Hit by motor vehicle

Happens all too often. I read about a similar situation in the Gold Coast hinterland on Saturday. Again driver not prepared to accept responsibility for actions.

Happens all too often.  I read about a similar situation in the Gold Coast hinterland on Saturday.  Again driver not prepared to accept responsibility for actions.

What happened there? I was riding in the hinterland on Sunday, but I haven't heard about this one yet.

What happened there?  I was riding in the hinterland on Sunday, but I haven't heard about this one yet.

Truck and cyclist at Mt Tambourine. Driver no patience, double centre line, no room, oncoming traffic. Cyclist squeezed. Cyclist meet up with the driver down the road. Driver offered the typical "bloody cyclist" response. Matter is being followed up with the driver's company and as I know it the police.

Truck and cyclist at Mt Tambourine.  Driver no patience, double centre line, no room, oncoming traffic.  Cyclist squeezed.  Cyclist meet up with the driver down the road. Driver offered the typical "bloody cyclist" response.  Matter is being followed up with the driver's company and as I know it the police.

Hmmm... I wonder what the legal ramifications of posting the name of the "driver's company" all over the Internet would be if he shows that sort of attitude...

Hmmm...  I wonder what the legal ramifications of posting the name of the "driver's company" all over the Internet would be if he shows that sort of attitude...

I pondered the same question. This site is above the quick and sensational one liner. 8)

Here's yet another. I found this on cyclingnews.com on Friday 8 March.

A 38 year old Sydney cyclist has been seriously injured after a truck hit him on the M2 motorway near North Epping late on Wednesday night. Michael Howarth, a member of the Lidcombe-Auburn cycling club, was riding home to Seven Hills after work at 11:30pm when the crash occurred. He was wearing reflective clothing and his bike was equipped with flashing lights, and he was riding in the left hand breakdown lane, with plenty of room between him and the traffic.

A traffic camera filmed what happened next: A white Toyota Dyna van suddenly veered to the left (off the main road) and struck Howarth, sending him flying into the air. The van then swung to the right and resumed its course.

Howarth was found on the ground by passing motorists who called the police and ambulance. He was taken to hospital with serious head injuries and has already had two operations. Doctors say he is in a critical condition.

Police are trying to determine whether the accident was deliberate, in which case the driver could be facing a charge of attempted murder.

Anyone with information should contact the Parramatta Crash Investigation Unit on 9689 7370 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

The news came as a shock to several Cyclingnews staff members who know Mike Howarth (who is a former member of Randwick-Botany cycling club) personally. We extend our best wishes to him and his family.

A traffic camera filmed what happened next: A white Toyota Dyna van suddenly veered to the left (off the main road) and struck Howarth, sending him flying into the air. The van then swung to the right and resumed its course.

Police are trying to determine whether the accident was deliberate, in which case the driver could be facing a charge of attempted murder.

It's fairly obvious what's happened here. It will be an interesting test of our legal system...

Well i got hit by a car yeterday :'( and my bike is absoulutely wrecked. my $1500 where bent front and back also the gear levers are twisted (might be ok) the front chain rings are also bent and the fork is twisted. the car pulled out in front of me when i was going 45kph. i hit the car and flew and hit the ground. at least i can walk today (painfully) i am very sore :(. my knees are sooo sore and my leg too at least nothing broke. ill tell you the whole story later. back to bed :(

a perfect solution - eye for an eye.
Let the stupid @#$%^ righteous motorist stand on the side of the road and let cyclists go past and take shots at him with pieces of his/her own @#$%^ car.

I lived in Adelaide for 14 years and never had an incident. I move to Brisbane and it's almost a "whenever I'm on my bike theres a friggin incident"
Motorists up here are @#$%^ most of the time. That's being general but most of them can't drive properly. My proof? There is an advanced driving course you can take here which sez alot for the unadvance driver huh.

roKeMS

You get the registration plate and then they send them a warning - big friggin deal.
A slap on the wrist for risking and endangering someones life for no reason.
It's truly pathetic.

roKeMS

You get the registration plate and then they send them a warning - big friggin deal.
A slap on the wrist for risking and endangering someones life for no reason.

It's truly pathetic.

Pathetic it is, but if you're not going to go to the police, I'd like to hear your alternative. Taking pot shots at them with bits of their car might be a good revenge fantasy, but I doubt it's ever going to happen in the real world.

yes the police,ambo and the fire brigade turned up. the police man got all the ppls details . i have yet to receive them and the police report but ill ring if i dont hear by wednesday. My knees are still sore and i cannot walk long/fast but should be back on the bike this week sometime. Still i think im lucky since i never broke any bones. and blokes stop sooking about drivers ;D . QLD is not that bad. I hope the drivers insurance pays up quickly though i do want my bike back in order soon.

Sorry to hear about your crash. Hadn't you ought to give your knees a rest for a week or two? Yeah, I know it's hard to keep off em. Did you get them X-rayed? The other party should be liable for all your medical costs. Did the police charge the driver with failing to give way? Or let the matter drop? I'd reckon that if your'e getting back on a bike soon, then maybe stick to the low gears, spin, to avoid putting too much pressure on the kneecaps with higher gears, if you don't mind me suggesting. Cheers.

i want to ride my bicycle i want to ride my bike ;)....
well my knees are on the recovery but still sore. It looks like it might take a bit till the insurance pays out? wait and see. how is every one elses biking going?

hey redhenderen i just got mail from cq. are you going into any of the Trek series races or the other ones (fernvale-maleny) do you know what they are like? they sound good but iv never raced a 135-65k race :) have you done any of them?

Not a series but I can tell you that the Cunningham Classic usually sets the pulse a runnin.

Get in have a go ... its the only way to get the experience. 8) 8)

well i finally heard from the drivers insurance company and they claim its my fault because of 'your neglegent handling of your bike' its laughable. this is after i gave them a detailed statement. they say they will send me the repair bill for the drivers car. yeah right :mad: :mad: :mad: im not done yet.

i might be going to the trek race at samford (now at lakeside) if i get my new bike in time that is ;) are you going to it redhenderen?

Nicholas - I think this is a standard tatic. They're bluffing, of course. But you must do something, otherwise I feel you may be forced to pay. Sounds like you need to put the matter into the hands of a solicitor, or lawyer, if you haven't already done so. Up the ante.
If you have a state group like "Bicycle Queensland",
(as we have "Bicycle Victoria" down here), they may be able to give you some advice or refer you to someone.
I'm not entirely sure, but I reckon that now you must not communicate in any way with the driver, his legal reps., or the insurance company. It should all be done by your solicitor.
Just make sure you give him all the details and correspondence. The sooner the better.

Unfortunately, that is probably true. It seems to be the old "Anything you say may be used against you" tactic. They're probably trying to get something that could be loosely construed as a "confession" to get them off the hook. I too would be contacting Bicycle Queensland and finding some legal representation to deal with it.