Hit by flying soda can

aa9t8 said:
what i have done is go like hell catch them at a lite hit the side of the car as hard as i can punch at the windows and scream like a madman. works for me.

Good for you. You're no different than them. It's called "road rage." Look it up, and then seek treatment.

aa9t8 said:
what i have done is go like hell catch them at a lite hit the side of the car as hard as i can punch at the windows and scream like a madman. works for me.
Careful there!

I have seen red necks coming into hospital emergency department with factures across all the metacarpal bones in one hand. Apparently this guy (driver) got into a road rage with another driver, and stepped out of his car to punch through the car window of the other car at the traffic light. The window stayed intact but he busted his hand totally.

aa9t8 said:
Well, if I could have, I would have chased long enough to try to get their license plate number, but I was in no position to do that, nor was I sure which car was the culprit. I really don't know what I would have done had I been able to catch the car at a light, for instance. They certainly deserved some sort of payback. On the other hand, that could very well lead to further disaster. On the other hand, I feel strongly that the fact that "reasonable" people usually let such things go emboldens the assholes of the world. Wouldn't it be great if a fatal virus emerged that attacked only ****ups?

The worst thing it happened to me was getting spitted on. Just minding my own business riding by my apartment after a hard workout, I see this rusty orange truck coming... then I see this little object landed on my quad. Gross... Gave him a bird but he wouldn't turn around. **** face...

My actual concern is... me going back to Korea. I've been living in the states for nearly 8 years and going back to Seoul Korea. I hear it's impossible to ride there. Well, I know that driving in Seoul, Korea is like flirting with the thin line between life and death. There goes my life style.

cheapie said:
i had a dude throw a bunch of skittles out a sunroof at me. :D

Now see... Towards the end of a long ride, I would consider that a gift and would be thankful for it. I'd have tried to catch as many of them as I possibly could in my mouth.

Had a bottle thrown at me---it missed. Some nitwit car passenger got as close as possible and whacked me across the head with a folded newspaper, or magazine (that was before helmets were considered a good idea). Riding in La Jolla (Southern Cal), some characters pulled up next to me, and then one beefy dude tried to pull me off the bike and into their car. Something like that will curl the hairs on your toes.... Some weird people out there, that's for sure.

sogood said:
Careful there!

I have seen red necks coming into hospital emergency department with factures across all the metacarpal bones in one hand. Apparently this guy (driver) got into a road rage with another driver, and stepped out of his car to punch through the car window of the other car at the traffic light. The window stayed intact but he busted his hand totally.
one shouldn't punch a window... they should use a hammerfist...

I got buzzed twice yesterday and I flipped the bird-really nothing else I could do, especially when you know its intentional (you hear them speed up blow by and then slow down after they pass-shoulders moving in a chuckle)....

I wonder-so you get the license number (good luck for me-I have Dorie like short term memory loss) what the F does that do you any good? Unless youve got a brother in the force who can hand you a home address.

I always want to retaliate-but I am afraid of getting my ass kicked or shot or stabbed or run over by the driver.

Ray

Man, what is this world coming to? I got hit by a very large and heavy potatoe while on a group ride near La Mesa, NM. I thought it was a fist from the guy to my left, and I promptly tilted my head to the right and upwardly. This thing looked like Joe Frazier's fist, man, or even like a softball, but dark gray in color. It also hurt really bad, since we were speeding at about 26 MPH, and the guilty party in a low rider older car with pitch black tinted windows was going about 40 MPH or more. This potato collision to my left upper chest and shoulder felt like a mule kick, he-he. It left a nasty bruise that took X2 weeks to clear. I went ahead and filed a police report but no word yet as to potential offenders getting caught...:cool:
Pendejo said:
It's a first for me, after upteen thousands of miles riding. I was stopped at a red light this afternoon, and all of a sudden got thudded on the back, kidney area, hard. The can was open, and spewing soda as it hit the pavement, and it must have been pretty full. Two cars were going past me at that time, and I don't know which one was the guilty party. The thing I'm worried about though is my reaction. Instead of fantasizing for the next couple of hours about torture/murder, which is the healthy response in my opinion, I almost laughed. Should I see a shrink?

pocket pistols r relatively inexpensive and affective if shot placement is accurate. This is for the motorist who stops after he assaults. (The finger could possibly get him to stop
wink.gif
.) better check laws in your area though. For the anti's, just sit on the curb and cry
biggrin.gif
. Just kiddin..haha.. OK, blast me. I'm ready!

Well, one of the only things Mr.Bush did right during his term in florida was inact the self-defense laws. If you feel like your life is being threatened (group of attackers, weapons in plain sight, ect) you are allowed to defend yourself with lethal force. I haven't followed it to closely so I don't know how those cases are turning out. However, I am a lazy person, and I don't feel the need to fill out the tons of paperwork needed to be able to legally carry a concealed weapon.

Instead, a better idea would be to carry a rifle on your back. Totally legal, and a great deterrent since most attacks come from behind. Would you want to ******** someone who is toting a rifle in plain sight? If you live in the Moonlake area no one will even ask questions, they'll just assume your going hunting...

To be honest, I've only been in one situation that could have turned violent in three years of cycle commuting. I don't see a reason to carry a weapon, besides maybe a bottle of mace, and thats more for the wild dogs then the wild people.

*EDIT* Oh, btw, I probably wouldn't cycle into the Moonlake area unless I had a rifle on my back. I swear, if you want to find the Missing Link, he probably lives in Moon Lake...

There are advantages to getting hit by things thrown from cars:
  • 1. You can get good drugs, i.e. Percodan, Vicodin, Darvon...
    2. You can get cool scars, and as everyone knows, chicks dig scars.
    3. If you ID the offender, an attorney might score you some dosh.
    4. You can have some great pain, and pain is muy righteous.

Of course, there are the downsides:
  • 1. They reinforce the idea that 90%+ of all people are assholes.
    2. There's the potential loss of ride time.
    3. Fear for the future of humanity may make make sex and the concomitant risk of pregnancy not worth the risk of either creating an asshole or creating someone that will have to be subjected to assholes.

In the end, I always tell myself that I'll heal, the pain will go away, and any bike damage will be repaired; however Señor or Señorita Asshole will always be an asshole.

Reactions: Bob Ross
When I was a teenager I lived in Miami (what a crappy town for riding). I was doing some racing back then and I would go on longish rides every day. One time I was riding in South Miami and one of the lovely citizens of Miami drove by and threw a beer bottle at my back. The bottle broke and beer splattered on me. Man I was enraged!!! :mad: Surprisingly it didn't hurt all that bad. I guess youth can handle stuff like that; I'd probably have a broken bone if it happened now.

Rick_G said:
When I was a teenager I lived in Miami (what a crappy town for riding) ... QUOTE]

You got that right. I spend half my time in Miami, and I used to tote my bike down there, and then drive to Key Biscayne to train. It was about the only place you could go fast for a few miles, but it still sucked (rough shoulder, debris, cars flying by, occasional interruptions in the bike lane which forced you to enter the traffic lane, or slow up and go on the sidewalk for a bit, etc.) Eventually I just gave up and joined a gym there and use their stationary bikes to train while I'm in Miami. But I see a lot of people down there riding on narrow roads with very thick traffic. I think they're nuts - talk about Russian Roulette.

No you don't need a shrink. The person who tossed the can out of the car needs a cop and a shrink. Littering is illegal and just dumb. They could have gotten you in the eye or face with that.
Your reaction denotes sanity actually. It didn't even phase you. This is because riding a bike is such a great thing for the mind. Your mind is clear and untouchable. Its like a buddha state.

Yeah, I guess I would be livid if I was hit by a full can of soda. I've gotten into fights for lesser reasons. Of course, this was at a time when I was younger and more hot-headed. But I would've probably picked up the can and thrown it back at the perpetrator if they were in reasonable distance.

I freaking hate people who litter like that. Makes me sick to my stomach. If you had a camera rolling on the handle bars of your bike you could report those people and make them pay a hefty fine, maybe even get compensation.