Hitch Racks - Recommendations needed

Mr B

Guest
Howdy,

I'm in the market for a trailer htich bike rack and am looking for any general recommendations. I
want a 4 bike holder that is made for a 2" hitch and doesn't need some sort of adaptor.

From what I've gathered, Thule, Saris, and Yakima seem to be the top brands. I've also seen other
brands at local stores and wanted to get input on pros and cons so I don't buy something and find my
bike behind me on the freeway.

Here are the ones I've come across recently at local stores:
Schwinn 4 bike hitch rack (Dunhams) - $119
Thule 934 (Sport Mart) $174
Saris T-Rax (Local bike shop) $169
Impact Stealth (online) $150ish
Outback HitchRack (Target) $99

I'm sure the Saris or Thule would be the highest quality but I hadn't ever seen the Schwinn one
before and was told it was relatively new at the SportMart I was at.

If anyone has firsthand experience with these or would recommend one over the other, please let me
know. The rack would probably only be used a couple times per year so I'm leaning towards the
cheaper ones but a open to other info.

Thanks.

http://tinyurl.com/3a4ry

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

"Mr B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Howdy,
>
> I'm in the market for a trailer htich bike rack and am looking for any

general recommendations. I
> want a 4 bike holder that is made for a 2" hitch and doesn't need some

sort of adaptor.

> From what I've gathered, Thule, Saris, and Yakima seem to be the top

brands. I've also seen other
> brands at local stores and wanted to get input on pros and cons so I don't

buy something and find my
> bike behind me on the freeway.
>
> Here are the ones I've come across recently at local stores:
> Schwinn 4 bike hitch rack (Dunhams) - $119
> Thule 934 (Sport Mart) $174
> Saris T-Rax (Local bike shop) $169
> Impact Stealth (online) $150ish
> Outback HitchRack (Target) $99
>
> I'm sure the Saris or Thule would be the highest quality but I hadn't ever

seen the Schwinn one
> before and was told it was relatively new at the SportMart I was at.
>
> If anyone has firsthand experience with these or would recommend one over

the other, please let me
> know. The rack would probably only be used a couple times per year so I'm

leaning towards the
> cheaper ones but a open to other info.
>
> Thanks.

If you have a trailer hitch mounted bike rack would you bike always be
behind you?

"Mr B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Howdy,
>
> I'm in the market for a trailer htich bike rack and am looking for any

general recommendations. I
> want a 4 bike holder that is made for a 2" hitch and doesn't need some

sort of adaptor.

> From what I've gathered, Thule, Saris, and Yakima seem to be the top

brands. I've also seen other
> brands at local stores and wanted to get input on pros and cons so I don't

buy something and find my
> bike behind me on the freeway.
>
> Here are the ones I've come across recently at local stores:
> Schwinn 4 bike hitch rack (Dunhams) - $119
> Thule 934 (Sport Mart) $174
> Saris T-Rax (Local bike shop) $169
> Impact Stealth (online) $150ish
> Outback HitchRack (Target) $99
>
> I'm sure the Saris or Thule would be the highest quality but I hadn't ever

seen the Schwinn one
> before and was told it was relatively new at the SportMart I was at.
>
> If anyone has firsthand experience with these or would recommend one over

the other, please let me
> know. The rack would probably only be used a couple times per year so I'm

leaning towards the
> cheaper ones but a open to other info.
>
> Thanks.

"Mr B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Howdy,
>
> I'm in the market for a trailer htich bike rack and am looking for any

general recommendations. I
> want a 4 bike holder that is made for a 2" hitch and doesn't need some

sort of adaptor.

> From what I've gathered, Thule, Saris, and Yakima seem to be the top

brands. I've also seen other
> brands at local stores and wanted to get input on pros and cons so I don't

buy something and find my
> bike behind me on the freeway.
>
> Here are the ones I've come across recently at local stores:
> Schwinn 4 bike hitch rack (Dunhams) - $119
> Thule 934 (Sport Mart) $174
> Saris T-Rax (Local bike shop) $169
> Impact Stealth (online) $150ish
> Outback HitchRack (Target) $99
>
> I'm sure the Saris or Thule would be the highest quality but I hadn't ever

seen the Schwinn one
> before and was told it was relatively new at the SportMart I was at.
>
> If anyone has firsthand experience with these or would recommend one over

the other, please let me
> know. The rack would probably only be used a couple times per year so I'm

leaning towards the
> cheaper ones but a open to other info.
>
> Thanks.

I have a Swagman XP fold down bike rack. It connects to my 2" hitch. Very
sturdy, solid build. The cradles can be installed on an angle to
accommodate angular top tubes and the padding does a good job of protecting
the finish. They are also made out of steel unlike the Thule which provides
a bit more confidence while doing long trips - I only look back every 30
minutes or so, instead of the 5 minute intervals because of the plastic
straps. I love my bikes, wouldn't want to lost them to the highway!

www.swagmanbikeracks.com

If anyone's interested, I have a used Draftmaster 2" hitch mounted bike
carrier that I'd make someone a heck of a deal on. The rack is very stout
and carries up to four bikes vertically via fork mounts. I'm located in
Portland, Oregon and would be happy to answer any questions about the rack
or even show it to someone if they were from the area. -Neil

"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mr B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I'm in the market for a trailer htich bike rack and am looking for any

> general recommendations. I
> > want a 4 bike holder that is made for a 2" hitch and doesn't need some

> sort of adaptor.
> >
> > From what I've gathered, Thule, Saris, and Yakima seem to be the top

> brands. I've also seen other
> > brands at local stores and wanted to get input on pros and cons so I

don't
> buy something and find my
> > bike behind me on the freeway.
> >
> > Here are the ones I've come across recently at local stores:
> > Schwinn 4 bike hitch rack (Dunhams) - $119
> > Thule 934 (Sport Mart) $174
> > Saris T-Rax (Local bike shop) $169
> > Impact Stealth (online) $150ish
> > Outback HitchRack (Target) $99
> >
> > I'm sure the Saris or Thule would be the highest quality but I hadn't

ever
> seen the Schwinn one
> > before and was told it was relatively new at the SportMart I was at.
> >
> > If anyone has firsthand experience with these or would recommend one

over
> the other, please let me
> > know. The rack would probably only be used a couple times per year so

I'm
> leaning towards the
> > cheaper ones but a open to other info.
> >
> > Thanks.

> I have a Swagman XP fold down bike rack. It connects to my 2" hitch.

Very
> sturdy, solid build. The cradles can be installed on an angle to
> accommodate angular top tubes and the padding does a good job of

protecting
> the finish. They are also made out of steel unlike the Thule which

provides
> a bit more confidence while doing long trips - I only look back every 30
> minutes or so, instead of the 5 minute intervals because of the plastic
> straps. I love my bikes, wouldn't want to lost them to the highway!
>
> www.swagmanbikeracks.com

I currently use the Thule model but mine doesn't have the fold down arms so
it is a bit cheaper and not as convenient but it is the same idea. I find
that the cradles tend to slip around a bit so it isn't that great. One
thing I would recommend is to look at hollywood or sportwork bike rack, they
do tend to be more expensive but I think overall they will be better fit for
holding most bikes and being secure. I would look at those two if price is
not an object. Good luck.