Hiroshima justified? (wasRe: Enola Gay: Burnt flesh and other magnificent technological achievements

England was involved, but involuntarily. England's policy of appeasement was partially responsible
for the early German successes.

Jarg

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Gene Storey wrote:

murdered

> > Yea, they stayed home while their husbands and sons raped China, Korea, and Indo-China.
>
> That part I agree with.
>

> > They'd be raping your mother now if it wasn't for the American leadership in breaking the
> > enemies backs.
>
> American leadership in WW II? That is where we differ. England and its Commonwealth Allies were
> fighting in Europe and in SE Asia long before the
US

"Keith Willshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Gene Storey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:ZIoFb.3422$6l1.2935@okepread03...
> > "RogerM" <[email protected]> wrote
> > >

> > The only right thing to do, is to treat Arabs as something other than
> ****ers, and
> > end the energy economy which we have based on depletion of natural resources.
> >

> So you think we would be doing the Saudi's a favour by not buying their only product and allow
> their economy to collapse and their population to starve !
>
> I think I'd prefer you as an enemy to a friend.
>
> Keith

it would probably do Saudis a favor. Look at Israel. No oil but best economy in the region based on
hard work, thrift, discipline. Saudis have become lazy and corrupt with oil.

>You are right. However, anyone who justifies the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki based purely on
>estimates are on shaky ground. They keep saying how it saved lives. But, how do they know?

They extrapolated from the experience on Iwo Jima and (especially) Okinawa.

Typically, when Americans invaded a Japanese=held island, the Americans suffered one casualty for
each armed defender, and 97 percent of the Japanese died.

By mid-summer 1945, the Japanese had 650,000 men ready to defend Kyushu. That suggested something
north of 500,000 American and British Commonwealth casualties (not to be confused with fatalities),
and something north of 600,000 Japanese dead.

As for the Japanese dead, note that at the time of the surrender, seven Fat Boy plutonium bombs were
allocated to Operation Olympic, and the planners wanted twenty of them--one for each invasion beach,
plus one in reserve against a counterattack. So the estimates of Japanese dead were probably not far
off the mark.

And note also that one Kyushu had been secured, the larger battle was still to come!

all the best -- Dan Ford email: [email protected]

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

> That they are human. Besides, IMHO a soldier's life is no less precious than a civlians.

I disagree. A solidier (unless he's a draftee) CHOOSES to put his life on the line. A civilian who
gets a bomb dropped on his house wasn't given that choice.

> Soldiers, unless they willfully engage in criminal acts, are also innocent victims of war.

The whole 'being armed and trying to kill the enemy' aspect makes that argument clearly false.

> Having the means by which to defend themselves (even when that is possible) does not make them
> less innocent.

Yeah, it does. Along with trying to kill the other guys (and their wives and children).

--

"Homer, I'll tell you what I told Redford - 'It ain't gonna happen'" -
Paul Newman, The Simpsons

The ultimate purpose of humanity is to judge God.

I find that while malice and greed are prime motivations in human
behavior, it is a serious error to discount basic human stupidity.

On 21 Dec 2003 22:22:27 -0800, [email protected] (cave fish)
wrote:

>Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> RogerM wrote:
>>

>> > didn't have **** to with Pearl Harbor.
>>
>> Sure they did. They were part of an imperialist society that had been expanding in the Pacific.
>> They were the people who were providing the men to serve in the Japanese armed forces which had
>> invaded China and other Asian countries where they were set loose to terrorize the populace with
>> unimaginable atrocities. The people in those cities were busy manufacturing war materials and
>> providing other services that helped the war effort.
>
>You are partly right. No one is completely innocent, which is how Palestinians justify their
>bombing of Jewish civilians and how Al Qaeda defends its attack on NY. Since all of us pay taxes
>that support US foreign policy, yes we are all guilty.

Guilty of what? Christ you need help.

>However, in a case of open war between nations, while it may be justified to bomb key industrial
>areas supplying the war effort, do tell me how a newborn baby in a Hiroshima is guilty of anything?
>Or, kindergarten students? Or, members of the opposition? Or, those in jail for standing up to
>Japanese militarism? Or, old folks living out their last days?

The enemy is the enemy.

>The horror of Hiroshima is the sheer indiscrimate nature of the destruction. If atom bomb had been
>dropped on a Japanese military target it might have been justified. But, to kill like that in
>Hiroshima and Nagasaki was blind and savage overkill.

DUH, both cities were military targets that had previously been unbombed. Christ I can't believe
such arguments are even possible. If you anti-nuke flakes had lived back then we'd all be speaking
German or Japanese. Thank god there are people with guts and brians to see the world for what it is.
Sadly that also allows you losers to procreate.

More the pity.

--

"Conan, what is best in life?''

''To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.''

On 21 Dec 2003 22:27:02 -0800, [email protected] (cave fish)
wrote:

>> Yea, they stayed home while their husbands and sons raped China, Korea, and Indo-China. They'd be
>> raping your mother now if it wasn't for the American leadership in breaking the enemies backs.
>>
>> Women and children always pay for the sins of their fathers.
>

>Nobody is debating which side was on the right side of history. United States, no doubt. However,
>being on the right side of history doesn't give the winning side the right to wage any kind of war.
>Would it have been okay to drop a massive chemical or biological weapon on Hiroshima and infected
>the entire population with some horrible disease. This is considered too horrific even for use
>against soldiers as agreed by the Geneva Convention. In that case, it's all the worse to use a
>weapon of such terror(which includes nukes) on civilian populations. Yes, Americans were on the
>right side of history. It's a good thing we won. But, complete victory at any cost somehow
>undermines even the side on the right side of history.

And all you folks that moan about the nukes would have whined for their use if we had starved out
the Japs and you saw pictures of a million dead babies piled in every area of Honshu. Do you really
think that the Japs or the Nazi would not have nuked every major city if the tables had been turned?
Hell they sent their stupid balloon bombs for the sole purpose of killing US civilians, thank god
only one made it that I know of and it killed a school teacher in Oregon with several of her
students. Our victory was not undermined, except for selfrightous pinheads that would have ******
themselves if placed in the same position of having to decided.

--

"Conan, what is best in life?''

''To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.''

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 19:30:34 -0500, Dave Smith
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Dudhorse wrote:
>
>> > American leadership in WW II? That is where we differ. England and its Commonwealth Allies were
>> > fighting in Europe and in SE Asia long before the
>> US
>> > finally got involved.
>> >

>> ... quite true the Brits and the Commonwealth were fighting long before we Americans entered the
>> fray and also true you were losing till the U.S. arrived and Herr ****** let Britain off the hook
>> by attacking Russia.
>
>Credit where credit is true. Britain had managed to thwart an invasion of their island. The US
>had thought that it was a lost cause, but were more interested once they realized that Britain
>was not losing.

What total manure. There were Americans flying at that time for the British. We were giving them
ammo, food and several ships as well as guarding convoys. FDR wanted to jump into WW2 as faast as
possible and finally had to allow the Japanese to attack Pearl to get us in.

--

"TetsuwanATOM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I've read that Truman was considering dropping a bomb on Tokyo to avoid those losses that
> MacArthur predicted. At any rate, it wasn't "the bomb" alone that ended the war.

From what I read and have seen, it was supposed to be the entry of the Soviet Union into the war
(with Japan) that was the deciding factor. The bombs might have been the final straw, but the
prospect of an eventual joint Soviet / American invastion was really distasteful to them.

[email protected] (cave fish) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "tim gueguen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<fHoFb.772647$6C4.489343@pd7tw1no>...
> > "cave fish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > First, the Enola Gay exhibit? Nothing wrong with that. A museum's role is put important
> > > artifacts and items on display. You want details, read a book.
> > >
> > > -----
> > >
> > > My feeling about Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Morally unjustifiable
> >
> > There were 3 choices in 1945. One, attempt to force the Japanese to surrender with the nuclear
> > threat. Two, launch an eventual amphibious invasion of the Japanese mainland. Or three, blockade
> > Japan and wait for conditions to deteriorate sufficiently to make the Japanese surrender. All of
> > these choices would have resulted in deaths, both of Japanese civilians and Allied military
> > personel, along with civilians in those Asian countries where Japanese forces were still active.
> > The latter two were also problematic politically. The populations of the Allied states wanted
> > the war ended, some having gone thru more than half a decade of conflict. Even a blockade that
> > caused minimal Allied casualties would have been hard to promote politically.
> >
> > tim gueguen 101867
>
> You are right. However, anyone who justifies the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki based purely on
> estimates are on shaky ground. They keep saying how it saved lives. But, how do they know?
> Estimates are always flawed. Prior to Nazi attack on France, most German generals were extremely
> nervous and thought it would be a long hard war. They were proven wrong. The reason why the Korean
> War dragged on for so long was Mao's terrible estimates that overwhelming Chinese force would
> drive Americans entirely out of Korea. Hussein attacked Iran in the early 80s thinking Iran was in
> such a state of disarray that the war would be a cakewalk. To say for certain that the bombing of
> Hiroshima and Nagasaki saved lives is based on estimates which are even less trustworthy than
> statistics. And, you know what they say about statistics. Lies, damned lies, statistics. Now, I
> think we can make a valid argument that the invasion would have cost great many lives. But, we
> don't know for sure so to say that we saved lives is misleading.

No it's not. We know we saved American lives. As for the Japanese lives saved, that's up for debate
and can never be proven.

> Also, to say Japanese would have died to the last man in the case of US invasion based on the
> evidence of the fanatical fighting spirit among Japanese soldiers on islands such as Iwo Jima is
> also misleading. How do we know civilians would have resisted as doggedly as the soldiers on those
> islands? When US drove upwards in the Korean War, there was very little resistance from North
> Korean civilians. The problem began with the Chinese. When the Nazis attacked the Soviet Union,
> there was very little resistance from the Soviet civilian population, people who had been
> brainwashed and indoctrinated by the communist government under Stalin. Though Nazi Germany and
> Mussolini's Italy had also practiced brainwashing for over a decade, most civilians didn't take up
> arms. Estimates are not trustworthy.
>
> The atomic bombs would have been more justified if US had at least attempted to invade Japan. If
> US had tried that for a month and failed miserably, perhaps the use of atomic bombs would have
> been more justified, based on more reliable estimates based on real experience.

So you'd rather have spent American lives to prove invading was a bad idea, instead of going off of
the previous three years experience with the Japanese? Sounds like a great idea, you be the first
one off the boat to wade ashore, we're right behind you.

~Michael

> Also, to say Japanese would have died to the last man in the case of US invasion based on the
> evidence of the fanatical fighting spirit among Japanese soldiers on islands such as Iwo Jima is
> also misleading. How do we know civilians would have resisted as doggedly as the soldiers on those
> islands?

We didn't, so we didn't take any chances.

> The atomic bombs would have been more justified if US had at least attempted to invade Japan. If
> US had tried that for a month and failed miserably, perhaps the use of atomic bombs would have
> been more justified, based on more reliable estimates based on real experience. But, US didn't
> even try to invade Japan. It just wanted to end the war as quickly as possible and took the most
> draconian measures.

what's wrong with ending a war as quickly as possible and avoiding a costly invasion?

We had a weapon that could end that war in a matter of weeks or days. So let's invade and drag it
out for weeks and months so we can "justify" ending it with a super weapon?

Waste soldiers' lives so we wouldn't harm "innocent" civilians of an enemy country?

Where did youstudy war?

Not ten Japanese civilians were worth one American soldier.

We ended it.

LT

> The horror of Hiroshima is the sheer indiscrimate nature of the destruction. If atom bomb had been
> dropped on a Japanese military target it might have been justified. But, to kill like that in
> Hiroshima and Nagasaki was blind and savage overkill.

Hiroshima was a military target -- it was a port wity with several railroad lines running in and out
of it. That means supplies going to the Army.

LT

Roosevelt wanted to help the Brits (that was WHY lend-lease was what it was) but the the 'Murcan
Public (gotta love 'em) were staunchly ISOLATIONIST and in favour of "Europeans fight Europeans -
What concern is it of ours?" It took Pearl Harbour to awaken the US sentinment. Also, the
declaration of war by the US against Germany was in RESPONSE to Germany's declaration against the
US. Had Germany not done so, there is doubt that the US would have entered the European war.

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Gene Storey wrote:

murdered

> > Yea, they stayed home while their husbands and sons raped China, Korea, and Indo-China.
>
> That part I agree with.
>

> > They'd be raping your mother now if it wasn't for the American leadership in breaking the
> > enemies backs.
>
> American leadership in WW II? That is where we differ. England and its Commonwealth Allies were
> fighting in Europe and in SE Asia long before the
US
> finally got involved.
>

> > Women and children always pay for the sins of their fathers.

your history is a bit confused - The Soviets declared war on Japan exactly when they agreed to - 30
days after Yalta. japanese delay in surrendering was more due to bureaucratic imeptness than anyting
else. In th einterim. the use of fat man got authorized (the Japanese would have surrendered in ANY
case) In the end, Japan lost the Kirils anyway Of course, they had taken them _from_ Russia at the
end of the Russo-Japanese war in the early 1900's

news:[email protected]...

cave fish wrote:

> In that case, it's all the worse to use a weapon of such terror(which includes nukes) on civilian
> populations.

You are concerned about the terror unleashed on the population of Japan? It was nothing compared to
the terror unleashed on the people in places that the Japanese invaded and occupied. Sit down and
read "The Rape of Nanking" to find out about terrorizing a populace. Japanese soldiers tied groups
of Chinese men together with barbed wire and threw gasoline on them and then lit them afire. They
tied them up and used them for bayonet practise, lined them up had contests to see who could chop
off the most heads. Women of all ages were raped and usually killed, some even had sticks or other
objects shoved into their vaginas. The Allied soldiers who were captured by the Japanese faced
unimaginable hardship. They were enslaved, over worked and underfed, beaten and tortured.

Given the wide range of atrocities committed by the Japanese, is there terror faced by their
population when the war turned on them really something that we need to worry about?

> Yes, Americans were on the right side of history. It's a good thing we won. But, complete victory
> at any cost somehow undermines even the side on the right side of history.

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 07:11:46 -0600, Col. RJ <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>> Yea, they stayed home while their husbands and sons raped China, Korea, and Indo-China. They'd
>>> be raping your mother now if it wasn't for the American leadership in breaking the enemies
>>> backs.
>>>
>>> Women and children always pay for the sins of their fathers.
>>

>>Nobody is debating which side was on the right side of history. United States, no doubt. However,
>>being on the right side of history doesn't give the winning side the right to wage any kind of
>>war. Would it have been okay to drop a massive chemical or biological weapon on Hiroshima and
>>infected the entire population with some horrible disease. This is considered too horrific even
>>for use against soldiers as agreed by the Geneva Convention. In that case, it's all the worse to
>>use a weapon of such terror(which includes nukes) on civilian populations. Yes, Americans were on
>>the right side of history. It's a good thing we won. But, complete victory at any cost somehow
>>undermines even the side on the right side of history.
>
>And all you folks that moan about the nukes would have whined for their use if we had starved out
>the Japs and you saw pictures of a million dead babies piled in every area of Honshu. Do you really
>think that the Japs or the Nazi would not have nuked every major city if the tables had been
>turned? Hell they sent their stupid balloon bombs for the sole purpose of killing US civilians,
>thank god only one made it that I know of and it killed a school teacher in Oregon with several of
>her students. Our victory was not undermined, except for selfrightous pinheads that would have
>****** themselves if placed in the same position of having to decided.

I would point out to all those talking about the evil U.S., that the proof is in the occupation.
We had lost thousands of soldiers to illetgal execution, to starvation, to torture. And after
1945, Japan was utterly prostrate, we could have done anythign we desired. And out great vengeance
was to... Woprk to rebuild the nation, while insuring the creation of a political system that kept
the rightest from returning to power. We executed *some* Japanese, those who were responsible for
the worst war crimes, and although I do think that in some cases the findings were wrong, they got
a *court*, held in the open, and were not simply shot and dumped in an alley. More importantly, if
anything, the U.S. erred on the side of caution-- many officers that might have been in danger or
war crimes trials were simply left on their own. those who proclaim that the A-bomb was all about
"vengeance" on Japan conveniently avoid talking about our behaviour after we occupied Japan, when
we could have had all the vengeance we wanted.

cave fish wrote:
> You are right. However, anyone who justifies the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki based purely on
> estimates are on shaky ground. They keep saying how it saved lives. But, how do they know?

Because, in the real world, you have to go on the "Best Available Data" at the time. How do you
know? You don't - you go with what you have at the time and make the best decision at the time. And
you know your decision will be second-guessed later by armchair generals without a clue as to what
it was really like and with (what they view, at least) as perfect data based on hindsight.

> To say for certain that the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki saved lives is based on estimates
> which are even less trustworthy than statistics. And, you know what they say about statistics.
> Lies, damned lies, statistics.

No, it's based on statistics, using the best available, most recent, most applicable data
available at the time - the results of the invasions on the last several islands in the chain
leading up to Japan.

Can you suggest any better data they could have used that was available at the time?

> Now, I think we can make a valid argument that the invasion would have cost great many lives. But,
> we don't know for sure so to say that we saved lives is misleading.

No, it's not. The estimate of how many lives was saved may be off significantly, but the numbers
(including both military and civilian causalities) is in the low millions. The number of deaths
due to the bombings is in the low hundreds of thousands. That's a difference of an order of
magnitude (i.e., 10x). Both estimates can be off by factors of 2x-3x and still result in the
conclusion the usage was justified. You can perhaps argue the projections were off 50% one way of
the other but that would not change the final decision - dropping the bombs saved far, far more
lives then they took.

> Also, to say Japanese would have died to the last man in the case of US invasion based on the
> evidence of the fanatical fighting spirit among Japanese soldiers on islands such as Iwo Jima is
> also misleading. How do we know civilians would have resisted as doggedly as the soldiers on those
> islands?

How do we know they wouldn't? We were going on the best evidence we had. Can you provide any
applicable data, available to them at the time, which they could have used that suggested otherwise?

> When US drove upwards in the Korean War, there was very little resistance from North Korean
> civilians. The problem began with the Chinese.

1. North Korea in 1953 was not Japan in 1945. Different cultures.
2. Even if the cases were parallel, the US decision makers in 1945 didn't have access to this data,
since it hadn't happened yet.

> The atomic bombs would have been more justified if US had at least attempted to invade Japan. If
> US had tried that for a month and failed miserably, perhaps the use of atomic bombs would have
> been more justified, based on more reliable estimates based on real experience. But, US didn't
> even try to invade Japan. It just wanted to end the war as quickly as possible and took the most
> draconian measures.

Bull. Just starting an invasion would have cost many, many lives. It would have taken quite a while
to put together, during which time period more Japanese military and civilians would have died, due
to bombing and starvation. Then the start of the invasion itself would have started to kill many,
many on both sides. By "fail miserably", how many people would you have preferred died on both sides
before you make such a decision?

> Also, those who say Japanese lives were saved by the bombings are being facetious because these
> people couldn't care less if 5 or 10 million 'Japs' had died.

And your cite for this is what? Perhaps maybe the people making the decision were looking to spare
lives on both sides?

> This doesn't imply that US was on the wrong side of history. It was clearly on the right side, but
> its endgame strategy was wrong and such actions should never be repeated again in future wars.

So an endgame strategy that saved at least high hundreds of thousands if not low millions of lives
on both sides is wrong?

> The problem with this debate is the Left often opportunistically uses an issue like use of atomic
> weapons to blanketly discredit the entire American enterprise in world affairs. We can argue for
> sanity without bowing down to these America haters.

They why are you contributing to their argument?

and your response to the previous poster was accurate except for noting that the closer the US
got to the home islands the more fanatical the resistance became. Japanese deaths exponentially
increased on Okinawa as compared to other locations because the Ryukyus were a part of Japan. One
can speculate that the level of killing that would have resulted from an invasion would have been
on a par with the level of Okinawa, percentage wise (the Japanese military was wiped out almost
to a man.)

So what difference does it make now anyway? History is what it is. "Michael"

Charles Gray <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 21 Dec 2003 22:39:38 -0800, [email protected] (cave fish) wrote:
>
> >"Linda Terrell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<epxRkhlUwRo0-pn2-7PgD6QdS3d3F@dialup-

> >> Part of Japan's copnditions was to keep their army in China. You let a defeated enemy keep an
> >> army to come back at you? To go after others and build itself up?
> >>
> >> No.
> >>
> >> The PC had us make that mistake in the First Gulf War. Not again.
> >>
> >> LT
> >
> >You make a valid point but Japan's conditions for surrender; however, Americans refused to
> >consider anything other than unconditional surrender. Some historians argue that Japanese would
> >have agreed to a conditional surrender as long as Hirohito was free from prosecution. The irony
> >is US refused that condition, nuked Japan, won the won, and then maintained that Hirohito was
> >utterly blameless for the war.
> >
> >Also, the notion that Japanese empire could survive under any condition is ridiculous. Imperial
> >troops were sinking into the vast Asian continent and even if US didn't press for surrender of
> >any kind, Japanese empire was finished. They were surrounded by hostile natives, losing ground to
> >Allied troops, and isolated from the mother country after the American military having virtually
> >destroyed Japanese air force, navy, and transport ships.
> >
> >Japan had nothing left to go on. They had no fuel, no raw material, nothing at the end. Even if
> >America had decided to stop attacking Japan, America could have easily concentrated on Imperial
> >troops on the Asian mainland and have destroyed them mercilessly which was what was happening in
> >places like Philippines. The ratio of US/Japanese death was like 1,000 to 30,000.
>

> But you're also missing the information context-- this was long before "multiculturalism" was a
> common word, and long before asian studies departments were fixtures at most universities. Much
> of the work on Japan, pre-war by western authorities (the ones who would be consulted), were
> well.... inaccuarte. For one thing, this led to a great deal of ambiguity in western minds
> about the place of the emperor, arguably theone thing where a change in western stance might
> have led to a quick end of the war.

The hell with muliticulturalism and other leftist buffoonery. I'm not making a left vs right or people-of-
color vs white argument. I'm saying there are limits to everything if into fighting in WWII? Yes.
Were we on the right side? Yes. Did we have the moral right to break Japan's back and destroy its
empire? Yes. Did we have the right to indiscrimately destroy entire civilian populations? No. Your
argument is US uber alles. Do you ever think US made wrong decisions during WWII against Germans or
Japan? Or, is your position simply that ANYTHING and EVERYTHING USA did was good because what we do
is good, period. This is the sort of mentality that brought Germany and Japan to aggression, this
inability to reflect, to self-criticize, to justify anything they did. We don't need a US IS ALWAYS
BAD vs US IS ALWAYS GOOD dichotomy. We can believe in American values, justify American strategy,
while criticizing when Americans have failed in areas of tactics. We can justify the American cause
in WWII without apologizing for EVERYTHING Americans did. If we say Americans were completely
blameless in WWII, then we're playing God, not thinking humans.

> But, OTH, to the west, especially people who don't speak japanese, who don't know japanese
> cultuer, and have seen them acting as they did in Nanking, or Manilla, saying you're going
> to spare the emperor is the first step to "terms" and everyone knew how terms had played out
> in WWI.

What? Japan was on the Allied side in WWI. If you mean Germany, the problem was the Allies pushed
for far too harsh measures against Germany which surrendered unconditionally. The German emperor
lost his throne and Germany became a full democracy following WWI. What 'terms'? You mean ******?
That was a matter of spineless diplomacy on the part of the West; it didn't flow out of letting
Germans off easy following WWI. If anything, Germans were punished unduly, blamed for everything
when in fact other Europeans were in many ways almost as guilty for fanning the flames of war in the
first place.

> Maybe it wasn't correct, but I would point out that to this day, Japan has done everything they
> can to dodge responsibility for a flat out war of aggression and genocide against China, and that
> after complete surrender and occuaption.

This is an exaggeration but yes, it's true that Japanese conservatives wield great deal of power and
have not been honest about Japanese atrocities. But, who put those conservatives in power in the
first place? US, in its campaign against communism, installed conservatives back into power, made
Hirohito completely blameless, and encouraged Japanese not to dwell on its atrocities in
China(especially after China become communist and US enemy). US policy cocooned Japan from facing up
to injustice. Also, the nukes did a helluva good job of convincing the Japanese that they were among
the primary victims of WWII, that somehow the horror of Hiroshima and Nagasaki washed them of this
guilt. This argument is crazy but it's no absurd than the one that keeps bringing up Japanese
atrocities in Nanking. Nanking doesn't justify Hiroshima and Hiroshima doesn't absolve crimes
against Nanking. For Americans to say Hiroshima and Nagasaki were justified because of Japanese
atrocities is as ridiculous as Japanese saying Hiroshima and Nagasaki proves Japan wasn't alone in
perpetrating wholesale massacres. We can and must say both Nanking and Hiroshima were war atrocities
on a massive scale, unjustifiable on any ground. Wholesale, intentional, willful, indiscriminate
mass murder of entire civilian populations are never justified. This still doesn't invalidate the
American cause in WWII just as Japanese suffering doesn't validate their cause.

> And this makes all of the "of course they would have surrenderd" arguements suspect to the
> authorities of the time. Japanese soldiers had fought to the death in nearly every theatre,
> they had fought at Okinawa to the point that nearly 1/3rd of the civilian population had died,
> and there was no reason to believe that they'd either surrender or not fight for Japan.
> Waiting, by all accounts was never even considered by the allies, and invasion would have been
> very dangerous-- I have read some accounts, although I cannot vouch for them or even provide
> cites (this was back in 1986), the claimed that Downfall might have also involved the use of
> chemical weapons, and in any case, a full scale invasion would have killed quite as many as the
> bomb.

This still doesn't justify wholesale massacre of civilian populations. And, we speak with the
benefit of hindsight. We know Japan did surrender. But, Japan didn't surrender after Hiroshima. So,
wasn't that a false calculation and estimate? After Nagasaki, Japan did surrender. But, suppose
Japanese were as fanatical and crazy and dedicated to dying to the last person as American experts
had claimed. Suppose Japan hadn't surrendered after Nagasaki? Then we would have great many killed
for no purpose. Then, what's next? Do you keep nuking Japanese cities until everyone's dead or til
the Japanese government finally surrenders? Dropping those nukes was a risk and no guarantee that
Japan would surrender, if indeed, the argument was Japanese were willing to die to the last man and
woman. Why would such people fear the prospect of total annihilation? So, if Japan didn't surrender
after Nagasaki, what would you have done? Drop one on Osaka? If no surrender, then drop another on
Nigata, and so on and so on? Would you ever reach a point where you would consider conditional
surrender or ceasefire or would you nuke every town and city until finally some surviving village
elder surrendered?

> And more importantly, if Japan was so flat on their back, why didn't they surrender? The
> prapartions being made were for an all out attack on the allied forces, and the rightests were
> quite open in teir belief that ten million Japanese with bamboo spears and suicide bombs could
> throw us back.

Pride. For the same reason that the Confederates fought long and hard even when it became quite
certain that the Union was going to win. Ever see boxers all beaten up and helpless but still trying
to stand though they don't have a punch left in them? Also, if Japanese resistance to the Allies
amounted to bamboo spears and suicide bombs, then surely invasion should have been the option. Some
resistance! Some village women with a bamboo spear! Americans nuked Japan because American soldiers
were afraid of women and chilren with bamboo spears?

> if the U.S. bears any blame for Hiroshima, what about those officers, who were quite willing
> to throw their entire population onto the fire, long after it was plain to anyone with eyes
> that the war was over, and lost? If you blame the U.S. for killing Japan, you cannot then
> excuse the Japanese Imperial government for sacrificing those self same lives-- we had no
> responsiblity to protect Japanese lives, they did.

Japanese were savage, brutal, and insane. They started the war in Asia and broadened it to US. Japan
deserved to lose its empire and have its military destoryed and be isolated from world community.
All these things could have been accomplished without nukes and unconditional surrender.

In hindsight, US should have sent its main force against Japanese forces in China. US should have
secured China from Japan and then from Communists. US should have left Japan simmering in its
destruction, humiliation, and isolation. Those objectives were met prior to the nuking of Hiroshima
and Nagasaki. It sure would have saved US from wars in Korea and Vietnam.

[email protected] (Greg Moritz) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "TetsuwanATOM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<rsqdnf9yWdMPgnuiU-
> [email protected]>...
>
> > I've read that Truman was considering dropping a bomb on Tokyo to avoid those losses that
> > MacArthur predicted. At any rate, it wasn't "the bomb" alone that ended the war.
>
> From what I read and have seen, it was supposed to be the entry of the Soviet Union into the war
> (with Japan) that was the deciding factor. The bombs might have been the final straw, but the
> prospect of an eventual joint Soviet / American invastion was really distasteful to them.

This is unconvincing. The only reason why Russians were engaged in the eastern sphere was because
FDR wanted Russians there, to minimize US casualties. Very shortsighted thinking, espcially since
Japanese military was vastly overrated in China. Russians went to Japanese like butter in Manchuria,
which is what made Russians hungry for more.

Russians would not have dared invade Japan if Americans adamantly opposed such idea. Perhaps, the
nukes were used to demonstrate US power to the Russians but whether Russia jointly invaded Japan or
not was entirely up to the Americans.

Charles Gray <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 21 Dec 2003 22:22:27 -0800, [email protected] (cave fish) wrote:
>

> >However, in a case of open war between nations, while it may be justified to bomb key industrial
> >areas supplying the war effort, do tell me how a newborn baby in a Hiroshima is guilty of
> >anything? Or, kindergarten students? Or, members of the opposition? Or, those in jail for
> >standing up to Japanese militarism? Or, old folks living out their last days?
>
> Um, Hiroshima was HQ for several major Japanese Army and Navy units. It was also a location of
> numerous factories and transport facilities, which in the normal order of things woudl have
> been leveled by the same sort of raid you saw on Tokyo. Also, you might look at Stalingrad to
> see the result of a full scale ground battle-- or the starvation that comes attendent a longer
> blockade.

If Hiroshima had factories or military units,then you bomb those targets. You don't indiscrimately
destroy hospitals and kindergartens and homes. Granted, even in conventional bombing raids, some
bombs go astray, but to willfully destroy an entire civilian population is insane. As for
Stalingrad, what are you saying? That if Nazis had nukes, it should have used them against
Stalingrad and just be done with it? I'm sure Nazis would have--also against Leningrad, Moscow, etc--
but how is that a moral argument? That is a strategic argument completely devoid of morality. Yes,
if you kill everyone in a single moment, you don't have to worry about blockades or starvation but
then you don't have any people to worry about.

> >The horror of Hiroshima is the sheer indiscrimate nature of the destruction. If atom bomb had
> >been dropped on a Japanese military target it might have been justified. But, to kill like that
> >in Hiroshima and Nagasaki was blind and savage overkill.

> Why? Both cities were legitimate targets with affiliated mlitary and industrial targets.

Again, US would have been justified in bombing factories, bridges, railroad tracks, etc. Just
because a city has legitimate targets doesn't make the entire city a legitimate target. If the city
YOU live in has industrial centers, then they are legitimate targets to the enemy. However, the
schools, hospitals, suburban homes, nursing homes, etc are NOT legitimate targets. Even when only
legitimate targets are targeted, many civilians end up as casualties. That's bad enough but when you
knowingly target an entire civilian population, that's insanity.

For example, you say Nagasaki was a legitimate target. It was also the most Christian city in
Japan, a city with many dissidents who had stood up to the military government. Also, 20% of the
deaths in Nagasaki were Koreans brought to Japan as slaves. How were they guilty? It's this kind
of indicriminate slaugther that makes the use of atomic bombs wrong. The notion of 'legitimate
target' becomes meaningless as EVERYTHING becomes a target, from toddler to factory worker to
dissident to soldier.

>Far more than say, Nanking after its surrender. If the japanese were treated savagely, they have
>BEHAVED savagely.

Let's get one thing clear. US didn't fight Japan to save Chinese lives. In fact, when Nanking
massacre happened, it was pretty much ignored in the US press. Also, up thru early 40s, US supplied
Japan with scrap iron and fuel which largely made Japan's military in China possible. Also,
American feelings about Chinese in California and elsewhere were as hostile and vicious as Japanese
attitudes in Asia. American Congress passed bills forbidding Chinese Americans from gaining
citizenship or even immigrating to the US. Let's not carry on with this charade about American
savagery against Japan being justified by Japanese savagery against China. Even regarding Jews
being slaughtered in Germany most Americans--including majority of politicos--could have cared
less. It was about American global power and influence. That United States was on the right side of
history, that American values--despite their huge flaws--were helluva lot more sane than Nazi
lunacy or Japanese Feudalist Militarism cannot be denied. But, American war with Japan had NOTHING
to do with Japanese barbarism against Chinese. That simply became a moralistic ploy to make us feel
good, but it had little to do with reality. Also, how Japanese soldier acting savagely against
Chinese civilians justifies our savage acts against Japanese civilians is beyond me. So, if a
Japanese soldier bayonets a Chinese baby, that somehow justifies an American soldier bayoneting a
Japanese baby? That's poor moral logic. If Iraqis used chemical weapons against Iranians(as they
have done), it gives US the right to use chemical weapons against Iraqi civilians? I don't follow
the logic of your argument.

> As for the others-- war is nasty and part of it is the fact that innocents get caught in the
> middle.

This too is not a moral argument. War is nasty so anything goes? In that case, the Nanking massacre
is no less abominable than other atrocities as some chauvanistic unrepentant Japanese have claimed.
Heck, it was war, what did you expect? This is crazy. This is international nihilism. Also, yes,
it's sad that innocents get CAUGHT in the middle. However, bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were
cases of civilians as main targets. If two neighbors get into a fight and throw things at
eachother's house, it's possible that one of their children might get hit by being caught in the

> But again, all Japan had to
> do at this point was surrender.

One problem. The only peole with that authority were those in the government. So, why vaporize
100,000s because of the stubborn policy of the government? Also, there were other options if US
really wanted to (1)save US lives
(2)not resort to wholesale massacre of Japanese civilians. Forget a surrender, negotiate a cease-
fire and then destroy the remnants of the empire on the mainland which would have been easy.
There was no way Japan could have supplied forces on the mainland with its navy and airforce in
ruins. Japanese soldiers were low on food and ammo, disoriented, hapless against the Russians, on
the run from the Chinese. Why bother to wrestle with a nation of 80,000,000 when US could have
easily destroyed a force of one million on the mainland and with enthusiatic Chinese help?
Chinese communists, ill-equipped and ragtag, were having great successes against the vastly
superior Japanese. Russians had no trouble at all against Manchuria where Japanese military
strength was most formidable. US could have saved China from Japan, then from communists. Japan,
isolated and without fuel and raw materials, would have become a secondrate power, even today.
Had US guided China on the right path instead of wasting its effort in Japan, there would have
been no communist victory in China. Then there would have been no Korean War and no Vietnam War
which were both offshoots of the Chinese communist model.

> The only children and young women killed during the occupation was from soldiers disobeying
> the orders of their commanders-- and in several cases, those soldiers were hung by the neck
> until dead.

What's that got to do with anything? That's like saying there were lynchings in the American South,
so that justifies nuking Birmingham or New Orleans. And, if you're so concerned about Japanese women
and children, what's with justifying the instant vaporization of countless women and children? Oh, I
see, killing one person is a tragedy but killing countless many is just statistics.

> Finally, as for savage overkill, Kyoto was on the list-- it was excised due to the fact that
> it had few industries and was the cultural heart of Japan. If it was the "blind and savage"
> overkill, you describe, such a cultural city would have been a preferred target, not one
> that was spared.

Miraculously, Kyoto was spared but since when are cultural and artistic significance the only
criteria for what's blind overkill or not? So, you're saying if Boston, a city with many important
historic sites, is nuked, that would be blind overkill but if some humdrum factory town in the US
was nuked, well then that's just too bad. While I value art and cultural heritage as much as the
next person, killing countless civilians is overkill enough. By your argument, if Hiroshima has
some nice ancient Japanese garden then it would not have been justified. The idea of whether the
entire civilian populatin gets spared or not based on what kind of garden or palace it has is
pretty surreal.