Hit by car...what next?

ADA23

Aug 10, 2005
This morning I was hit by a car who failed to give way to me in a roundabout
The fellow who hit me was apologetic and said he just didnt see me
An ambulance was called an they checked me out and apart from a few bumps and bruises I am ok.
My bike and shoes etc however are not.

My question is what should I do next to recoup the damages caused?

Did you inform the police? How about his personal info and insurance details?

Often it turns into a " he said, she said" battle in small claims court unless you had some witnesses

I got hit by a car while commuting to work a couple of years ago and my bike and watch were damaged.

I had the driver's insurance information, but when I called them I was told to make a claim against my own car insurance. Which I subsequently did.

Sounds insane doesn't it, but apparently that's how it works here in Canada.

ADA, based on what the others have said you might want to call your insurance company and ask them how to procede.

I'm also wondering if the police were there, did they issue a ticket, etc? Who called the ambulance and who is paying for that?

I dont know how police reports work in England, however, it should list the other driver at fault. You are entitled to have repairs or replacements for damaged property. You also should have any medical bills covered.

64Paramount said:
ADA, based on what the others have said you might want to call your insurance company and ask them how to procede.

Yes. This is a vehicle-on-vehicle collision (with minor injuries) and should be treated accordingly. Take the bike to your LBS to work up the damage repair estimate (include clothing, helmet, shoes....everything) and send it to your insurance company. I would recommend waiting a couple days to evaluate your bumps and bruises before reporting that there were no injury/medical damages, however.

If the collision was the other driver's fault, then his insurance should cover the expenses and any deductible you might have, but your insurance company wil handle all of those dealings.