Historic Perspectives on Clinical Use and Efficacy of Silver

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by dali, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. dali

    dali Guest

    If your new to silver this is a very good site imho.

    http://www.oligodynamic.com/history.html

    The whole site is interesting although I've posted most of it before.
    Except for the little tidbit below. Seams like silver should give stem
    cell research a run for it's money.

    A project begun in the early 1970's by Robert Becker, an orthopedic
    surgeon, involved a silver nylon product. This project was instigated
    in order to find an electromagnetic shield. Instead, it lead to the
    revolutionary discoveries by Becker of silver's unique properties to
    increase the rate of tissue regeneration in diseased or damaged tissues
    and his discovery that silver ions could induce fibrocytes to
    dedifferentiate into stem cells and back again. Becker also addressed
    the fact that children under 4 years of age could regenerate fingertips
    with silver. His extensive studies suggest that the regeneration effect
    initiated by silver appears to be similar to that seen in salamanders,
    which regenerate lost parts.

    Tags:

  2. As read on the net:

    "Colloidal silver is a suspension of submicroscopic metallic silver
    particles in a colloidal base. Long-term use of silver preparations can
    lead to argyria, a condition in which silver salts deposit in the skin,
    eyes, and internal organs, and the skin turns ashen-gray. Many cases of
    argyria occurred during the pre-antibiotic era when silver was a common
    ingredient in nosedrops. When the cause became apparent, doctors stopped
    recommending their use, and reputable manufacturers stopped producing
    them.
    The official drug guidebooks (United States Pharmacopeia and National
    Formulary) have not listed colloidal silver products since 1975."

  3. dali

    dali Guest

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:38:43 -0400, Mark Probert
    <[email protected]> stated:

    >dali wrote:
    >> If your new to silver this is a very good site imho.
    >>
    >> http://www.oligodynamic.com/history.html

    >More good stuff:
    >
    >http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~ear/mi-97-3.html
    >
    >http://www.fda.gov/cvm/CVM_Updates/silver.html
    >
    >http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/ANS00971.html
    >
    >http://www.fda.gov/cder/warn/cyber/2002/CFSANnaturesrx.htm

    Yes the government will eat every single word.
    I forsee in the near future reporters asking questions like "could
    millions of people been saved if proper research had been done?" or
    "Is it not up to our government to protect it's citizens?" and on and
    on....

    also, noticed you decided to drop quackwatch as a credible source?

  4. Mark Probert

    Mark Probert Guest

    dali wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:38:43 -0400, Mark Probert
    > <[email protected]> stated:
    >

    >>dali wrote:
    >>
    >>>If your new to silver this is a very good site imho.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.oligodynamic.com/history.html

    >>More good stuff:
    >>
    >>http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~ear/mi-97-3.html
    >>
    >>http://www.fda.gov/cvm/CVM_Updates/silver.html
    >>
    >>http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/ANS00971.html
    >>
    >>http://www.fda.gov/cder/warn/cyber/2002/CFSANnaturesrx.htm

    > Yes the government will eat every single word.

    Highly doubtful. That would take re-writing medicine.

    > I forsee in the near future reporters asking questions like "could
    > millions of people been saved if proper research had been done?" or
    > "Is it not up to our government to protect it's citizens?" and on and
    > on....
    >
    > also, noticed you decided to drop quackwatch as a credible source?

    Nah...I would post Quackwatch, but the FDA did such a nice job.

  5. dali

    dali Guest

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:40:05 -0400, Mark Probert
    <[email protected]> stated:

    >dali wrote:
    >> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:38:43 -0400, Mark Probert
    >> <[email protected]> stated:

    >>>More good stuff:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~ear/mi-97-3.html
    >>>
    >>>http://www.fda.gov/cvm/CVM_Updates/silver.html
    >>>
    >>>http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/ANS00971.html
    >>>
    >>>http://www.fda.gov/cder/warn/cyber/2002/CFSANnaturesrx.htm

    >> Yes the government will eat every single word.

    >Highly doubtful. That would take re-writing medicine.
    >
    >> I forsee in the near future reporters asking questions like "could
    >> millions of people been saved if proper research had been done?" or
    >> "Is it not up to our government to protect it's citizens?" and on and
    >> on....
    >>
    >> also, noticed you decided to drop quackwatch as a credible source?

    >Nah...I would post Quackwatch, but the FDA did such a nice job.

    Also during the 1950's, Czech researchers developed a gennicidal
    silver product called "Movidyn". It was initially popular because it
    was much less expensive than chlorine-based disinfectants. Studies of
    contaminated wells found that Movidyn completely eliminated anaerobic
    bacteria such as Vibrio cholerae, which causes cholera, and aerobic
    bacteria such as Escherichia coli, a potential enteric pathogen and
    the most common organism associated with "traveler's diarrhea", and
    the Rickettsial pathogens associated with typhus, and protozoa such as
    Entamoeba histolytica associated with amebiasis. Apparently the Soviet
    military had the Czech manufacturing facility disassembled and shipped
    to Russia.

    Interesting. So not only do the chinese know about it...

    Any idea as to why the FDA hasn't shut this Dr.Rentz guy down?

  6. Mark Probert

    Mark Probert Guest

    dali wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:40:05 -0400, Mark Probert
    > <[email protected]> stated:
    >

    >>dali wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:38:43 -0400, Mark Probert
    >>><[email protected]> stated:

    >>>Yes the government will eat every single word.

    >>Highly doubtful. That would take re-writing medicine.
    >>

    >>>I forsee in the near future reporters asking questions like "could
    >>>millions of people been saved if proper research had been done?" or
    >>>"Is it not up to our government to protect it's citizens?" and on and
    >>>on....
    >>>
    >>>also, noticed you decided to drop quackwatch as a credible source?

    >>Nah...I would post Quackwatch, but the FDA did such a nice job.

    > Also during the 1950's, Czech researchers developed a gennicidal
    > silver product called "Movidyn". It was initially popular because it
    > was much less expensive than chlorine-based disinfectants. Studies of
    > contaminated wells found that Movidyn completely eliminated anaerobic
    > bacteria such as Vibrio cholerae, which causes cholera, and aerobic
    > bacteria such as Escherichia coli, a potential enteric pathogen and
    > the most common organism associated with "traveler's diarrhea", and
    > the Rickettsial pathogens associated with typhus, and protozoa such as
    > Entamoeba histolytica associated with amebiasis. Apparently the Soviet
    > military had the Czech manufacturing facility disassembled and shipped
    > to Russia.
    >
    > Interesting. So not only do the chinese know about it...
    >
    > Any idea as to why the FDA hasn't shut this Dr.Rentz guy down?

    His website is just getting started. Only one page is up and running,
    and the rest are underconstruction.

    His main practice is in Florida, with licenses in NC and Iowa. NC lists
    him as a physiatrist.

    He has NO hospital admitting privileges. I find that most curious.

  7. dali

    dali Guest

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:59:10 -0400, Mark Probert
    <[email protected]> stated:

    >dali wrote:
    >> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:40:05 -0400, Mark Probert
    >> <[email protected]> stated:

    >>>Highly doubtful. That would take re-writing medicine.

    >>>Nah...I would post Quackwatch, but the FDA did such a nice job.

    >> Also during the 1950's, Czech researchers developed a gennicidal
    >> silver product called "Movidyn". It was initially popular because it
    >> was much less expensive than chlorine-based disinfectants. Studies of
    >> contaminated wells found that Movidyn completely eliminated anaerobic
    >> bacteria such as Vibrio cholerae, which causes cholera, and aerobic
    >> bacteria such as Escherichia coli, a potential enteric pathogen and
    >> the most common organism associated with "traveler's diarrhea", and
    >> the Rickettsial pathogens associated with typhus, and protozoa such as
    >> Entamoeba histolytica associated with amebiasis. Apparently the Soviet
    >> military had the Czech manufacturing facility disassembled and shipped
    >> to Russia.
    >>
    >> Interesting. So not only do the chinese know about it...
    >>
    >> Any idea as to why the FDA hasn't shut this Dr.Rentz guy down?

    >His website is just getting started. Only one page is up and running,
    >and the rest are underconstruction.
    >
    >His main practice is in Florida, with licenses in NC and Iowa. NC lists
    >him as a physiatrist.
    >
    >He has NO hospital admitting privileges. I find that most curious.

    So you have no problem with his website?

    Should it be shut down?

  8. Mark Probert

    Mark Probert Guest

    dali wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:59:10 -0400, Mark Probert
    > <[email protected]> stated:
    >

    >>dali wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:40:05 -0400, Mark Probert
    >>><[email protected]> stated:

    >>> Also during the 1950's, Czech researchers developed a gennicidal
    >>>silver product called "Movidyn". It was initially popular because it
    >>>was much less expensive than chlorine-based disinfectants. Studies of
    >>>contaminated wells found that Movidyn completely eliminated anaerobic
    >>>bacteria such as Vibrio cholerae, which causes cholera, and aerobic
    >>>bacteria such as Escherichia coli, a potential enteric pathogen and
    >>>the most common organism associated with "traveler's diarrhea", and
    >>>the Rickettsial pathogens associated with typhus, and protozoa such as
    >>>Entamoeba histolytica associated with amebiasis. Apparently the Soviet
    >>>military had the Czech manufacturing facility disassembled and shipped
    >>>to Russia.
    >>>
    >>>Interesting. So not only do the chinese know about it...
    >>>
    >>>Any idea as to why the FDA hasn't shut this Dr.Rentz guy down?

    >>His website is just getting started. Only one page is up and running,
    >>and the rest are underconstruction.
    >>
    >>His main practice is in Florida, with licenses in NC and Iowa. NC lists
    >>him as a physiatrist.
    >>
    >>He has NO hospital admitting privileges. I find that most curious.
    >>

    > So you have no problem with his website?
    >
    > Should it be shut down?

    I am not in favor of censorship. If his medical practice deviates from
    the standards of the community, then HE should be shut down.

  9. dali

    dali Guest

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:20:38 -0400, Mark Probert
    <[email protected]> stated:

    >dali wrote:
    >> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:59:10 -0400, Mark Probert
    >> <[email protected]> stated:

    >>>His website is just getting started. Only one page is up and running,
    >>>and the rest are underconstruction.
    >>>
    >>>His main practice is in Florida, with licenses in NC and Iowa. NC lists
    >>>him as a physiatrist.
    >>>
    >>>He has NO hospital admitting privileges. I find that most curious.
    >>>

    >> So you have no problem with his website?
    >>
    >> Should it be shut down?

    >I am not in favor of censorship. If his medical practice deviates from
    >the standards of the community, then HE should be shut down.

    the problem is the "standards of the community."

  10. montygram

    montygram Guest

    Even if all the claims about it were true, there are better ways of
    keeping your body resistant to "pathogens." You only need to pack your
    body with unreactive saturated fatty acids and non-oxidized
    cholesterol, assuming you are eating good-quality protein, avoiding
    unsaturated fatty acids, getting enough electrolyte minerals, producing
    enough stomach acid, etc., and you can eat antioxidant-rich foods like
    berries and dark chocolate, and drink white tea or coffee, and you
    won't have to take chances with silver and all the other "wonder"
    supplements out there. A little organic red wine with meals would help
    too.

    Consider this: if people needed silver in order to avoid dying of all
    kinds of infections, we would not be here today. Our species would be
    extinct. And how is it that all the other mammals can survive without
    silver? The issue is very basic, that is, avoiding excess biochemical
    activity/free radical activity, and it's very easy to do if you
    understand which foods quench it and which foods fuel it.

  11. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Silver for antibiotic resistant strains?

    The WHO(Word Health Organization) has said to expect an outbreak of
    bird flue.
    They are aware of a newer more leathal strain. They have been informing
    the world
    but the politicians have kept quiet. The population of the world knows
    little about it.

    Overuse of antibiotics and the weak immune system of people is
    going to make it worse. Predictions are one billion people infected.

    These natural disasters have been predicted.

  12. Rich

    Rich Guest

    "Nick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Silver for antibiotic resistant strains?
    >
    > The WHO(Word Health Organization) has said to expect an outbreak of
    > bird flue.

    This is true. The WHO and the CDC have been warning that an avian influenza
    pandemic may be threatening.

    > They are aware of a newer more leathal strain. They have been informing
    > the world
    > but the politicians have kept quiet. The population of the world knows
    > little about it.

    Only the population that hasn't been paying attention.

    > Overuse of antibiotics and the weak immune system of people is
    > going to make it worse.

    Overuse of antibiotics has nothing whatever to do with a flu epidemic.
    Influenza is caused by a virus, and except for a couple of antiviral
    medications, antibiotics have no effect on the disease.

    > Predictions are one billion people infected.

    In the 1918 influenza pandemic was the most devastating epidemic in the
    history of the world. It killed at least 20 million people, and possibly as
    many as 40 million worldwide. The U.S. death toll was about 570,000.
    Considering that the planet's human population is much larger and much more
    mobile than it was in 1918, and that our ability to treat the disease once
    it has been contracted is little improved, a modern epidemic may well be
    much worse.

    > These natural disasters have been predicted.

    Our best hope of attenuating an avian influenza epidemic is the rapid
    development and wide distribution of a vaccine specific for the strain of
    H5N1 virus that is causing the disease. I hope that the anti-vac liars do
    not interfere with this life-saving process.
    --

    --Rich

    Recommended websites:

    http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles
    http://www.acahf.org.au
    http://www.quackwatch.org/
    http://www.skeptic.com/
    http://www.csicop.org/

  13. MMu

    MMu Guest

    "montygram" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]
    > Consider this: if people needed silver in order to avoid dying of all
    > kinds of infections, we would not be here today. Our species would be
    > extinct. And how is it that all the other mammals can survive without
    > silver? The issue is very basic, that is, avoiding excess biochemical
    > activity/free radical activity, and it's very easy to do if you
    > understand which foods quench it and which foods fuel it.

    the same "logic" applies to PUFA. If pufa were so deadly as you assume we
    would all be extinct, especially people living on the seaside.

  14. Mark Probert

    Mark Probert Guest

    dali wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:20:38 -0400, Mark Probert
    > <[email protected]> stated:
    >

    >>dali wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:59:10 -0400, Mark Probert
    >>><[email protected]> stated:

    >>>So you have no problem with his website?
    >>>
    >>>Should it be shut down?

    >>I am not in favor of censorship. If his medical practice deviates from
    >>the standards of the community, then HE should be shut down.
    >>

    > the problem is the "standards of the community."

    The Hulda Clarks, Dr. Kerry's, Burdzynskis, et al, Kadile's, Suster's
    should be out of practice.

  15. Mark Probert

    Mark Probert Guest

    Nick wrote:
    > Silver for antibiotic resistant strains?
    >
    > The WHO(Word Health Organization) has said to expect an outbreak of
    > bird flue.
    > They are aware of a newer more leathal strain. They have been informing
    > the world
    > but the politicians have kept quiet. The population of the world knows
    > little about it.
    >
    > Overuse of antibiotics and the weak immune system of people is
    > going to make it worse. Predictions are one billion people infected.
    >
    > These natural disasters have been predicted.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050930...7fVKe8R.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

    WHO backs away from 150 million flu deaths By Stephanie Nebehay
    34 minutes ago

    The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday 2-7.4 million deaths
    was a reasonable working forecast for a global influenza pandemic --
    distancing itself from a top U.N. official's figure of up to 150 million.

    Dr. David Nabarro, named on Thursday as the U.N. coordinator for global
    readiness against an outbreak, had said that the world response would
    determine whether a flu virus ends up killing 5 million or as many as
    150 million.

    The top figure, which was widely quoted in news reports, would be some
    three times the toll from the most lethal flu pandemic so far recorded
    -- the 1918-19 'Spanish flu' outbreak in which up to 50 million may have
    died.

    "There is obvious confusion, and I think that has to be straightened
    out. I don't think you will hear Dr. Nabarro say the same sort of thing
    again," WHO influenza spokesman Dick Thompson told a news briefing.

    The WHO, the U.N. health agency, conceded that all forecasts were
    guesswork and said Nabarro's comments had merely reflected widely
    diverging expert opinion.

    "But we think that this is the most reasoned position," he added,
    referring to its long-standing forecast of 2-7.4 million, which comes
    from a study by the U.S.-based Centers for Disease Control (CDC), a WHO
    collaborating center.

    The U.N. health agency is however very worried about the latest strain
    of avian flu -- so-called bird flu -- which has hit a number of Asian
    countries and which it fears has the potential to trigger a new pandemic.

    It says the current H5N1 strain of bird flu cannot be easily transmitted
    among humans, but it is monitoring the virus to see whether there are
    any genetic changes which could make it become more lethal and spread
    more rapidly.

    "We believe and are very concerned that this virus -- which is now
    widely circulating in the environment and moving west -- has the
    potential to ignite a pandemic," Thompson said.

    So far, the H5N1 virus has mainly infected humans who were in close
    contact with infected birds and has killed 66 people in four Asian
    nations --Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and Cambodia -- since late 2003.

    The virus has also been found in birds in Russia and Europe.

    There were three pandemics in the last century. The last two, in 1957
    and 1968, each caused between one and four million excess deaths,
    according to the WHO.

    Seasonal flu normally kills up to 500,000 in any year.

    Only when a pandemic begins will experts really be able to assess its
    fatality rate.

    "You could pick almost any number. There is this vast range of numbers,
    absolutely. One of those numbers will turn out to be right," Thompson
    said. "All of this is guesswork, nobody knows."

  16. Mark Probert

    Mark Probert Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > "Nick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Silver for antibiotic resistant strains?
    >>
    >>The WHO(Word Health Organization) has said to expect an outbreak of
    >>bird flue.

    > This is true. The WHO and the CDC have been warning that an avian influenza
    > pandemic may be threatening.

    And the recent canine flu....

    >>They are aware of a newer more leathal strain. They have been informing
    >>the world
    >>but the politicians have kept quiet. The population of the world knows
    >>little about it.

    > Only the population that hasn't been paying attention.

    The anti-vacs on some groups have. They have been downplaying the problem.

    >>Overuse of antibiotics and the weak immune system of people is
    >>going to make it worse.

    > Overuse of antibiotics has nothing whatever to do with a flu epidemic.
    > Influenza is caused by a virus, and except for a couple of antiviral
    > medications, antibiotics have no effect on the disease.

    >>Predictions are one billion people infected.

    > In the 1918 influenza pandemic was the most devastating epidemic in the
    > history of the world. It killed at least 20 million people, and possibly as
    > many as 40 million worldwide. The U.S. death toll was about 570,000.
    > Considering that the planet's human population is much larger and much more
    > mobile than it was in 1918, and that our ability to treat the disease once
    > it has been contracted is little improved, a modern epidemic may well be
    > much worse.

    Not if you take the right supplement/herb/magic potion! ;)

    Sounds like another great marketing idea.

    >>These natural disasters have been predicted.

    > Our best hope of attenuating an avian influenza epidemic is the rapid
    > development and wide distribution of a vaccine specific for the strain of
    > H5N1 virus that is causing the disease. I hope that the anti-vac liars do
    > not interfere with this life-saving process.

    They will. Guaranteed. I have no doubt about it.

  17. dali

    dali Guest

    montygram wrote:
    > Even if all the claims about it were true, there are better ways of
    > keeping your body resistant to "pathogens." You only need to pack your
    > body with unreactive saturated fatty acids and non-oxidized
    > cholesterol, assuming you are eating good-quality protein, avoiding
    > unsaturated fatty acids, getting enough electrolyte minerals, producing
    > enough stomach acid, etc., and you can eat antioxidant-rich foods like
    > berries and dark chocolate, and drink white tea or coffee, and you
    > won't have to take chances with silver and all the other "wonder"
    > supplements out there. A little organic red wine with meals would help
    > too.
    >
    > Consider this: if people needed silver in order to avoid dying of all
    > kinds of infections, we would not be here today. Our species would be
    > extinct. And how is it that all the other mammals can survive without
    > silver? The issue is very basic, that is, avoiding excess biochemical
    > activity/free radical activity, and it's very easy to do if you
    > understand which foods quench it and which foods fuel it.

    The healthiest athlete in the world if bit by a tick containing
    borrelia will succumb to disease. Our species is not extinct due
    natural selection. Any infectious agent which kills the host before it
    can spread to other host has killed itself. ie that virulent strain of
    pathogen.
    I agree with the other statement afaik. good health = good nutrition
    and I would include silver as another essential mineral to our diet.

  18. dali

    dali Guest

    Mark Probert wrote:
    > dali wrote:
    > > On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:20:38 -0400, Mark Probert
    > > <[email protected]> stated:

    > >>I am not in favor of censorship. If his medical practice deviates from
    > >>the standards of the community, then HE should be shut down.
    > >>

    > > the problem is the "standards of the community."

    > The Hulda Clarks, Dr. Kerry's, Burdzynskis, et al, Kadile's, Suster's
    > should be out of practice.

    Possibly. Anyone proven to be a charlatan should be.
    BUT. It should be based on science, not opinion or because the
    government says so.

  19. dali

    dali Guest

    As to the epidemic no need to wait. it's already here.

    Millions of people who are diagnosed with multiple sclerosis,
    fibromyalgia, Alzheimer's, chronic fatigue syndrome and other
    degenerative diseases could have Lyme Disease causing or contributing
    to their condition.

    http://www.avonhistory.org/bug/l13.htm