes. There was a yellow/purple(?) frame that also had very dodgy welds and there were some new frames (alu and steel) but these were too expensive.
So, Bicycle Recycle's selection of frames is still looking the most promising.. lets see if they get back to me about that grey Viner.

hippy
- bikesoiler, i'll still check out your frame...

I know that there isn't a hard and fast answer to this, but I'm just looking for ballpark figures. I'm a shortarse (5'6") and fairly normally proportioned. What sort of size frame should I be thinking about if I want to build up a road bike?

"Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hippy wrote:
> > >Originally posted by flyingdutch nah. didnt ask re
> > >the frame but i presume it was one of theirs (Paconi)
> > >and therefore most likely 531 or 531ST
> > Well, I coughed up my $3 train fare and zipped into
> > Cecil post-work. They had a few frames hanging up and
> > I spotted a couple in my size. There was the touring
> > frame, which I wasn't so sure about given the
53.5
> > ST and 57TT dimensions. There was another bright pink
> > bike, a Paconi
> > (56/56), but it had internal cable routing and the
> > welding/tube
matchup
> > looked _really_ bad to my eyes. There was a
> > yellow/purple(?) frame
that
> > also had very dodgy welds and there were some new
> > frames (alu and
steel)
> > but these were too expensive. So, Bicycle Recycle's
> > selection of
frames
> > is still looking the most promising.. lets see if they
> > get back to me about that grey Viner. hippy
> > - bikesoiler, i'll still check out your frame...
>

> I know that there isn't a hard and fast answer to this,
> but I'm just looking for ballpark figures. I'm a shortarse
> (5'6") and fairly normally proportioned. What sort of size
> frame should I be thinking about if I want to build up a
> road bike?

About 52 or 53 cm.

Marty

"Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> wrote:
> > About 52 or 53 cm. Marty
>

> Ahh, coolness. That's top tube, I take it?

Uhmm... That's the seat tube length measured from the centre
of the bottom bracket to the center of the top tube.

I just measured it with a tape measure to make sure and the
above is correct.

Marty