Hiring bikes in USA

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Ian, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Will want to hire bikes for a few days while on a US holiday. If I do, will I be charged lots for a
    helmet and for other extras like repair kit/spare tube, so its worth bringing them on the plane from
    home in the UK?

    Can anyone answer?

    Many thanks

    Tags:

  2. Cyclist101

    Cyclist101 Guest

    Ian wrote:
    > Will want to hire bikes for a few days while on a US holiday. If I do, will I be charged lots for
    > a helmet and for other extras like repair kit/spare tube, so its worth bringing them on the plane
    > from home in the UK?
    >
    > Can anyone answer?

    It really varies by vendor. Most believe people should ride with helmets and include them in the
    rate, others may charge extra. We may be able to help with names of shops who rent bikes if you give
    us an idea of where you're visiting. Hope your holiday is enjoyable.

  3. George

    George Guest

    For some time I've been collecting information on user experiences taking bikes on planes, trains,
    buses, boats, etc. There's lots of stuff on RENTALS (HIRING), folding bikes, boxing, airlines, and
    railroads around the world and how to ride in/out of about 120 airports.

    See it at http://www.BikeAccess.net

    I agree with the responder who said that it varies by vendor. Whenever I rent, I bring all that plus
    my own SPD pedals, Brooks saddle, and helmet.

    Ian wrote:
    > Will want to hire bikes for a few days while on a US holiday. If I do, will I be charged lots for
    > a helmet and for other extras like repair kit/spare tube, so its worth bringing them on the plane
    > from home in the UK?
    >
    > Can anyone answer?
    >
    > Many thanks

  4. Dick Durbin

    Dick Durbin Guest

    "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Will want to hire bikes for a few days while on a US holiday.

    For the sake of clarity, when you speak to the folks at an American shop, tell them you want to RENT
    a bike. In the US of A the word "hire" is a synonym for "employ."

    Dick Durbin

  5. Karen M.

    Karen M. Guest

    Ian wrote:
    > Will want to hire bikes for a few days while on a US holiday. If I do, will I be charged lots for
    > a helmet and for other extras like repair kit/spare tube, so its worth bringing them on the plane
    > from home in the UK?

    Helmets don't take up much room if you pack them full of clothes. Ditto tools. (Note: pack your
    tools in checked baggage. TSA stole my tool kit in April, even the plastic tire levers and
    patches. I tried to get them to explain the inherent danger of a spoke wrench or chain tool, but
    they were stupid. Knitting needles, no problem. A 4" long
    8/9mm wrench: into the trash, might be dangerous.) Also bring your shoes and gloves, if you wear
    them. May as well be comfortable on a rental bike. Depending on your destination, it might make
    sense to buy a bike and then sell it back to the shop. Some places are very amenable to this. (I
    used to work at a shop near a campus, and we'd "sell" bikes for the summer for $25, buy them back
    for $10. Great rental fee.) Where are you going? HTH --Karen M.

  6. Archer

    Archer Guest

    > Ian wrote:
    > > Will want to hire bikes for a few days while on a US holiday. If I do, will I be charged lots
    > > for a helmet and for other extras like repair kit/spare tube, so its worth bringing them on the
    > > plane from home in the UK?
    >
    > Helmets don't take up much room if you pack them full of clothes. Ditto tools. (Note: pack your
    > tools in checked baggage. TSA stole my tool kit in April, even the plastic tire levers and
    > patches. I tried to get them to explain the inherent danger of a spoke wrench or chain tool,
    > but they were stupid. Knitting needles, no problem. A 4" long
    > 8/9mm wrench: into the trash, might be dangerous.)

    Maybe they're afraid you might try to take the plane apart in mid-air <GG>.

    it's morning".

  7. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Dick Durbin wrote:
    > "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Will want to hire bikes for a few days while on a US holiday.
    >

    > For the sake of clarity, when you speak to the folks at an American shop, tell them you want to
    > RENT a bike. In the US of A the word "hire" is a synonym for "employ."
    >
    > Dick Durbin

    That's decent advice, but if "hire" is spoken with an obviously foreign accent, the meaning will be
    pretty clear.