Road Cycling · Public discussion

Hit and Run

Started by Claire Petersky · · Last activity · 98 posts · 4,035 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
1 June 2004
Last activity
15 June 2004
Original author
Claire Petersky
Posts
98
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,035
Views / 30 days
12

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–80 of 98
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In ba.bicycles LioNiNoiL_a t_Ne t s c a pE_D 0 T_Ne T said:
    Quoted message said:

    Well, as is unfortunately typical of this group, the only
    two responses addressing your concern about safety on
    Bryant took the approach of "blame the cyclist" --
    amazing that a cycling newsgroup could have such a bias!

    Quoted message said:

    It just demonstrates the widespread acceptance of the
    "victim mentality" imprinted upon cyclists in the USA
    (United States of Automobiles) by the car-driving public:
    "it's your own damn fault that you're reviled and injured,
    riding those toys in the street!"

    Er no. I think the point is that defensive cycling (or
    driving) is a good idea, and someone who is frequently
    having close calls should consider whether they can do
    anything to fix that. It is little consolation knowing that
    you had the right of way if you end up in the hospital.

    -- Dave

  2. On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 13:33:30 -0700, Terry Morse <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Someone else said:
    Someone said:

    Well, as is unfortunately typical of this group, the
    only two responses addressing your concern about safety
    on Bryant took the approach of "blame the cyclist" --
    amazing that a cycling newsgroup could have such a
    bias!

    It just demonstrates the widespread acceptance of the
    "victim mentality" imprinted upon cyclists in the USA
    (United States of Automobiles) by the car-driving public:
    "it's your own damn fault that you're reviled and
    injured, riding those toys in the street!"

    Baloney. If a cyclist continues to get himself in near miss
    situations with law breaking motorists on the same road,
    there's something wrong with the cyclist. Some cars roll
    through stop signs, others don't yield right of way, still
    others have "cyclist blindless". Those are the facts. Learn
    to anticipate and manage these risks, or get off the road.

    Note the mindset here: 'cyclist[s]' do this but it's
    'car[s]' which do that.

    Another textbook case; the humour was most likely
    unintentional.

  3. Quoted message said:


    Well, as is unfortunately typical of this group, the only
    two responses addressing your concern about safety on
    Bryant took the approach of "blame the cyclist" -- amazing
    that a cycling newsgroup could have such a bias!

    Whether your assessment about the replies in this thread is
    fair, the affliction you describe (is quite common amongst
    cyclists. You will sometimes hear people refer to the
    'Cyclist inferiority superstition'.

  4. "Mike Latondresse" <mikelat@no_spamshaw.ca> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Zoot Katz <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Last week on Georgia Street I was presented the perfect
    opportunity to take out a brat in a SAAB. She right
    hooked me but

    Quoted message said:


    Zoot, your self control and restraint is Zen like. Didn't
    you even kick the rear panel on passing?

    The question is why is Zoot riding out on Georgia Street in
    the first place? That is no place for a bike to be.

    If he wants to start training properly he must make the
    effort to get himself out to the good cycling roads.

  5. In article <Bzbwc.675383$Ig.227952@pd7tw2no>,

    Fabrizio Mazzoleni said:

    The question is why is Zoot riding out on Georgia Street
    in the first place?

    Headed to North Van or West Van or Horseshoe Bay?

    Quoted message said:

    That is no place for a bike to be.

    Someone's gotta do it. Might as well not be you.

    Quoted message said:

    If he wants to start training properly he must make the
    effort to get himself out to the good cycling roads.

    Like Clarke Rd (the uphill side) between Port Moody &
    Coquitlam or wherever it is. Where Ryan hangs out. Y'know
    where I mean.

    I rode up to Weekender Park etc, up in Deep Cove earlier
    this week. The Dollarton Hwy is a fairly good cycling road.
    Except maybe a little bit for the return trip, getting onto
    the bridge.

    North Shore chicks are generally hotter than south-of-the-
    Fraser-River chicks. Although Surrey/Abbotsford girls do
    have their charms, too. Aw, what the heck. I luv 'em all.
    But North Shore chicks are richer.

    cheers, Tom

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  6. Someone said:
    Quoted message said:

    Baloney. If a cyclist continues to get himself in near
    miss situations with law breaking motorists on the same
    road, there's something wrong with the cyclist.

    See what I mean?

    Just keep whining and complaining about how hard cyclists
    have it. I'll keep riding.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA bike.terrymorse.combike.terrymorse.com

  7. [quote="Chris B."]

    Terry Morse said:


    Baloney. If a cyclist continues to get himself in near
    miss situations with law breaking motorists on the same
    road, there's something wrong with the cyclist. Some cars
    roll through stop signs, others don't yield right of way,
    still others have "cyclist blindless". Those are the
    facts. Learn to anticipate and manage these risks, or get
    off the road.



    Note the mindset here: 'cyclist[s]' do this but it's
    'car[s]' which do that.

    Another textbook case; the humour was most likely
    unintentional.[/quote]

    Note the mindset? Textbook case? Excuse me for encouraging
    people to ride defensively. Do the mean old motorists (not
    the carse) treat you badly, make you fearful for your
    life, and make you see bogeymen where none exist? Textbook
    case, indeed.

    <rant> I am so sick of the hypersentive, whining brats who
    complain about all the stupid drivers. For crying' out
    loud, just ride your bike. There are plenty of hazards out
    there, but cycling is still a safe activity when done
    defensively. </rant>
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA bike.terrymorse.combike.terrymorse.com

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    Er no. I think the point is that defensive cycling (or
    driving) is a good idea, and someone who is frequently
    having close calls should consider whether they can do
    anything to fix that.

    That's pretty much it. Along with a suggestion that it's
    generally simpler for the road-user to adapt to the road,
    than adapting the road to the road-user.

    Quoted message said:

    It is little consolation knowing that you had the right of
    way if you end up in the hospital.

    Well, let's not think about getting clobbered.
    Instead, let's think about problematic (for cyclists)
    roads & streets.

    Some riders complain about the poor ridability of certain
    roads. Fine. If they're still gonna use 'em, might as well
    adapt to them and figure out how to tactically deal with
    their nuances, rather than just griping about them (or
    rather, the drivers who also use those roads.)

    So, this Bryant Street is rife with aggressive drivers
    who lacadaisically pull into it from cross streets, and
    cut cyclists off at intersections (reminds me of the
    eastern stretch of Vancouver's King Edward Ave.) Okay,
    I'll take that as a given. So, foreknowledge is
    forearmament. The complainers should use that
    accordingly, and deal with it. But griping about Bryant
    Street on UseNet ain't gonna fix anything.

    If anything, griping about road/street unridability might be
    one of the first symptoms of Cycling Inferiority Complex.

    Defending such gripes might be one of the first symptoms
    of Advocacy. Next thing ya know, segregated bike lanes
    are demanded.

    Maybe Bryant St could use segregated bike lanes. I dunno.
    But it sounds like it needs some heads-up riding.

    So the complainers should just ride it heads-up. And/or get
    the civic officials to fix/enforce it. That's all.

    cheers, Tom

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Terry Morse said:

    Note the mindset? Textbook case?

    Yeah, sounds like politics is rearing its ugly head again.

    Quoted message said:

    For crying' out loud, just ride your bike.

    Couldn't have said it better myself.

    But I'm getting this sense, from the political vehemence of
    some of the posts, that there's something going on; that
    there's a localized movement to have cycling facilities of
    some sort put on this Bryant Street.

    I might well be wrong.

    But if I'm not, we may have poked at a political
    hornets' nest.

    cheers, Tom

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  10. Terry Morse said:
    Ben Pfaff said:

    Even when I'm on my mountain bike, I'm always really
    careful along Bryant Street, because idiot drivers love
    to cut me off at intersections. At least once a week, one
    will blow past a stop sign, without stopping, and pull
    into the intersection in front of me.

    The same thing happens to me regularly. You just have to
    watch out for them. Motorists don't seem to be tuned into
    cyclists going 20 on a residential street. Screaming
    madely and braking hard seems to get their attention.

    From your other postings, you seem to think that this is
    just a fact of life. I am somewhat sympathetic--except that
    this is a designated and marked "Bike Boulevard". Does this
    designation mean anything at all? Frankly I often feel safer
    on faster roads with wide shoulders/bike lanes. For example,
    I rarely (never?) have the same trouble at intersections on
    Foothill, Central (both 45 mph), or Page Mill (35 mph but
    everyone speeds like mad) that I do on Bryant (25 mph). If
    they took me where I needed to go I'd use them for commuting
    instead of Bryant.

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ben Pfaff said:

    From your other postings, you seem to think that this is
    just a fact of life.

    It is. Traffic ain't perfect. Or at least, the people in
    it aren't.

    Quoted message said:

    I am somewhat sympathetic--except that this is a
    designated and marked "Bike Boulevard".

    ... and drivers dare intrude upon it, because they
    can?? Horrors!!

    Quoted message said:

    Does this designation
    mean anything at all?

    Not, apparently, to some of the drivers on it.

    So have your City traffic-calm it or something, or have them
    put-in bike lanes. Whatever.

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  12. Tom Keats said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    Er no. I think the point is that defensive cycling (or
    driving) is a good idea, and someone who is frequently
    having close calls should consider whether they can do
    anything to fix that.

    That's pretty much it. Along with a suggestion that it's
    generally simpler for the road-user to adapt to the road,
    than adapting the road to the road-user.


    Yup. Critical Massers say "Bicycles ARE traffic, get used to
    it!" Well, cars are traffic too. Get used to it. No one
    completely follows the rules of the road. "Taxi stops" at
    stop signs are normal (though illegal) everywhere. Don't let
    yourself get complacent, it's a jungle out there. Be aware
    and deal with what's coming up in front of you. That's how I
    see it anyway. Bernie

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bernie said:

    Don't let yourself get complacent, it's a jungle out
    there. Be aware and deal with what's coming up in
    front of you.

    And beside you.

    Actually, I feel a sort of sympathy with anyone who wants
    this Bryant Street to be really treated as the cycling route
    it apparently is designated as.

    When I first got wind that our Windsor Street was going to
    be a bike route, I suggested that Dumfries St would have
    been a better choice. Now I find out Dumfries is also being
    considered, but the proposed treatments of the Dumfries/King
    Edward/Kingsway intersection fall far short of safe &
    convenient usability. Sight lines are especially a big
    problem there.

    There needs to be a traffic light that gets people on
    Dumfries safely and directly across both King Ed and
    Kingsway.

    As if such inconveniencing of drivers on King Edward &
    Kingsway would ever happen!

    BTW, Windsor St needs a push-button light at King Edward,
    same as Heather St.

    I don't really know what this Bryant Street is like.
    All I know is, people are complaining about it to the
    wrong people.

    I hope they get it fixed properly.

    cheers, Tom

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  14. Tom Keats said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Bernie <bmcilvan@mouse-

    potato.com said:

    Don't let yourself get complacent, it's a jungle out
    there. Be aware and deal with what's coming up in
    front of you.

    And beside you.


    Oh yes, keep "full circle" awareness. Truck drivers are all
    taught this around day one of the course.

    Quoted message said:

    Actually, I feel a sort of sympathy with anyone who wants
    this Bryant Street to be really treated as the cycling
    route it apparently is designated as.

    When I first got wind that our Windsor Street was going to
    be a bike route, I suggested that Dumfries St would have
    been a better choice. Now I find out Dumfries is also being
    considered, but the proposed treatments of the
    Dumfries/King Edward/Kingsway intersection fall far short
    of safe & convenient usability. Sight lines are especially
    a big problem there.

    There needs to be a traffic light that gets people on
    Dumfries safely and directly across both King Ed and
    Kingsway.

    As if such inconveniencing of drivers on King Edward &
    Kingsway would ever happen!

    BTW, Windsor St needs a push-button light at King Edward,
    same as Heather St.

    I don't really know what this Bryant Street is like.
    All I know is, people are complaining about it to the
    wrong people.


    We all preach to the choir here. If there are real issues to
    be addressed they have to go to the city planning and
    engineering.

    Quoted message said:


    I hope they get it fixed properly.


    Sounds like the pavement needs fixing. The drivers are an
    eternal 'get used to it' hazard, imo.

    Quoted message said:


    cheers, Tom

  15. Tom Keats said:

    BTW, Windsor St needs a push-button light at King Edward,
    same as Heather St.

    Just out of curiosity - do you really mean a push-button to
    trigger the light for cyclists?? I've never seen one.
    Pedestrians, yes. Cyclists, no.

    How would you have the button in reach of a cyclist, without
    having it be a collision hazard?

    What if a cyclist intended to make a left turn? Would he
    push the button on the right side of the road, then drag the
    bike over toward the left?

    Curious.

    --
    --------------------+ Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove
    rodent and vegetable dot com, replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

  16. Tom Keats said:

    If anything, griping about road/street unridability might
    be one of the first symptoms of Cycling Inferiority
    Complex.

    Defending such gripes might be one of the first symptoms
    of Advocacy. Next thing ya know, segregated bike lanes are
    demanded.

    Maybe Bryant St could use segregated bike lanes. I dunno.
    But it sounds like it needs some heads-up riding.

    So the complainers should just ride it heads-up. And/or
    get the civic officials to fix/enforce it. That's all.

    Thanks for stating what I was trying to, but with much
    more tact.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA bike.terrymorse.combike.terrymorse.com

  17. Tom Keats said:

    But I'm getting this sense, from the political vehemence
    of some of the posts, that there's something going on;
    that there's a localized movement to have cycling
    facilities of some sort put on this Bryant Street.

    I don't think so. Bryant St. is probably untouchable, as it
    was the first "bike boulevards" in the country (one of
    things Palo Alto likes to brag about). It's a wide
    residential street with barriers every several blocks that
    only bikes can pass through, so there's very little car
    traffic. There is almost no striping, not even a center
    stripe. There are only two stop signs, and those are four-
    way. All the cross streets have stop signs (and this is
    where you have to watch out for cars).

    Ellen Fletcher, a local bicycle advocate, worked to get
    Bryant St. made into a bike boulevard. Recently, they named
    it after her:

    svbcbikes.orgellen fletcher.php

    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA bike.terrymorse.combike.terrymorse.com

  18. (Tom Keats) said:

    So have your City traffic-calm it or something, or have
    them put-in bike lanes. Whatever.

    I don't see how bike lanes or "traffic calming" would help
    the problem that I'm pointing out: drivers at cross streets
    don't stop at their stop signs and don't look both ways
    before crossing.
    --
    "Q: How does a hacker fix a function which doesn't work for
    all of the elements in its domain?
    A: He changes the domain." --Thorfinn

  19. Does anybody just get off the bike and walk across the busy
    intersections? When in doubt, act like a pedestrian. Works
    for me, but I am clipless and not trying to best my last
    time, just ride instead of drive. Bill

    Ben Pfaff said:
    (Tom Keats) said:

    So have your City traffic-calm it or something, or have
    them put-in bike lanes. Whatever.

    I don't see how bike lanes or "traffic calming" would help
    the problem that I'm pointing out: drivers at cross
    streets don't stop at their stop signs and don't look both
    ways before crossing.

    --
    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
    opera.comm2

  20. Bill said:

    Does anybody just get off the bike and walk across the busy
    intersections? When in doubt, act like a pedestrian. Works
    for me, but I am clipless and not trying to best my last
    time, just ride instead of drive. Bill

    Ben Pfaff said:
    (Tom Keats) said:

    So have your City traffic-calm it or something, or have
    them put-in bike lanes. Whatever.

    I don't see how bike lanes or "traffic calming" would
    help the problem that I'm pointing out: drivers at cross
    streets don't stop at their stop signs and don't look
    both ways before crossing.

    For 25 cents why no rent a pedestrian, and have them
    walk point?

    -Badger

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.