Hit by Dog, I will be wearing more pads

sparkywowo

Jul 24, 2004
65 miles into my first century I was tangled up with a dog while doing about 25 mph. Got a terrific bruise on hip and several stitches to close punctures in elbow.

I have never worn more protection than a helmet.

But, I have been roller skating for the last couple of years and have been wearing knee pads, elbow pads and wrist guards (no helmet). Now, when I take a spill skating, about the only place that gets whacked is my hip.

So, for skating I got a pair of under armor with pad pockets and a set of hip and tail bone pads.

For biking, I am going to be wearing elbow pads.

I rode about 8,000 miles on the road the last two years without a dump. Had a minor dump about 5 years ago.

I don't really care about looks, and this should be comfortable enough. I don't really think I can wear knee or hip pads on the bike.

But, I think I will look around for something that would be useful.

Would appreciate comments on protective gear if you have any to reccommend.

Would appreciate comments on protective gear if you have any to reccommend.[/QUOTE]Check out the downhill/single track section at your LBS these guys are really kitted out.
What the heck is a Krunky Doodle ?

Thanks!

A krunkydoodle is a super hard scab. (What I get when repeatedly picking at wounds. :( )

my initial response would be, are you prepared to ride another 8,000 miles with pads on to avoid several stiches?

I used to wear pads all day long skateboarding. Sweat would collect in the pads and this combined with friction would really cause/aggravate eczema on my arms. I guess if you don't have a problem with this you'd be ok, but i'd check out the downhill pads like howard said, they may breathe much more than the pads used for roller skating or boarding.

these look alright, i'm sure there's a lot more options out there
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop by Brand: SixSixOne

good luck!