Hit from behind by bike - whose fault is it?

Jack

Guest
I was riding my bike just past a narrow path with a friend, when the bicycle in front of me (my
friend) suddenly stopped and I run into his bike and damaged my leg and his mudguard.

Whose fault is it?

My fault, for riding too close to him (I was chatting to him) or his, for stopping suddenly
without warning.

Thank you

Ever hear the term "equal negligence"?

--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic programmer)
"Jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I was riding my bike just past a narrow path with a friend, when the
bicycle
> in front of me (my friend) suddenly stopped and I run into his bike and damaged my leg and his
> mudguard.
>
> Whose fault is it?
>
> My fault, for riding too close to him (I was chatting to him) or his, for stopping suddenly
> without warning.
>
> Thank you

So you say "both are equaly at fault" So each one can claim "negligence" from the other Thanks

"GRL> wrote in message .
> Ever hear the term "equal negligence"?
>
> --
>
> - GRL
>
> "Jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > I was riding my bike just past a narrow path with a friend, when the
> bicycle
> > in front of me (my friend) suddenly stopped and I run into his bike and damaged my leg and his
> > mudguard.
> >
> > Whose fault is it?
> >
> > My fault, for riding too close to him (I was chatting to him) or his, for stopping suddenly
> > without warning.
> >
> > Thank you

Jack typed the following

> So you say "both are equaly at fault" So each one can claim "negligence" from the other Thanks
>
> "GRL> wrote in message .
>> Ever hear the term "equal negligence"?
<snip>

Maybe it's because I am not American, but why "claim" at all? (Can only think there was a lot of
damage ,that the respective insurance companys are going to pay for).

--
yours K (Addy not usable [not that you would try it anyway]) There wis a Hare ran tae a burn it ran
sae fast it couldnae turn \\SPLASH// :eek:) [Please note grammar and descriptions are loose so no

wrote:

>I was riding my bike just past a narrow path with a friend, when the bicycle in front of me (my
>friend) suddenly stopped and I run into his bike and damaged my leg and his mudguard.
>
>Whose fault is it?
>
>My fault, for riding too close to him (I was chatting to him) or his, for stopping suddenly
>without warning.

That you were chatting isn't an excuse. It's a contributory cause. The collision was your fault.
Whether it's a bike or a car, the primary responsibility for avoiding rear end collisions is on the
operator of the rearmost vehicle. I'm curious- why do you ask? I'd hope that you aren't arguing over
who should pay for the damaged mudguard or any medical bills. Little scrapes like you describe
happen. IMO it's best just to learn from them and move on.

Regards, Bob Hunt

On Mon, 26 May 2003 10:36:44 +0000 (UTC), "Jack" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I was riding my bike just past a narrow path with a friend, when the bicycle in front of me (my
>friend) suddenly stopped and I run into his bike and damaged my leg and his mudguard.
>
>Whose fault is it?

Yours.

Barry

On Mon, 26 May 2003 10:36:44 +0000 (UTC), "Jack" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My fault, for riding too close to him (I was chatting to him) or his, for stopping suddenly
>without warning.

Neither,

Its his bicycle manufacturers fault for having brakes that work too good, and your bicycle
manufacturers fault for having brakes that suck.

Also consider the state/village/dept who owns/manages the bike path. And the builder of the
path also.

"Hunrobe"
> Whether it's a bike or a car, the primary responsibility for avoiding rear end collisions is on
> the operator of the rearmost vehicle.

Are you saying that the "rearmost vehicle" is always at fault ...even if the front vehicle had no
stop lights?

Thanks

On Mon, 26 May 2003 14:03:33 +0000 (UTC), "Jack" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Hunrobe"
>> Whether it's a bike or a car, the primary responsibility for avoiding rear end collisions is on
>> the operator of the rearmost vehicle.
>
>Are you saying that the "rearmost vehicle" is always at fault ...even if the front vehicle had no
>stop lights?
>
>Thanks

In many states, this is true for motor vehicles.

Barry

On Mon, 26 May 2003 10:36:44 +0000, Jack wrote:

> I was riding my bike just past a narrow path with a friend, when the bicycle in front of me (my
> friend) suddenly stopped and I run into his bike and damaged my leg and his mudguard.
>
> Whose fault is it?
>
> My fault, for riding too close to him (I was chatting to him) or his, for stopping suddenly
> without warning.

Choice #1. You ran into him. You are supposed to be able to control your bike well enough to not run
into things in front of you.

Things can happen at the front of the line that you can't see, but the rider in front can. It is up
to you to avoid hitting him. This applies whether or not you were in a paceline (which is dumb on a
narrow trail). You need to have an escape route if the rider in front suddenly stops.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all _`\(,_ | mysteries, and all
knowledge; and though I have all faith, so (_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not
charity, I am nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

>>Are you saying that the "rearmost vehicle" is always at fault ...even if the front vehicle had no
>>stop lights?

>If you're talking about traffic codes the short answer is yes. If the front

Bicycling is full of scratches and scrapes and flats and breakdowns. Most of them aren't really
"fault". If it wasn't too serious, just try to avoid it in the future.

--
mac the naïf

I am a little puzzled as to why you ask this question. All the preceding responses are correct. The
difference is your not on the road. You are out having fun. For example, not too long ago on a
really slippery down (motorcycling) I stopped hard to avoid a huge piece of granite rock. The guy
behind me was on my ass (and that's OK because we were cooking). I slowed before he could get it
under control. He hit my bike and knocked it completely out from under me. I was sitting on his
front fender. He broke a radiator shroud and my rear fender was completely bent.

We asked if each other if were OK, and that was the end of that. He IS STILL my by best
riding buddy.

...and that is what is important.

"Jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I was riding my bike just past a narrow path with a friend, when the
bicycle
> in front of me (my friend) suddenly stopped and I run into his bike and damaged my leg and his
> mudguard.
>
> Whose fault is it?
>
> My fault, for riding too close to him (I was chatting to him) or his, for stopping suddenly
> without warning.
>
> Thank you

"Jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I was riding my bike just past a narrow path with a friend, when the bicycle in front of me (my
> friend) suddenly stopped and I run into his bike and damaged my leg and his mudguard.

Reminds me of a wake-up call I had last year. I was pacing a cyclist about 30 feet ahead of me at
about 30 kph when he saw an attractive female cyclist sitting next to her bike by the side of the
road. He panic stopped and I almost didn't manage to miss him. Memo to self: even with a large
gap, it's important to be alert (to the cyclist panic stopping, not just the cause of his panic
stop :) ).

Then there was the time (same street, same speed) when I glanced over and noticed a double
shadow. Pondering WHEN we had acquired that second sun, I tried to catch sight of the drafter in
my peripheral vision, or hear his bike. To no avail. What a maroon. Not only is it rude to hide
on someone's wheel without warning them, it's dangerous.

Originally posted by Jack
I was riding my bike just past a narrow path with a friend, when the bicycle in front of me (my
friend) suddenly stopped and I run into his bike and damaged my leg and his mudguard.

Whose fault is it?

My fault, for riding too close to him (I was chatting to him) or his, for stopping suddenly
without warning.

Thank you

Jack,
You are a victim of your country's Hollywood Lawyer culture - strike a blow for the human race and take responsibility for your own safety. Say sorry and enjoy the rest of the ride with your friend:confused:

So true to the point! You will never know what will trigger a cyclist to slow down. It could be
impending doom or beautiful scenery. Riding on the tail of others is risky and your
responsibilility.

news:[email protected]...

[email protected] (mark freedman) wrote:

> Reminds me of a wake-up call I had last year. I was pacing a cyclist about 30 feet ahead of me
> at about 30 kph when he saw an attractive female cyclist sitting next to her bike by the side of
> the road. He panic stopped and I almost didn't manage to miss him. Memo to self: even with a
> large gap, it's important to be alert (to the cyclist panic stopping, not just the cause of his
> panic stop :) ).

It occurs to me that the above is a great incentive to do some braking practice (not that your
story indicates poor technique). There are riders who know how to shift their butt back and stand
the bike on its nose (figuratively, though sometimes literally), and others that are scared of the
front brake. If the former are leading the latter in a paceline and Something Bad [tm] happens,
carnage ensues.

I don't know who should be considered at fault, but it sounds like your friend should consider
getting a new friend.

"Jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> So you say "both are equaly at fault" So each one can claim "negligence" from the other Thanks
>
> "GRL> wrote in message .
> > Ever hear the term "equal negligence"?
> >
> > --
> >
> > - GRL
> >
> > "Jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > I was riding my bike just past a narrow path with a friend, when the
> > bicycle
> > > in front of me (my friend) suddenly stopped and I run into his bike
and
> > > damaged my leg and his mudguard.
> > >
> > > Whose fault is it?
> > >
> > > My fault, for riding too close to him (I was chatting to him) or his, for stopping suddenly
> > > without warning.
> > >
> > > Thank you

>I was riding my bike just past a narrow path with a friend, when the bicycle in front of me (my
>friend) suddenly stopped and I run into his bike and damaged my leg and his mudguard. Whose fault
>is it? My fault, for riding too close to him (I was chatting to him) or his, for stopping suddenly
>without warning.

Legally, your fault for tailgating.

You probably "picked him up" when you passed him, thinking, I'm just going to blow by this guy. And
he's thinking, Aha! Someone to draft on who thinks they're fast.

Getting drafted can be annoying when you think you're fast, but it's part of cycling. And remember,
two cyclists together is faster than one alone.