Hit and run in the UK.. cyclist killed

What disrepect to the family of the victim...that they reported the story like he was some cuckoo riding his bike illegally on the motorway. The media should get more than flamed...they should be sued for negligent journalism. A cynic would say that they were pandering to the public's stereotypical perception that the cyclist got what he deserved.

Condolences to the cyclist's family.

TheDarkLord said:
Is the attitude of drivers towards cycling in the UK as unfriendly as it is in US?
I don't know about the US but yeah UK drivers have a pretty low opinion of cyclists, the "boy racers" would occasionally throw empty beer bottles at me and one occasion actually drove me off the road. Its the same in New Zealand, I've had bottles thrown at me and if I'm commuting home on a Thurs-Saturday night the least I can expect is being verbally abused. On the whole though I felt safer cycling in the UK than I do here in New Zealand.

I'm also fully expecting to get into a situation at some point where I'll be physically attacked its only a matter of time. We can't carry guns over here though - which on balance is still a good thing.

Cycist-haters are of course separate from half asleep drivers or drivers who are not looking where they are going and are just a menace or those that pass at 60+ miles an hour and think its fine to give you no more than a foot or so space when they pass.

Of course there a few good drivers that I always give a wave and few fellow commuters that I say hi to on the way to work. Cycling is a major plus in my life and I won't stop until I'm forced to.:)

My thoughts go my this guys family.

Jonahhobbes said:
I don't know about the US but yeah UK drivers have a pretty low opinion of cyclists, the "boy racers" would occasionally throw empty beer bottles at me and one occasion actually drove me off the road. Its the same in New Zealand, I've had bottles thrown at me and if I'm commuting home on a Thurs-Saturday night the least I can expect is being verbally abused. On the whole though I felt safer cycling in the UK than I do here in New Zealand.

I'm also fully expecting to get into a situation at some point where I'll be physically attacked its only a matter of time. We can't carry guns over here though - which on balance is still a good thing.

Cycist-haters are of course separate from half asleep drivers or drivers who are not looking where they are going and are just a menace or those that pass at 60+ miles an hour and think its fine to give you no more than a foot or so space when they pass.

Of course there a few good drivers that I always give a wave and few fellow commuters that I say hi to on the way to work. Cycling is a major plus in my life and I won't stop until I'm forced to.:)

My thoughts go my this guys family.
Oh my god that sucks.My prayers go out to him...