Hit a pedestrian

Claire Petersky

Guest
Stepped in front of me in the evening gloom, without looking, while talking
on his cell phone. I wasn't going that fast to begin with, and braked
desperately, but hit him anyway, as circumstances were that I didn't have
anywhere else to go. I don't think he missed more than three beats on his
telephone conversation. I hit the pavement, and tore a hole in my tights.
For novelty, this time I tore a hole on my left knee, so I can have matching
scrapes right now.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

In article <[email protected]>,
"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Stepped in front of me in the evening gloom, without looking, while talking
> on his cell phone. I wasn't going that fast to begin with, and braked
> desperately, but hit him anyway, as circumstances were that I didn't have
> anywhere else to go. I don't think he missed more than three beats on his
> telephone conversation. I hit the pavement, and tore a hole in my tights.
> For novelty, this time I tore a hole on my left knee, so I can have matching
> scrapes right now.

teh svck!

silver lining: time to go shopping for more bikey clothes.

..max

--
The part of betatron @ earthlink . net was played by a garden gnome

In article <[email protected]>,
"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Stepped in front of me in the evening gloom, without looking, while talking
> on his cell phone. I wasn't going that fast to begin with, and braked
> desperately, but hit him anyway, as circumstances were that I didn't have
> anywhere else to go. I don't think he missed more than three beats on his
> telephone conversation. I hit the pavement, and tore a hole in my tights.
> For novelty, this time I tore a hole on my left knee, so I can have matching
> scrapes right now.

At least you didn't deserve your scrape. Last rilly good knee scrape i
got came from unicycling at Rt 38 and Rt 25 in Geneva (il) in the snow,
taunting the gridlocked commuters with my mad Macerena unicycle skillz,
until i found a hole in the sidewalk, under the snow. Instant karma
and a scab the size of a debit card.

..max

--

Claire Petersky wrote:
> Stepped in front of me in the evening gloom, without looking, while
> talking on his cell phone. I wasn't going that fast to begin with,
> and braked desperately, but hit him anyway, as circumstances were
> that I didn't have anywhere else to go. I don't think he missed more
> than three beats on his telephone conversation. I hit the pavement,
> and tore a hole in my tights. For novelty, this time I tore a hole on
> my left knee, so I can have matching scrapes right now.

Did you get yelled at to complete the experience?

Glad you weren't injured too badly...

BS (no, really :))

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 23:13:18 -0800, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Stepped in front of me in the evening gloom, without looking, while talking
>on his cell phone. I wasn't going that fast to begin with, and braked
>desperately, but hit him anyway, as circumstances were that I didn't have
>anywhere else to go. I don't think he missed more than three beats on his
>telephone conversation. I hit the pavement, and tore a hole in my tights.
>For novelty, this time I tore a hole on my left knee, so I can have matching
>scrapes right now.

How's the bike?
--
zk

=v= Cellphone zombies do the most insane things.
<_Jym_>

In article <[email protected]>,
"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:
> Stepped in front of me in the evening gloom, without looking, while talking
> on his cell phone. I wasn't going that fast to begin with, and braked
> desperately, but hit him anyway, as circumstances were that I didn't have
> anywhere else to go. I don't think he missed more than three beats on his
> telephone conversation. I hit the pavement, and tore a hole in my tights.
> For novelty, this time I tore a hole on my left knee, so I can have matching
> scrapes right now.

I guess you feel badly about having hit somebody.
I would, too. Even if they were head-in-the-clouds
jaywalking and totally oblivious to everything.

I guess you also feel relieved about having borne the
brunt of the incident, instead of the other guy.
I would, too.

The last thing we regular folx want to do, is to
hurt other people. But sometimes we unintentionally
step on toes, or inadvertantly let a door swing shut
as someone is trying to dart through it, or whatever.
It happens to "them", it happens to "us".
Shlemiel/shlamazle. We're all just Humanity.

At least you weren't driving a forklift. Especially
one with an 8-foot chainsaw on it instead of forks.

Don't worry about it too much.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

On Dec 1, 2:13 am, "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Stepped in front of me in the evening gloom, without looking, while talking
> on his cell phone. I wasn't going that fast to begin with, and braked
> desperately, but hit him anyway, as circumstances were that I didn't have
> anywhere else to go. I don't think he missed more than three beats on his
> telephone conversation. I hit the pavement, and tore a hole in my tights.
> For novelty, this time I tore a hole on my left knee, so I can have matching
> scrapes right now.
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Peterskyhttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

sorry to hear that. i recently fell from my bike as well. going to
fast on wet pavement.
if you need new clothes check our store
carlos
http://www.bikingthings.com

Jym Dyer wrote:
> =v= Cellphone zombies do the most insane things.

Squirrels on their cell phones!

There's true danger for ya!!!

SMH

Claire Petersky wrote:
> Stepped in front of me in the evening gloom, without looking, while talking
> on his cell phone. I wasn't going that fast to begin with, and braked
> desperately, but hit him anyway, as circumstances were that I didn't have
> anywhere else to go. I don't think he missed more than three beats on his
> telephone conversation. I hit the pavement, and tore a hole in my tights.
> For novelty, this time I tore a hole on my left knee, so I can have matching
> scrapes right now.

Yes, it is unfortunate that a cyclist hitting an idiotic pedestrian [1]
will usually suffer more damage than the pedestrian at fault (been
there, done that). That is why I prefer to ride a bicycle like this [2]
in urban areas, since I at least have a de-facto ram at the front, and
will come off the bicycle feet first instead of head first. Riding in
the middle chainring, so the "buzz saw" 62-T big ring is exposed also
may attract the attention of the clueless.

A LOUD air horn is also a necessity in pedestrian infested areas.

[1] This includes almost all college students and/or people leaving
bars, clubs and other places of entertainment.
[2] <http://www.ransbikes.com/Rocket07.htm>.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

max wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Stepped in front of me in the evening gloom, without looking, while talking
>> on his cell phone. I wasn't going that fast to begin with, and braked
>> desperately, but hit him anyway, as circumstances were that I didn't have
>> anywhere else to go. I don't think he missed more than three beats on his
>> telephone conversation. I hit the pavement, and tore a hole in my tights.
>> For novelty, this time I tore a hole on my left knee, so I can have matching
>> scrapes right now.

> At least you didn't deserve your scrape. Last rilly good knee scrape i
> got came from unicycling at Rt 38 and Rt 25 in Geneva (il) in the snow,...

Specifying Illinois is unnecessary, as this is the Geneva one should
assume unless otherwise specified. :)

Speaking of this intersection, did they ever build anything at the old
Hillquist Excavating site, and/or improve that right-angle corner on the
FVT?

Jym Dyer wrote:
> =v= Cellphone zombies do the most insane things.

I would love to have a portable cell phone blocker.

Tom Keats wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:
>> Stepped in front of me in the evening gloom, without looking, while talking
>> on his cell phone. I wasn't going that fast to begin with, and braked
>> desperately, but hit him anyway, as circumstances were that I didn't have
>> anywhere else to go. I don't think he missed more than three beats on his
>> telephone conversation. I hit the pavement, and tore a hole in my tights.
>> For novelty, this time I tore a hole on my left knee, so I can have matching
>> scrapes right now.

> I guess you feel badly about having hit somebody.
> I would, too. Even if they were head-in-the-clouds
> jaywalking and totally oblivious to everything.

Twenty-thousand years ago, these clueless cell phone yakkers would have
been eaten by Smilodon. ;)

> I guess you also feel relieved about having borne the
> brunt of the incident, instead of the other guy.
> I would, too.

Not me. People that screw up should bear the consequences, not others.

> The last thing we regular folx want to do, is to
> hurt other people. But sometimes we unintentionally
> step on toes, or inadvertantly let a door swing shut
> as someone is trying to dart through it, or whatever.
> It happens to "them", it happens to "us".
> Shlemiel/shlamazle. We're all just Humanity.

I only really feel guilty about stepping on kitty's foot by accident.

> At least you weren't driving a forklift. Especially
> one with an 8-foot chainsaw on it instead of forks.

Cool!

> Don't worry about it too much.

Being Seattle, the pedestrian could have stepped in front of this
cyclist:
<http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/outtaMyWay_1.mpg> and
<http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/outtaMyWay_2.mpg>. ;)

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 23:13:18 -0800, "Claire Petersky"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Stepped in front of me in the evening gloom, without looking, while
>>talking
>>on his cell phone. I wasn't going that fast to begin with, and braked
>>desperately, but hit him anyway, as circumstances were that I didn't have
>>anywhere else to go. I don't think he missed more than three beats on his
>>telephone conversation. I hit the pavement, and tore a hole in my tights.
>>For novelty, this time I tore a hole on my left knee, so I can have
>>matching
>>scrapes right now.

> How's the bike?

Bike's fine. The ironic thing is that Dane fixed my third headlight for me
that morning, so it wasn't like I wasn't throwing enough light out in front
of me.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

On Dec 1, 10:20 am, "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "max" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > silver lining: time to go shopping for more bikey clothes.

> Tights are ridiculously expensive. I'll probably just darn these up, just
> like I've darned up others.
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Peterskyhttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> See the books I've set free at:http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

Hey there Claire.

The other day I had a passenger in a car yell at me to "Ride on the
sidewalk!" when I slowed down to to come to a stop. I yelled back at
her that riding on the sidewalk is actually illegal for a bicyclist.

BTW another good source for tights is a skating apparel store. I found
the skating tights were about 1/4 the cost of cycling tights but could
not see any difference in them.

Last year I bought 3 exellents pairs of thick tights at a Value
Village thrift store for $4 Cdn each pair. This summer I bought 2
pairs of skating skinsuits at a Goodwikll for $4 Cdn each. I'm all set
for Arctic conditions. LOL

Peter

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Jym Dyer wrote:
>> =v= Cellphone zombies do the most insane things.

> I would love to have a portable cell phone blocker.

http://www.phonejammer.com/cell-phone-jammer/p2jbz.asp
I've been tempted to get one myself.

My current pedestrian complaint is people in the front row at a stoplight
talking on phones who don't keep their foot on the brake with enough
pressure, and slide forward slowly into the crosswalk.

--
Mike Kruger
Error is eternal, and wisdom consists in living with it, not letting

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> max wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Stepped in front of me in the evening gloom, without looking, while
> >> talking
> >> on his cell phone. I wasn't going that fast to begin with, and braked
> >> desperately, but hit him anyway, as circumstances were that I didn't have
> >> anywhere else to go. I don't think he missed more than three beats on his
> >> telephone conversation. I hit the pavement, and tore a hole in my tights.
> >> For novelty, this time I tore a hole on my left knee, so I can have
> >> matching
> >> scrapes right now.

> > At least you didn't deserve your scrape. Last rilly good knee scrape i
> > got came from unicycling at Rt 38 and Rt 25 in Geneva (il) in the snow,...

> Specifying Illinois is unnecessary, as this is the Geneva one should
> assume unless otherwise specified. :)
>
> Speaking of this intersection, did they ever build anything at the old
> Hillquist Excavating site, and/or improve that right-angle corner on the
> FVT?

Nothing yet, but at least there's a clear view through the chainlink
fence around the lot.

..max

--

<ab59c50c-a458-4ed8-bad2-52525f9ddbf4@w56g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
Sir Ridesalot <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Dec 1, 10:20 am, "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > "max" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > In article <[email protected]>,
> > > silver lining: time to go shopping for more bikey clothes.

> > Tights are ridiculously expensive. I'll probably just darn these up, just
> > like I've darned up others.
> >
> > --
> > Warm Regards,
> >
> > Claire Peterskyhttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> > See the books I've set free at:http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

> Hey there Claire.
>
> The other day I had a passenger in a car yell at me to "Ride on the
> sidewalk!" when I slowed down to to come to a stop. I yelled back at
> her that riding on the sidewalk is actually illegal for a bicyclist.
>
> BTW another good source for tights is a skating apparel store. I found
> the skating tights were about 1/4 the cost of cycling tights but could
> not see any difference in them.
>
> Last year I bought 3 exellents pairs of thick tights at a Value
> Village thrift store for $4 Cdn each pair. This summer I bought 2
> pairs of skating skinsuits at a Goodwikll for $4 Cdn each. I'm all set
> for Arctic conditions. LOL
>
> Peter

Thanks for the pointer!!!

..max
rims of glory.

--
The part of betatron @ earthlink . net was played by a garden gnome

"Claire Petersky" wrote: (clip) I'll probably just darn these up, (clip)
An incident like this calls for stronger language than just "darn."