Hit by cyclist

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 13:14:40 +0000, Sandy Morton wrote:

> In article <O%[email protected]>, Cicero
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Please don't blame us respectable oldies for the sins of the uncaring and reckless youth.
>
> I don't want to be a responsible "oldie" - I've spent all my life being respectabe;! I want to be
> a mad and impetuous geriatric :))

Sandy, I've met you. I can confirm to the list that you don't wear purple.
http://www.holistichealthtools.com/purple.html

(Is there a male equivalent of this poem?)

Sandy Morton wrote:

> I don't want to be a responsible "oldie" - I've spent all my life being respectabe;! I want to be
> a mad and impetuous geriatric :))

Growing old is unavoidable, growing up in optional

Tony

"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> I agree that nowadays that seems to be the accepted norm (not that I think it should be). However
> there is an onus upon users of cars and bicycles to look out for people crossing the road.

There is also an onus on pedestrians to look before they cross. A pedestrian in an accident with a
vehicle is not going to win a compensation claim if they were so negligent in their manner of
crossing the road as to leave the vehicle user no chance of avoiding them. There is not, yet at
least, an automatic presumption of liability on the part of the vehicle user.

Rich

Well I'm quite amazed at the repsonses that this post is attracting. Thanks to those who appear to be in support. However, I only asked for a message to be passed on in the (longshot) event that you knew the man. I had not intended that the issue of fault would be debated particularly as it is clear that my account is not detailed. Also no one here has heard the other side of the story. However, I will say that my post doesn't say that I was crossiing TCR. I was actually crossing Chenies Street at the Tottenham Court Road end - hence my reference to TCR - and the cyclist came around the corner.

What does impress me here - and which has been referred to a couple of times in this thread - is that it is quite true that if I had given a similar version of the events but had said that I was a cyclist and the man was a car driver, the contributors to this thread would overwhelmingly condemned the motorist in favour of the cyclist without asking for any furher facts. However, in this thread, where the alleged aggressor is a cyclist and even though the alleged victim is a pedestrian, most posts are at best equivocal.

I suppose that I will be flamed for this next bit but as a motorist, pedestrian and cyclist I have to come reluctantly to the view that while motorists tend to be sloppy and inattentive in their driving and their responsibilies towards cyclists, it is seldom deliberate. On the other hand, although many cyclists ride in a moderate, self-preserving and cooperative way, those who do not - and there are many of them - ride with a wanton disregard for other road users and seem to assert a right to behave in any way they wish regardless of the interests or welfare of others. I have only ever noticed a similar attitude amongst smokers (not all) who assert their right to smoke and seem to forget the right of others to enjoy clean air. But at least one can say of smokers that their attitude and their culture are gradually changing.

"Marcgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

[snip numpty]

I have every sympathy. Although it's easy to say that the cyclist is traffic and you should have
seen him, it's equally true that driving / riding on this kind of road brings with it an expectation
of pedestrians crossing, and a correspoonding obligation to look out for them.

It sounds very much as if, had the bloke had been reaosnably alert, he could have avoided you
without stopping - or alerted you to his presence much earlier if he was not in a position to stop.
Both preferable to what he did do.

Head-down riding is a problem with drop handlebars, in my experience. Not a weakness as such, but
you have to guard against it. My guess is that the bloke was watching his front wheel, not where he
was going, but it's a guess.

This is not a guess: I would pay Actual Money for the drinks if every driver who took exception to
my riding style invited dialogue instead of leaning on the horn. I am not perfect, but I do work
quite hard at riding and driving safely.

Do take Bill's comments with a pinch of salt - he's having one of his curmudgeonly days, it happens
to all of us sometimes. Except Helen the Paving Slab Fairy who is always saintly in demeanour (and
armed) :)

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:24:13 GMT, Marcgan wrote:

> Well I'm quite amazed at the repsonses that this post is attracting.

snipped many valid observations

I hope you don't expect this NG to be a representative sample of cyclists, most of whom would not
condone your 'assailant's' behaviour.

--
Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." -
Groucho Marx www.macclancy.demon.co.uk www.macclancy.co.uk

On 6/2/04 3:24 pm, in article [email protected],
"Marcgan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well I'm quite amazed at the repsonses that this post is attracting. Thanks to those who appear to
> be in support. However, I only asked for a message to be passed on in the (longshot) event that
> you knew the man. I had not intended that the issue of fault would be debated particularly as it
> is clear that my account is not detailed. Also no one here has heard the other side of the story.
> However, I will say that my post doesn't say that I was crossiing TCR. I was actually crossing
> Chenies Street at the Tottenham Court Road end - hence my reference to TCR - and the cyclist came
> around the corner.

In that case it is quite clear that the cyclist is at fault. (yes this is completely opposite to the
impression from my previous post, but that was predicated on a different set of circumstances.)

Maybe teh shouting was a reaction to realising he had done something stupid. Maybe he really is an
arrogant so and so.

> What does impress me here - and which has been referred to a couple of times in this thread - is
> that it is quite true that if I had given a similar version of the events but had said that I was
> a cyclist and the man was a car driver, the contributors to this thread would overwhelmingly
> condemned the motorist in favour of the cyclist without asking for any furher facts.

Some would. I wouldn't.

> However, in this thread, where the alleged aggressor is a cyclist and even though the alleged
> victim is a pedestrian, most posts are at best equivocal.

That is because the situation was not well explained. Now you have described it more clearly (the
'round the corner' part is somewhat critical here) you will find people being less equivocal and
able to take a clearer stance.\

> I suppose that I will be flamed for this next bit but as a motorist, pedestrian and cyclist I have
> to come reluctantly to the view that while motorists tend to be sloppy and inattentive in their
> driving and their responsibilies towards cyclists, it is seldom deliberate. On the other hand,
> although many cyclists ride in a moderate, self-preserving and cooperative way, those who do not -
> and there are many of them - ride with a wanton disregard for other road users and seem to assert
> a right to behave in any way they wish regardless of the interests or welfare of others.

Those two statements are essentially the same content but with different emphases.

> I have only ever noticed a similar attitude amongst smokers (not all) who assert their right to
> smoke and seem to forget the right of others to enjoy clean air. But at least one can say of
> smokers that their attitude and their culture are gradually changing.

In every population there will be arrogant, self obsessed twits (for want of better phrasing.) who
do not give a toss about anyone else.

You met one this morning. I have met some before. Both on bike , on foot, and in cars.

..d

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:24:13 GMT, Marcgan wrote:
>
> > Well I'm quite amazed at the repsonses that this post is attracting.
>
> snipped many valid observations
>
> I hope you don't expect this NG to be a representative sample of cyclists, most of whom would not
> condone your 'assailant's' behaviour.

"assailant?" why say that?

We only have one side of the story, and I certainly didn't have enough information at the start to
know that he was turning into a side road (which has a specific mention) - which does make one hell
of a difference.

Was he turning left or right at the time? I find it rather surprising that he was going as fast as
you seem to have been describing whilst going round a sharp bend.

Also note that people will shout if shitting themselves.

I did have in my mind the idea that the cyclist had only a few seconds to make the correct decision,
and cocked up.

Sandy Morton <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I want to be a mad and impetuous geriatric :))

Why wait? Be mad and impetuous now and people will put it down to being an interesting character,
wait until you're a crumbly and they'll just say "Poor dear, he's gone senile, he used to be so
stable in his younger days."
:)

Cheers,

Graeme

>Except Helen the
>Paving Slab Fairy who is always saintly in demeanour (and armed) :)

I do like it when people are suitably subservient to me ;-)

Cheers, helen s ( Megalomania? Moi?)

fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

> Head-down riding is a problem with drop handlebars, in my experience. Not
> weakness as such, but you have to guard against it. My guess is that the bloke was watching his
> front wheel, not where he was going, but it's a guess.

Cyclist was apparently coming round a corner, which changes things. I'm still suspicious that the
quoted high speed is exaggerated. You'd have to be a top class loony - and rather skilled - to get
round a corner like that and do it within a foot or two of the kerb. Surely he would have been
headbutting pedestrians on the kerb?

> Do take Bill's comments with a pinch of salt

Actually being suspicious/cynical. I must have come straight from uk.t

"W K" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Marcgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > This morning, 10.00 London - Chenies Road at the junction with Tottenham Court Road. I was
> > crossing the road and was almost at the other side when a cylclist travelling fast shouted at me
> > and raced through the 3' gap between me and the kerb
>
> So you were jaywalking.

Hang on. Firstly nowhere oes he say that he was not on a pedestrian crossing. Secondly, even if he
wasn't, people have a right to cross the road.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ ; ... of course nothing said
here will be taken notice of by ; the W3C. The official place to be ignored is on www-style or ; www-

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 16:26:02 +0000 (UTC), W K wrote:

> Cyclist was apparently coming round a corner, which changes things. I'm still suspicious that the
> quoted high speed is exaggerated. You'd have to be a top class loony - and rather skilled - to get
> round a corner like that and do it within a foot or two of the kerb. Surely he would have been
> headbutting pedestrians on the kerb?

He probably was. It's just that they were taken to hospital and don't have access to urc.

;-)

--
Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader
to the dictionary." - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway) www.macclancy.demon.co.uk

W K wrote:

> We only have one side of the story, and I certainly didn't have enough information at the start to
> know that he was turning into a side road (which has a specific mention) - which does make one
> hell of a difference.

Having one side of the story has not stopped a round condemnation in the past when the victim was a
cyclist. Why change the rules now?

Tony

"Marcgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The cyclist was a tall man about 55-58 years old, glasses, helmet, light blue shirt or top and, I
> think, shorts.

Sir, I think you're mistaken, surely he was clad in Lycra!

(Seriously though, he's a nutter).
--
Regards, Pete

Marcgan <[email protected]> writes:

> Well I'm quite amazed at the repsonses that this post is attracting.

I'm entirely with you.

> What does impress me here - and which has been referred to a couple of times in this thread - is
> that it is quite true that if I had given a similar version of the events but had said that I was
> a cyclist and the man was a car driver, the contributors to this thread would overwhelmingly
> condemned the motorist in favour of the cyclist without asking for any furher facts.

Highly likely.

--

"W K" <[email protected]> writes:

> "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040206071903.17180.00001513@mb-
> m03.aol.com...
> > >So you were jaywalking.
> > >
> > >Be glad you didn't do it in front of a car.
> >
> > Somewhat harsh.
>
> Yes. In one of those moods.
>
> > The original poster could be
> >
> > 1. A troll trying to illicit the kind of respose you gave, thus
> perpetuating
> > the myth that "cyclists" think themselves above the law.
>
> I thought it was a troll, but uk.t types would be (in fact, _regularly_are_) quite happy to blame
> pedestrians crossing in front of vehicles.

Well, they're in the wrong then. It has never, I believe, been established in the English courts
whether it is legal to drive a car on any road in England, and (I believe, but this may be an urban
myth) that a High Court judge has unofficially said that considering the law as a whole it probably
is not. Whereas walking on any road except a motorway is unambiguously legal.

And I can see no reason whatever to believe the orignal poster was a troll.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ ; ... of course nothing said
here will be taken notice of by ; the W3C. The official place to be ignored is on www-style or ; www-
html. -- George Lund

"Cicero" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:O%[email protected]...
> The 'lycra lout' wasn't an OAP. According to the OP he was '55-58 years old'. Please don't blame
> us respectable oldies for the sins of the
uncaring
> and reckless youth.

And nowhere did the OP state the cyclist was wearing Lycra. Don't encourage the connection people
may form between cyclists wearing Lycra and bad cyclists, while the two are not mutually exclusive
the combination is also not typical.
--
Regards, Pete

"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Cicero" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:O%LUb.8016$Zh6.72227045@news-
> text.cableinet.net...
> > The 'lycra lout' wasn't an OAP. According to the OP he was '55-58 years old'. Please don't blame
> > us respectable oldies for the sins of the
> uncaring
> > and reckless youth.
>
> And nowhere did the OP state the cyclist was wearing Lycra. Don't encourage the connection people
> may form between cyclists wearing Lycra and bad cyclists, while the two are not mutually exclusive
> the combination is also not typical.
> --
> Regards, Pete

============
No, he didn't but I replied to a post timed at 12:34 from 'WK' who described the offending cyclist
as '.....this OAP lycra lout......'. That's why I enclosed the description in single quotes. You can
read it for yourself.

I don't make judgments on the way people dress, no matter how different they are from me.

Regards,

Cic.

> W K wrote:
> >
> > We only have one side of the story, and I certainly didn't have enough information at the start
> > to know that he was turning into a side road
(which
> > has a specific mention) - which does make one hell of a difference.
> >

> Having one side of the story has not stopped a round condemnation in the
past
> when the victim was a cyclist.

When?

Are we talking about when we have a media report of some death?
Note: I've certainly blamed a cycle/pedestrian accident on the cyclist to some extent less than
a week ago.

> Why change the rules now?

There are no rules.