Hit from behind by bike - whose fault is it?

J. Bruce Fields <[email protected]> wrote:

> That'll save you in a lot of cases, I'm sure. It won't save you when:
> * I stop because of something you couldn't possibly have known about
> (e.g., I just found the address I was looking for). Of course I probably won't be braking
> really hard, but if you're really just a fraction of a second behind me, normal
> braking could be enough; or

A good example of this for me: if I'm on-call & I hear my cellphone ring. I do tend to stop pretty
damn fast in that case so I don't miss the call. If someone were drafting me at the time, they
definitely would hit me.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g Klatu barada nikto.

>Damn I'm no physicist but I'm turning into one. Actually, while you will be travelling at about 30
>ft. per second when you hit the brakes, you will slow to about 20 ft. per second within about 5
>feet, and then down to 10 ft. per second after around 10 feet. Right? The whole stop seems to take
>something like 1.5-seconds. Sounds like a calculus problem to me.

It could be a calculus problem. It's more like a "leaving out certain irritating but nevertheless
important factors" problem.

There isn't anything wrong with your math. It works fine if you assume that the braking force acts
equally on all parts of the system.

It doesn't. You can demonstrate this at speeds well under 20 mph.

The system (by this I mean the bicycle, rider, and accessories) tends to rotate forward about the
front axle under hard braking. You know this all ready. As the rear wheel lifts off the surface its
contribution to braking becomes nil.

At this point the operator is either skillfully modulating the front brake or locking it up. Either
way, the frame begins to rotate about the steerer tube and the rear end comes around, unless you are
perfectly lined up.

The operator must either reduce braking to drop the rear wheel back on to the surface, swing the
bike back into line with the acceleration vector or crash sideways. This is far from the ideal .8 G
acceleration.

I'm not arguing with your equations, I'm just saying you need more of them to accurately describe
what happens in a full on stop.

The part about the frame and rider rotating around the steerer once the rear wheel lifts off is of
particular interest, since I've heard of quite a few cycle crashes that included this sideways
slide, in most cases the operator portrayed it as intentional.

It wasn't, unless they were aware that it happens. It's preferable to an endo.

I guess my point is that a lot of stuff is going on in an emergency stop that isn't always obvious.
It's nice to be able to sit back and armchair these scenarios, but in the real world it's happening
so fast that there isn't time to analyze it.

And most road cyclists don't crash enough to build up an experience base, IMHO.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 08:04:05 -0400, archer <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote:

>But while the bike is crashing behind you, you are flying into the car in front of you. Not a good
>trade-off, IMO.

Oh, I dunno. By that time you should be going at a manageable speed. Knocking into the rear of a
barely-moving car at 8 miles an hour or so without any irritating sharp bits of poking metal from
the bike in the way shouldn't be too bad, if you get a bit of a crumple zone from your arms and
legs. Using your nose or skull as crumple zone, not such a hot idea.

Jasper

> Thanks for that. Yes, very sensitive to initial speed, etc. But I think we can now agree that the
> statement that a rider will get launched over the bars at anything over .7-g has now been shown to
> be complete bunk.
>
> I suspect this .7 number came from John Forester's book Effective Cycling where he writes "You can
> get a theoretically perfect stop with the front brake alone, but there's no margin for error. You
> can get about 0.66 g deceleration, but then you are balanced exactly over the front wheel." (p.
> 126, first MIT press edition, 1984.)
>
> Maybe the difference comes from advances in equipment. Forester might have been using the old Dia
> Compe "G" brakes (an ironic name for a brake if ever there was one), while I am using Dura Ace
> dual pivots, on Mavic machined rims and a carbon fork. My friend who proved he could stop his bike
> at 1g without bringing his rear tire off the ground was on a custom built titanium cyclo-cross
> frame with V brakes and heavily treaded Conti Top Tourings. Makes me wonder if I could do even
> better on my fully rigid mountain bike with its big knobbies. Friction between the road and rear
> tire seems to be a major factor in stopping distance.

I think it's more likely that the difference comes from frame and rider geometry, because of how
that affects the location of the center of gravity in relation to the contact patch of the tires. A
longer wheelbase, more rake in the fork, or a seat positioned lower or further back will move the CG
down and back from the contact patch, allowing more g's before you flip the bike over the front
wheel, as well as allowing more braking power from the rear tire.

Any time you can lock up a wheel, you are at the tire's max stopping power.

it's morning".

> David Kerber wrote: << I think it's more likely that the difference comes from frame and rider
> geometry, because of how that affects the location of the center of gravity in relation to the
> contact patch of the tires. A longer wheelbase, more rake in the fork, or a seat positioned
> lower or further back will move the CG down and back from the contact patch, allowing more g's
> before you flip the bike over the front wheel, as well as allowing more braking power from the
> rear tire.>>
>
> Agreed. I had assumed that the Great Forester, who is like Gandolf to many on this forum, knew how
> to handle his bike, now I'm not so sure. It's not only where the body is positioned, but how it is
> moving under braking. Well-timed rearward momentum counteracts the forward momentum of inertia.
>
> <<Any time you can lock up a wheel, you are at the tire's max stopping power.
> >>

> I believe the point of maximum stopping power is arrived at just before lock-up, as Pete
> mentioned.

Agreed; my poorly-stated point was that if you have enough braking power to lock up a wheel, it
doesn't matter if you have cantilevers or old- style center pulls, your brakes no longer have any
effect on your ability to slow down; it's all in the tire after that point.

> Tread is a major factor in this because (1) a treaded tire arrives at the point of skidding later
> than a smooth one and (2) once it starts skidding, there is more friction between tire and
> pavement.

Then how come ALL race cars use slicks as long as the pavement is dry? I would think that a slick
*of the same size* would give you better stopping power than any treaded tire because there's more
rubber touching the road. Of course the sticking point is that usually bicycle slicks are small,
high pressure tires designed for light weight and low rolling resistance for high speeds, while
treaded tires are larger, lower pressure tires designed for off-road or bad-weather traction. If
(and it's a big 'IF') you could get a slick of the same size and pressure as a knobby MTB tire, I'll
bet it would stop you better than the knobby would on dry pavement.

it's morning".

"R15757" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> David Kerber wrote: << I think it's more likely that the difference comes
from
> frame and rider geometry, because of how that affects the location of the center of gravity in
> relation to the contact patch of the tires. A longer wheelbase, more rake in the fork, or a seat
> positioned lower or further
back
> will move the CG down and back from the contact patch, allowing more g's
before
> you flip the bike over the front wheel, as well as allowing more braking
power
> from the rear tire.>>
>
> Agreed. I had assumed that the Great Forester, who is like Gandolf to many
on
> this forum, knew how to handle his bike, now I'm not so sure. It's not
only
> where the body is positioned, but how it is moving under braking.
Well-timed
> rearward momentum counteracts the forward momentum of inertia.

You can only move back so far and still maintain a hold on the handlebars. .

> <<Any time you can lock up a wheel, you are at the tire's max stopping
power.

> I believe the point of maximum stopping power is arrived at just before lock-up, as Pete
> mentioned. Tread is a major factor in this because (1) a treaded tire arrives at the point of
> skidding later than a smooth one and
(2)
> once it starts skidding, there is more friction between tire and pavement.
>
> Robert

In the dry, smooth tires are better. More rubber on the ground. In any event, road bike tire treads
are so minimal as to be nonexistent.

Pete

> David Kerber wrote: "Agreed; my poorly-stated point was that if you have enough braking power to
> lock up a wheel, it doesn't matter if you have cantilevers or old-style center pulls, your brakes
> no longer have any effect on your ability to slow down; it's all in the tire after that point."
>
> For the rear tire but not the front, which is still rolling. The front brake does most of the
> stopping.

It applies to any tire, not just the rear; once you lock up the front, stronger brakes won't help
you any more (though a parachute might <Grin>). With some careful modulation practice, a rider
should be able to keep both tires at just below their lock-up point for max stopping power. If your
bike geometry and weight distribution was such that you could skid the front tire rather than
flipping over it (recumbent?) if it locks up, then your tires really start coming into play.

> > Tread is a major factor in this because (1) a treaded tire arrives at the point of skidding
> > later than a smooth one and (2) once it starts skidding, there is more friction between tire and
> > pavement.
>
> "Then how come ALL race cars use slicks as long as the pavement is dry? I would think that a slick
> *of the same size* would give you better stopping power than any treaded tire because there's more
> rubber touching the road. Of course the sticking point is that usually bicycle slicks are small,
> high pressure tires designed for light weight and low rolling resistance for high speeds, while
> treaded tires are larger, lower pressure tires designed for off-road or bad-weather traction. If
> (and it's a big 'IF') you could get a slick of thesame size and pressure as a knobby MTB tire,
> I'll bet it would stop you better than the knobby would on dry pavement."
>
> It's an interesting question. Hell if I know. I do know that racing slicks are made of very soft
> rubber. When it starts to rain, and the coefficient of friction goes down, they switch to tread.
> If we follow your logic to its conclusion, they would want even smoother tires when the track gets
> slippery.

Not if the slipperyness is caused by water, sand or something else between the tire and the solid
road surface. The very soft rubber allows the tire to interact with even the smallest irregularities
in the pavement surface, as well as getting some true adhesion effects. A thin layer of water
prevents the tire from contacting the road surface at all; unless the water can be pushed out of the
way to allow the rubber to interact with the microscopic roughness of the road, the tire just rides
on a thin film of water like hydroplaning. The spaces between tread blocks give the water somewhere
to go, so it doesn't stay between the rubber on top of the blocks and the road.

> Racing is a tension between speed and traction.
>
> Asphalt pavement is not smooth. It is composed of little rocks that are stuck together. On a bike,
> little tread features interact with the little rocks, and slow the bike down, wheareas my smooth
> tires skim right over the top.

For this to work, ISTM that the size of the tread patterns would need to be on the order of the size
of the irregularities in the road, which is pretty small. On asphalt, the texture is often somewhat
rougher than concrete is. Take this to its logical extension and tell me if you think your treaded
tire will give you better traction on a polished wood floor like a gym floor or an indoor velodrome?
I'll bet a slick will be MUCH better there.

it's morning".

"R15757" <[email protected]> wrote

> The road surface is not smooth at the scale of a bicycle tread.

Exactly. That is why the tread makes little, if any, difference. The treads simply fall into
the 'cracks'.

> Made of little rocks that snag on the tread, is my guess.

Change 'rocks' to irregularities. And also snags the deformed surface of slicks.

Pete

"R15757" <[email protected]> wrote

> No not simply fall into the cracks, when the tire is skidding.

Who was talking about skidding? Traction. The typical treaded bike tire has very small ridges
referred to as the tread. Those would do nothing to increase the traction over a similarly
constructed tire with no tread.

A tire with huge, deep tread (an MTB knobby as an extreme example) has less rubber on the road. And
as such, less traction. Knobbies are good for dirt, because the surface deforms under the tire,
giving extra grip. The road doesn't deform.

> Snags the "deformed surface of slicks?" Now you're really reaching.

You doubt that the surface of a bike tire (treaded or slick), under load, deforms when in contact
with an irregular surface?

> It's great how the argument has gone from "do bikes stop faster than cars"
> "why do bikes stop faster than cars." How about a little credit?

Credit? No, just talking about different tire treads. The statement "bikes easily beat cars in
stopping distance" is still unproven. Especially if you do not include an S-turn maneuver, and just
talk about straightline stopping power, as the original discussion started.

Pete

In article <[email protected]>, r15757 @aol.com says...

> spaces between tread blocks give the water somewhere to go, so it doesn't stay between the rubber
> on top of the blocks and the road. >>
>

> Very true. I was just testin' ya. :)

So I guess I passed?? ;-)

> That's exactly what I'm saying. Asphalt is not smooth. Get down and look at it. Top Touring treads
> grab on it.

My feeling is that a slick with equally soft rubber will grip just as well because the
irregularities in the asphalt are probably so much smaller than the tread blocks in your tire, but I
can't prove it. I guess we'll just have to go out for a ride and test it <GG>.

> In principle this is correct what you say about slicks on smooth surfaces. But tread, especially
> with knobs, is funky. Against a hard smooth surface, soft rubber knobbies grab and do strange
> things like slow a bike down. The knobbies move somewhat independently of the tire. If by "MUCH
> better" you mean stops faster, then who knows what would happen.

Yes, that's what I mean, but again, I have no proof, so we'll just have to test it. Good luck
finding tires of the size size and rubber compound in both slick and treaded versions :)

In article <[email protected]>, r15757 @aol.com says...

> It's great how the argument has gone from "do bikes stop faster than cars" to "why do bikes stop
> faster than cars." How about a little credit?

I don't think we're discussing "why bikes stop faster than cars" so much as "how can we make bikes
stop faster?" I still don't think a bike is going to stop faster than a car in a maximum braking
situation, but I really don't want to restart that argument; I'm having too much fun discussing the
technical aspects of tire traction on road surfaces.

"R15757" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> << Who was talking about skidding? >>
>
> I was.

When?

> << The typical treaded bike tire has very small ridges referred to as the tread. Those would do
> nothing to increase the traction over a
similarly
> constructed tire with no tread. >>
>
> totally irrelevant to my point about skidding Conti Top Touring tires.

From previous posts: "My friend who proved he could stop his bike at 1g without bringing his rear
tire off the ground was on a custom built titanium cyclo-cross frame with V brakes and heavily
treaded Conti Top Tourings." [seems to impy no skidding]

"I believe the point of maximum stopping power is arrived at just before lock-up" [seems to impy
no skidding]

"For the rear tire but not the front, which is still rolling. The front brake does most of the
stopping." [again..no skidding]

"... but in the type of stop I describe, the front never locks up." [no skidding here]

"...straight ahead stop on a bike without even bringing the rear wheel up" [no skidding here either]

Not trying to be fnny here, but all of your previous comments have been talking about straighline
stopping, just to the point of rear wheel raising. Now...if you can do that while the front tire is
skidding, hat's off to you.

The skidding parameter seems to be first raised here: <<Exactly. That is why the tread makes little,
if any, difference. The treads simply fall into the 'cracks'.>>

> No not simply fall into the cracks, when the tire is skidding.

> << A tire with huge, deep tread (an MTB knobby as an extreme example) has
less
> rubber on the road. And as such, less traction. Knobbies are good for
dirt,
> because the surface deforms under the tire, giving extra grip. The road doesn't deform. >>
>
> Right, but the knobbies do deform.

Sure. The knob face deforms on contact with the road. Just as the rubber on non-knobby tires. Just
that there is less surface area. Oh yeah...the knob body deforms as well.

Roll a wet knobby over a piece of paper. Measure the contacted surface area. Now do the same with a
slick tire. Which has contacted a greater percentage of the paper?

I think we shall just have to agree to disagree. Slicks vs tread Car vs bike CG vs how far and fast
off the back you can hang.

Pete

[email protected] (R15757) wrote
> It's not only where the body is positioned, but how it is moving under braking. Well-timed
> rearward momentum counteracts the forward momentum of inertia.

Wow. Please, please, illuminate us as to what the "forward momentum of interia" is.

Once I got done marveling at this ludicrous sentence, the only thing I could think of was Wile E.
Coyote, plunging toward certain death on a big slab of rock, saving himself at the last minute by
stepping neatly off when the rock was a foot off the ground... I _love_ cartoon physics.

CC

>Pete, I'm sorry you misunderstood. As I wrote in my post to David, there is no way to perform this
>kind of stop without skidding the rear tire. It's impossible. THe front does not skid, the rear
>wheel does. Perhaps you could stop quicker without skidding the rear, but I don't think it could be
>done, because the serious force which MUST be applied the front brake, very nearly to the point of
>locking it, wants to lift up the rear. So, just to repeat, the front wheel rolls, while the rear
>wheel skids but does not come off the ground, although the skidding is unavoidable precisely
>BECAUSE the rear wants to come off the ground. In this situation, the Contis grab the pavement and
>slow the bike down quicker than my slicks, in my opinion.

Product placement is everything.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

message news:[email protected]...
> David Kerber wrote: "Agreed; my poorly-stated point was that if you have
enough
> braking power to lock up a wheel, it doesn't matter if you have
cantilevers or
> old-style center pulls, your brakes no longer have any effect on your
ability
> to slow down; it's all in the tire after that point."
>
> For the rear tire but not the front, which is still rolling. The front
brake
> does most of the stopping.
>
> > Tread is a major factor in this because (1) a treaded tire arrives at the point of skidding
> > later than a smooth one
and (2)
> > once it starts skidding, there is more friction between tire and
pavement.

> "Then how come ALL race cars use slicks as long as the pavement is dry? I would think that a slick
> *of the same size* would give you better stopping power than any treaded tire because there's more
> rubber touching the road.
Of
> course the sticking point is that usually bicycle slicks are small, high pressure tires designed
> for light weight and low rolling resistance for
high
> speeds, while treaded tires are larger, lower pressure tires designed for off-road or bad-weather
> traction. If (and it's a big 'IF') you could get
> slick of thesame size and pressure as a knobby MTB tire, I'll bet it would
stop
> you better than the knobby would on dry pavement."
>
> It's an interesting question. Hell if I know. I do know that racing slicks
are
> made of very soft rubber. When it starts to rain, and the coefficient of friction goes down, they
> switch to tread. If we follow your logic to its conclusion, they would want even smoother tires
> when the track gets
slippery.
> Racing is a tension between speed and traction.
>
> Asphalt pavement is not smooth. It is composed of little rocks that are
stuck
> together. On a bike, little tread features interact with the little rocks,
and
> slow the bike down, wheareas my smooth tires skim right over the top.

Jobst ... oh, Jobst!

Robin Hubert ([email protected])

[email protected] (R15757) wrote:

>I guess I'm the only one out there who has actually tried this, although everybody else seems to
>know a WHOLE LOT about it.

I regularly perform stops that lift my rear wheel off the ground, but I also know I don't come close
to a 1g stop while doing it.

>Robert who has safely executed .9g stops previously thought to be outside the realm of physics.

Could I interest you in a perpetual motion machine?

[email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote:
> [email protected] (R15757) wrote
> > It's not only where the body is positioned, but how it is moving under braking. Well-timed
> > rearward momentum counteracts the forward momentum of inertia.
>
> Wow. Please, please, illuminate us as to what the "forward momentum of interia" is.
>
> Once I got done marveling at this ludicrous sentence, the only thing I could think of was Wile E.
> Coyote, plunging toward certain death on a big slab of rock, saving himself at the last minute by
> stepping neatly off when the rock was a foot off the ground... I _love_ cartoon physics.

As a child I nearly crippled my sister because of our belief in cartoon physics. I pulled her off
the top bunk bed by her feet (at her request), thinking that I could swing her around the room by
her legs. She (I) broke her tailbone. (She had to eat standing at the kitchen table for quite some
time, but otherwise she was fine.)

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

"zeldabee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20030608103800.088

> As a child I nearly crippled my sister because of our belief in cartoon physics. I pulled her off
> the top bunk bed by her feet (at her request), thinking that I could swing her around the room by
> her legs. She (I) broke her tailbone. (She had to eat standing at the kitchen table for quite some
> time, but otherwise she was fine.)

I was also a victim of that sort. I was pushed backward off the top bunk when I was kid. Luckily, a
television broke my fall before I went splat on the floor. I was fine, but that television was never
the same. I think bunkbeds will not be a part of my kids' decor.

-Buck