Hit & Run

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [Not Responding], Sep 13, 2004.

  1. A colleague at work was hit by a car recently and the driver gave him
    the finger and buggered off. Fortunately he wasn't hurt but he was
    left a bit bruised and holding a knackered bike.

    He got the first three letters/numbers of the number plate, the colour
    and the make and reported it to the police along with a description of
    damage the car would probably show. The police tracked down the car
    but said that the owner wouldn't let them have access to the vehicle
    and that they could take no further action. This all sounds a bit off
    to me who naively though that a hit and run accident should be pursued
    with a little more vigour.

    Fortunately, the victim (one of my converts to pedal power) has not
    been put off by the experience but, counting me, this makes three of
    the senior management team that have been hit by cars while commuting.
    My "cycling is safe and fun" article in the company rag is beginning
    to look a bit thin!

    Tags:

  2. On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:11:57 +0100, "[Not Responding]"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <[email protected]>:

    >He got the first three letters/numbers of the number plate, the colour
    >and the make and reported it to the police along with a description of
    >damage the car would probably show. The police tracked down the car
    >but said that the owner wouldn't let them have access to the vehicle
    >and that they could take no further action. This all sounds a bit off
    >to me who naively though that a hit and run accident should be pursued
    >with a little more vigour.

    Presumably having traced said vehicle they have released the details
    for the insurance claim? Or will there have to be a "name and shame"
    letter in the local rag?

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  3. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:11:57 +0100 someone who may be "[Not
    Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >The police tracked down the car
    >but said that the owner wouldn't let them have access to the vehicle
    >and that they could take no further action.

    That's bollocks.

    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  4. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    [Not Responding] wrote:

    > The police tracked down the car
    > but said that the owner wouldn't let them have access to the vehicle
    > and that they could take no further action.

    I find it very odd how (a) the police are so quick to give the brush-off
    to victims of traffic-related offences and (b) the public seem so happy
    to lie down and take it. I don't really know what the solution is, other
    than to generally kick and scream and cause a fuss.

    James
    by treading on the toes of giants.

  5. DSK

    DSK New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2003
    Crikey, if thats the case, just imagine the number of hit & run incidents there are and if all drivers who were tracked down refused access to their vehicle!. It really does show how useless the police forces are.

    IMO, you need to try and obtain the details of the driver and try some other route of getting something such as compensation for damage to you/your bike etc.

  6. >The police tracked down the car
    >but said that the owner wouldn't let them have access to the vehicle
    >and that they could take no further action.

    Sounds like plod can't be bothered. I wonder if it's someone who is a friend of
    plod who owns the car??? Is your friend a member of the CTC? If he is he should
    contact them without delay to use the legal service which comes as a benefit of
    CTC membership. If not - try contacting one of the solicitors who advertise in
    Cycling Weekly and the like to sound out the case.

    Chers, helen s

  7. Jack Ouzzi

    Jack Ouzzi Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A colleague at work was hit by a car recently and the driver gave him
    >the finger and buggered off. Fortunately he wasn't hurt but he was
    >left a bit bruised and holding a knackered bike.
    >
    >He got the first three letters/numbers of the number plate, the colour
    >and the make and reported it to the police along with a description of
    >damage the car would probably show. The police tracked down the car
    >but said that the owner wouldn't let them have access to the vehicle
    >and that they could take no further action.

    Yes they can. take it further, sounds like the HAVE not tracked the
    owner. Ask to see the the officer dealing paperwork. Keep pestering
    !!! Vehicles can be traced through the DVLC.

    Also the motorist has commited the offence of 'Not Stopping after an
    Accident and Failing to Report an Accident (presuming he has
    not)........

    Alway carry a pencil and paper in a handy pocket and practice doing
    quick draws (OK to stop the puns - and quick writes) to get the same
    out of you pocket and writing on it !!

  8. Jack Ouzzi wrote:

    > Alway carry a pencil and paper in a handy pocket and practice doing
    > quick draws (OK to stop the puns - and quick writes) to get the same
    > out of you pocket and writing on it !!

    I think a camera phone is the modern equivalent - I've always
    got mine with me...

    --
    jc

    Remove the -not from email

  9. mick

    mick Guest

    Just for future reference.

    Its now an ARRESTABLE offence for a motorist to fail to stop after an
    INJURY rta.
    Injury being the operative word, however any injury will do

    Which means the police have full powers to kick the buggers door in at 3am
    and drag them screaming out of bed.
    Also police can seize the car if it is required as evidence.

    ask to speak to the Duty Inspector to lodge a formal complaint.

    Good luck

    Mick. A Cycling Bobby
    "[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >A colleague at work was hit by a car recently and the driver gave him
    > the finger and buggered off. Fortunately he wasn't hurt but he was
    > left a bit bruised and holding a knackered bike.
    >
    > He got the first three letters/numbers of the number plate, the colour
    > and the make and reported it to the police along with a description of
    > damage the car would probably show. The police tracked down the car
    > but said that the owner wouldn't let them have access to the vehicle
    > and that they could take no further action. This all sounds a bit off
    > to me who naively though that a hit and run accident should be pursued
    > with a little more vigour.
    >
    > Fortunately, the victim (one of my converts to pedal power) has not
    > been put off by the experience but, counting me, this makes three of
    > the senior management team that have been hit by cars while commuting.
    > My "cycling is safe and fun" article in the company rag is beginning
    > to look a bit thin!

  10. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

    >A colleague at work was hit by a car recently and the driver gave him
    >the finger and buggered off. Fortunately he wasn't hurt but he was
    >left a bit bruised and holding a knackered bike.
    >
    >He got the first three letters/numbers of the number plate, the colour
    >and the make and reported it to the police along with a description of
    >damage the car would probably show. The police tracked down the car
    >but said that the owner wouldn't let them have access to the vehicle
    >and that they could take no further action.

    Surely plod don't need the owner's permission to investigate a
    hit'n'run accident?

    Or are they saying they'd need access to 300 cars to identify the
    specific one because there are too many with the same
    make/model/colour/number plate combo?

    --
    Cheers,
    Euan

  11. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:53:45 GMT someone who may be Gawnsoft
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >Surely plod don't need the owner's permission to investigate a
    >hit'n'run accident?

    It is an excuse the police use when they don't want to look into
    something.

    prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  12. On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:37:36 +0100, David Hansen
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:53:45 GMT someone who may be Gawnsoft
    ><[email protected]> wrote this:-
    >
    >>Surely plod don't need the owner's permission to investigate a
    >>hit'n'run accident?

    >It is an excuse the police use when they don't want to look into
    >something.

    If it was me it had happened to, I'd make a fuss. But it was a friend
    who I think is less likely to act on the principle of it than I.