hitch/carrier question

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rich Westerman, Feb 25, 2003.

  1. I'm having a reciever hitch put on my car this week and I'm wondering which carrier is best
    for a LWB.

    btw, anyone else notice this ng being sluggish in d/loading headers and msg's? Other ng's don't seem
    to have this problem. I'm on a Direcway 2-way satellite system, btw.

    thanks

    rich

    V2

    Tags:

  2. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "rich westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I'm having a reciever hitch put on my car this week and I'm wondering which carrier is best
    > for a LWB.
    >
    > btw, anyone else notice this ng being sluggish in d/loading headers and msg's? Other ng's don't
    > seem to have this problem. I'm on a Direcway 2-way satellite system, btw.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > rich
    >
    > V2

    Haven't noticed the download problem, and I have cable. I have a Sportworks rack, which is quite a
    fine rack but would not likely work for a LWB without mucho mods. Depending on the bike(not familiar
    with the V2)you ought to be able to hang it on most any rack designed for non- bents.

  3. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    I have a Rhode Gear ,Highway model which I carried my V-2 on. Also carried at different times ,a
    Rans screamer,a trike ,a p-38,upright bikes. In other words it works well for about everything. It
    has 2 heavy duty arms on which you can set about any bike. Ben fox "rich westerman"
    > I'm having a reciever hitch put on my car this week and I'm wondering
    which
    > carrier is best for a LWB.
    >
    > btw, anyone else notice this ng being sluggish in d/loading headers and msg's? Other ng's don't
    > seem to have this problem. I'm on a Direcway
    2-way
    > satellite system, btw.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > rich
    >
    > V2

  4. St

    St Guest

    Rich,

    I have a very long GRR, and found 2 choices to transport it with a hitch with the bike in a vertical
    (front fork up and angled forward) orientation.

    The first way is with http://www.badgerrack.com.

    Their's is very simple, but elegant. Five well-constructed pieces that easily come apart, and
    reassemble very easily in less than a minute. The front fork of your bike (front wheel removed :>)
    is held way up in the air by means of a quick release (QR) on the carrier.

    Pros: less than $300.00, disassembles/reassembles in less than a minute into 5 pieces if you have a
    storage problem. It is very well- constructed. Excellent customer service.

    Cons: It is tricky to lift the bike up and then to support it while getting the front fork into the
    QR, and then closeing the QR while holding the bike in the air.

    Solution to this problem: buy/make (with a few scraps of wood) a simple small stool to support the
    back wheel while freeing your one hand to work on the QR. The stool must be EXACTLY the correct
    height. If too LOW you will still be lifting/supporting your bike while closing the QR (I won't get
    into the annoyance of lawyer lugs which make for more work in closing the QR). If too HIGH, your
    fork will be above the QR. If you are going to make this small stool, give it a little extra length
    in the forward/back dimension so that as you move the supported rear wheel forward and back, the
    front fork will move up and down for the perfect fit into the QR.

    I have not actually gotten the stool yet (I will soon take an easy rear-wheel height measurement);
    but will when the weather warms in frigid Minneapolis. I believe that it will be an easy solution.

    Second vendor: draftmaster.com

    I don't know much about this one, but it has been called the Cadillac of carriers. It may cost about
    twice as much, and is much larger, and probably does not disassemble quickly into small pieces for
    easy storage. However, I think that it does have some mechanism for easy lifting of the front fork
    into the air, thus its larger size, and higher price. Users seem very happy with it. I think that
    you might be limited to a 2- inch hitch with this baby.

    Hope that this will give you some ideas to start with.

    Happy biking. Hope that you are in a warm climate.

    Sonny Taylor

    > > I'm having a reciever hitch put on my car this week and I'm wondering which carrier is best for
    > > a LWB.
    > >
    > > btw, anyone else notice this ng being sluggish in d/loading headers and msg's? Other ng's don't
    > > seem to have this problem. I'm on a Direcway 2-way satellite system, btw.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > rich

  5. J. Morris

    J. Morris Guest

    Hollywood team rider has newer cups but I'd measure the wheel base you need to cover just
    to be sure..

    rich westerman wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >carrier is best for a LWB.

  6. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Hi Rich, The following is what I did a while back for transport on the back of my Accord: If you or
    a friend is handy with a torch. Here's what I did. 1. Bought a 4ft by 2ft cargo carrier, made a
    removeable light gaged channel for my 72inch WB V2xL, used the extra pieces that came with the cargo
    carrier plus $10 worth of steel to form the angled V2 frame bike carrier. Total cost approx $105.
    Now I have a dual purpose V2 / anything up to (they say 500lbs, I don't trust that I only carry up
    to about) 300lbs. P.S. Only thing I have to remove is the fairing and depending on how far I'm
    going, the seat.

    If for a pickup, Frontier in my case, it's even easier: With three pieces of high density foam at
    the rear axle,front axle and on the side of the seat plus four tie-downs with 3/4" PVC to provide
    stability and one bunge cord for front wheel tie-down.(Not really needed, but what the heck) I lay
    my RANS V2 xL...DOWN... in my Frontier's bed. Perfect ride, and the seat stays on and is not a bug
    catcher. Cost, about $4.00.

    Of course I had to find other things to spend the money on......I did.

    Cheers,

    ~~ O ,____ ~~~ \ _ / \ % \ ~ ( ® ) =======/ (o)

    "rich westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm having a reciever hitch put on my car this week and I'm wondering
    which
    > carrier is best for a LWB.
    >
    > btw, anyone else notice this ng being sluggish in d/loading headers and msg's? Other ng's don't
    > seem to have this problem. I'm on a Direcway
    2-way
    > satellite system, btw.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > rich
    >
    > V2

  7. Harv

    Harv Guest

    Hey rorschandt, I have a SW too. Ever haul a bent with fenders on it? It feels like the tire hold
    down hooks would destroy a RANS fender. "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > "rich westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > I'm having a reciever hitch put on my car this week and I'm wondering which carrier is best for
    > > a LWB.
    > >
    > > btw, anyone else notice this ng being sluggish in d/loading headers and msg's? Other ng's don't
    > > seem to have this problem. I'm on a Direcway 2-way satellite system, btw.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > rich
    > >
    > > V2
    > >

    > Haven't noticed the download problem, and I have cable. I have a Sportworks rack, which is quite a
    > fine rack but would not likely work for a LWB without mucho mods. Depending on the bike(not
    > familiar with the V2)you ought to be able to hang it on most any rack designed for non- bents.

  8. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Hey rorschandt, I have a SW too. Ever haul a bent with fenders on it? It feels like the tire hold
    > down hooks would destroy a RANS fender. "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    >> "rich westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> news:[email protected]:
    >>
    >> > I'm having a reciever hitch put on my car this week and I'm wondering which carrier is best for
    >> > a LWB.
    >> >
    >> > btw, anyone else notice this ng being sluggish in d/loading headers and msg's? Other ng's don't
    >> > seem to have this problem. I'm on a Direcway 2-way satellite system, btw.
    >> >
    >> > thanks
    >> >
    >> > rich
    >> >
    >> > V2
    >> >

    >> Haven't noticed the download problem, and I have cable. I have a Sportworks rack, which is quite
    >> a fine rack but would not likely work for a LWB without mucho mods. Depending on the bike(not
    >> familiar with the V2)you ought to be able to hang it on most any rack designed for non- bents.

    It happens, that my Haluzak front fender is hacked off just in front of the brake. I would be uneasy
    about hauling a bike being held by the fender!

    rorschandt

  9. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    P.S. Noticed the concern about fenders. My V2xL has RANS fenders on it, No problemo....

    news:[email protected]...