Hitch Racks - Recommendations needed

Mr B

Guest
Howdy,

I'm in the market for a trailer htich bike rack and am
looking for any general recommendations. I want a 4 bike
holder that is made for a 2" hitch and doesn't need some
sort of adaptor.

From what I've gathered, Thule, Saris, and Yakima seem to be
the top brands. I've also seen other brands at local stores
and wanted to get input on pros and cons so I don't buy
something and find my bike behind me on the freeway.

Here are the ones I've come across recently at local stores:
Schwinn 4 bike hitch rack (Dunhams) - $119 Thule 934 (Sport
Mart) $174 Saris T-Rax (Local bike shop) $169 Impact Stealth
(online) $150ish Outback HitchRack (Target) $99

I'm sure the Saris or Thule would be the highest quality but
I hadn't ever seen the Schwinn one before and was told it
was relatively new at the SportMart I was at.

If anyone has firsthand experience with these or would
recommend one over the other, please let me know. The rack
would probably only be used a couple times per year so I'm
leaning towards the cheaper ones but a open to other info.

Thanks.

http://tinyurl.com/3a4ry

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

"Mr B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Howdy,
>
> I'm in the market for a trailer htich bike rack and am
> looking for any
general recommendations. I
> want a 4 bike holder that is made for a 2" hitch and
> doesn't need some
sort of adaptor.

> From what I've gathered, Thule, Saris, and Yakima seem to
> be the top
brands. I've also seen other
> brands at local stores and wanted to get input on pros and
> cons so I don't
buy something and find my
> bike behind me on the freeway.
>
> Here are the ones I've come across recently at local
> stores: Schwinn 4 bike hitch rack (Dunhams) - $119 Thule
> 934 (Sport Mart) $174 Saris T-Rax (Local bike shop) $169
> Impact Stealth (online) $150ish Outback HitchRack
> (Target) $99
>
> I'm sure the Saris or Thule would be the highest quality
> but I hadn't ever
seen the Schwinn one
> before and was told it was relatively new at the SportMart
> I was at.
>
> If anyone has firsthand experience with these or would
> recommend one over
the other, please let me
> know. The rack would probably only be used a couple times
> per year so I'm
leaning towards the
> cheaper ones but a open to other info.
>
> Thanks.

If you have a trailer hitch mounted bike rack would you bike
always be behind you?

> [...]

brands. I've also seen other
> brands at local stores and wanted to get input on pros and
> cons so I don't
buy something and find my
> bike behind me on the freeway.
>
> Here are the ones I've come across recently at local
> stores: Schwinn 4 bike hitch rack (Dunhams) - $119 Thule
> 934 (Sport Mart) $174 Saris T-Rax (Local bike shop) $169
> Impact Stealth (online) $150ish Outback HitchRack
> (Target) $99
>
> I'm sure the Saris or Thule would be the highest quality
> but I hadn't ever
seen the Schwinn one
> before and was told it was relatively new at the SportMart
> I was at.
>
> If anyone has firsthand experience with these or would
> recommend one over
the other, please let me
> know. The rack would probably only be used a couple times

I have a Swagman XP fold down bike rack. It connects to my
2" hitch. Very sturdy, solid build. The cradles can be
installed on an angle to accommodate angular top tubes and
the padding does a good job of protecting the finish. They
are also made out of steel unlike the Thule which provides a
bit more confidence while doing long trips - I only look
back every 30 minutes or so, instead of the 5 minute
intervals because of the plastic straps. I love my bikes,
wouldn't want to lost them to the highway!

www.swagmanbikeracks.com

If anyone's interested, I have a used Draftmaster 2" hitch
mounted bike carrier that I'd make someone a heck of a deal
on. The rack is very stout and carries up to four bikes
vertically via fork mounts. I'm located in Portland, Oregon
and would be happy to answer any questions about the rack or
even show it to someone if they were from the area. -Neil

"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mr B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I'm in the market for a trailer htich bike rack and am
> > looking for any
> general recommendations. I
> > want a 4 bike holder that is made for a 2" hitch and
> > doesn't need some
> sort of adaptor.
> >
> > From what I've gathered, Thule, Saris, and Yakima seem
> > to be the top
> brands. I've also seen other
> > brands at local stores and wanted to get input on pros
> > and cons so I
don't
> buy something and find my
> > bike behind me on the freeway.
> >
> > Here are the ones I've come across recently at local
> > stores: Schwinn 4 bike hitch rack (Dunhams) - $119 Thule
> > 934 (Sport Mart) $174 Saris T-Rax (Local bike shop) $169
> > Impact Stealth (online) $150ish Outback HitchRack
> > (Target) $99
> >
> > I'm sure the Saris or Thule would be the highest quality
> > but I hadn't
ever
> seen the Schwinn one
> > before and was told it was relatively new at the
> > SportMart I was at.
> >
> > If anyone has firsthand experience with these or would
> > recommend one
over
> the other, please let me
> > know. The rack would probably only be used a couple
> > times per year so
I'm
> leaning towards the
> > cheaper ones but a open to other info.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> I have a Swagman XP fold down bike rack. It connects to my
> 2" hitch.
Very
> sturdy, solid build. The cradles can be installed on an
> angle to accommodate angular top tubes and the padding
> does a good job of
protecting
> the finish. They are also made out of steel unlike the
> Thule which
provides
> a bit more confidence while doing long trips - I only look
> back every 30 minutes or so, instead of the 5 minute
> intervals because of the plastic straps. I love my bikes,
> wouldn't want to lost them to the highway!
>
> www.swagmanbikeracks.com

I currently use the Thule model but mine doesn't have the
fold down arms so it is a bit cheaper and not as
convenient but it is the same idea. I find that the
cradles tend to slip around a bit so it isn't that great.
One thing I would recommend is to look at hollywood or
sportwork bike rack, they do tend to be more expensive but
I think overall they will be better fit for holding most
bikes and being secure. I would look at those two if price
is not an object. Good luck.