Hit by cyclist

Andy Dingley <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 17 Feb 2004 06:20:05 -0800, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:
>
> >I also know someone who landed on the runway at a USAF base. A big truck rolled up with a "follow
> >me" sign on it. After 3 attempts to get the aircraft to follow him the driver strode over and
> >demanded to know what the problem was. :)
>
> "Message received and understood, Enterprise. We are a lighthouse"

Urban legend.

--
Dave...

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Andy Dingley <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > On 17 Feb 2004 06:20:05 -0800, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:
> >
> > >I also know someone who landed on the runway at a USAF base. A big truck rolled up with a
> > >"follow me" sign on it. After 3 attempts to get the aircraft to follow him the driver strode
> > >over and demanded to know what the problem was. :)
> >
> > "Message received and understood, Enterprise. We are a lighthouse"
>
> Urban legend.

But was yours? It does sound to good to be true.

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Andy Dingley <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

> > > "Message received and understood, Enterprise. We are a lighthouse"
> >
> > Urban legend.
>
> But was yours? It does sound to good to be true.

No. As I said it happened to a mate of mine. I have a fund of verified glider out-landing stories. A
character at my club (we'll call him "Dave" because that's his name, but it's not me) landed in a
farmer's field and was quickly joined by a helicopter which had seen him go in and was checking to
see that he was OK. The chopper pilot then offered him a lift back to the club to organise his
retrieve. So within 20 minutes of landing in the field he was back at Dunstable. Triumphantly he
rounded up his astonished crew, hitched the trailer to his car and got ready to set off.

One of the crew then asked the very reasonable question "Where are we going then, Dave?"

There was an bewildered pause followed by the embarrassed answer, "I dunno."

A few days later a puzzled farmer rang the club to ask if they knew anything about the glider
that appeared to have been abandoned in the middle of his barley, and Dave was finally able to go
and get it.

--
Dave...

On 17 Feb 2004 06:20:05 -0800, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

:)That's simply a case of following ATC, not of one aircraft giving way )to another. There's no
:"probably" about it BTW; a glider cannot go )round again - every landing is a forced landing.

It depends how big "round again" is !

Glider landings at
:)Heathrow are rather rare; I can't think of a valid excuse for making )one,

M25 too busy :)

:)I also know someone who landed on the runway at a USAF base. A big )truck rolled up with a "follow
:me" sign on it. After 3 attempts to get )the aircraft to follow him the driver strode over and
:demanded to know )what the problem was. :) ) )-- )Dave...

Tow rope problem 4: Lack of !
--
Comm again, Mike.