Hit & Run

[Not Responding]

Guest
A colleague at work was hit by a car recently and the driver gave him
the finger and buggered off. Fortunately he wasn't hurt but he was
left a bit bruised and holding a knackered bike.

He got the first three letters/numbers of the number plate, the colour
and the make and reported it to the police along with a description of
damage the car would probably show. The police tracked down the car
but said that the owner wouldn't let them have access to the vehicle
and that they could take no further action. This all sounds a bit off
to me who naively though that a hit and run accident should be pursued
with a little more vigour.

Fortunately, the victim (one of my converts to pedal power) has not
been put off by the experience but, counting me, this makes three of
the senior management team that have been hit by cars while commuting.
My "cycling is safe and fun" article in the company rag is beginning
to look a bit thin!

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:11:57 +0100, "[Not Responding]"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>He got the first three letters/numbers of the number plate, the colour
>and the make and reported it to the police along with a description of
>damage the car would probably show. The police tracked down the car
>but said that the owner wouldn't let them have access to the vehicle
>and that they could take no further action. This all sounds a bit off
>to me who naively though that a hit and run accident should be pursued
>with a little more vigour.

Presumably having traced said vehicle they have released the details
for the insurance claim? Or will there have to be a "name and shame"
letter in the local rag?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:11:57 +0100 someone who may be "[Not
Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>The police tracked down the car
>but said that the owner wouldn't let them have access to the vehicle
>and that they could take no further action.

That's bollocks.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

[Not Responding] wrote:

> The police tracked down the car
> but said that the owner wouldn't let them have access to the vehicle
> and that they could take no further action.

I find it very odd how (a) the police are so quick to give the brush-off
to victims of traffic-related offences and (b) the public seem so happy
to lie down and take it. I don't really know what the solution is, other
than to generally kick and scream and cause a fuss.

James
by treading on the toes of giants.

Crikey, if thats the case, just imagine the number of hit & run incidents there are and if all drivers who were tracked down refused access to their vehicle!. It really does show how useless the police forces are.

IMO, you need to try and obtain the details of the driver and try some other route of getting something such as compensation for damage to you/your bike etc.

>The police tracked down the car
>but said that the owner wouldn't let them have access to the vehicle
>and that they could take no further action.

Sounds like plod can't be bothered. I wonder if it's someone who is a friend of
plod who owns the car??? Is your friend a member of the CTC? If he is he should
contact them without delay to use the legal service which comes as a benefit of
CTC membership. If not - try contacting one of the solicitors who advertise in
Cycling Weekly and the like to sound out the case.

Chers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

<[email protected]> wrote:

>A colleague at work was hit by a car recently and the driver gave him
>the finger and buggered off. Fortunately he wasn't hurt but he was
>left a bit bruised and holding a knackered bike.
>
>He got the first three letters/numbers of the number plate, the colour
>and the make and reported it to the police along with a description of
>damage the car would probably show. The police tracked down the car
>but said that the owner wouldn't let them have access to the vehicle
>and that they could take no further action.

Yes they can. take it further, sounds like the HAVE not tracked the
owner. Ask to see the the officer dealing paperwork. Keep pestering
!!! Vehicles can be traced through the DVLC.

Also the motorist has commited the offence of 'Not Stopping after an
Accident and Failing to Report an Accident (presuming he has
not)........

Alway carry a pencil and paper in a handy pocket and practice doing
quick draws (OK to stop the puns - and quick writes) to get the same
out of you pocket and writing on it !!

Jack Ouzzi wrote:

> Alway carry a pencil and paper in a handy pocket and practice doing
> quick draws (OK to stop the puns - and quick writes) to get the same
> out of you pocket and writing on it !!

I think a camera phone is the modern equivalent - I've always
got mine with me...

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Just for future reference.

Its now an ARRESTABLE offence for a motorist to fail to stop after an
INJURY rta.
Injury being the operative word, however any injury will do

Which means the police have full powers to kick the buggers door in at 3am
and drag them screaming out of bed.
Also police can seize the car if it is required as evidence.

ask to speak to the Duty Inspector to lodge a formal complaint.

Good luck

Mick. A Cycling Bobby
news:[email protected]...

<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>A colleague at work was hit by a car recently and the driver gave him
>the finger and buggered off. Fortunately he wasn't hurt but he was
>left a bit bruised and holding a knackered bike.
>
>He got the first three letters/numbers of the number plate, the colour
>and the make and reported it to the police along with a description of
>damage the car would probably show. The police tracked down the car
>but said that the owner wouldn't let them have access to the vehicle
>and that they could take no further action.

Surely plod don't need the owner's permission to investigate a
hit'n'run accident?

Or are they saying they'd need access to 300 cars to identify the
specific one because there are too many with the same
make/model/colour/number plate combo?

--
Cheers,
Euan

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:53:45 GMT someone who may be Gawnsoft
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Surely plod don't need the owner's permission to investigate a
>hit'n'run accident?

It is an excuse the police use when they don't want to look into
something.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:37:36 +0100, David Hansen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:53:45 GMT someone who may be Gawnsoft
><[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>Surely plod don't need the owner's permission to investigate a
>>hit'n'run accident?

>It is an excuse the police use when they don't want to look into
>something.

If it was me it had happened to, I'd make a fuss. But it was a friend
who I think is less likely to act on the principle of it than I.