Hitchhiking on a bike

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Brooke, Dec 22, 2004.

  1. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    Many of us here will be pleased to know that a bicycle will feature in
    the forthcoming movie of the Hitch Hiker's Guide. To be specific, this
    one: <URL:http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/movienews/bike.html>

    It appears to be a fixie.

    For office use only. Please do not write or type below this line.

    Tags:

  2. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Simon Brooke composed the following ...
    > Many of us here will be pleased to know that a bicycle will feature in
    > the forthcoming movie of the Hitch Hiker's Guide. To be specific, this
    > one: <URL:http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/movienews/bike.html>
    >
    > It appears to be a fixie.

    and then some ...

    --
    Paul ...
    http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

  3. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Paul - xxx wrote:
    > Simon Brooke composed the following ...

    > > It appears to be a fixie.

    > and then some ...

    I'm impressed that someone's taken the trouble to line the brake blocks
    up with the rims. Nice touch.

    --
    Dave...

  4. NC

    NC Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > Many of us here will be pleased to know that a bicycle will feature in
    > the forthcoming movie of the Hitch Hiker's Guide. To be specific, this
    > one: <URL:http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/movienews/bike.html>
    >
    > It appears to be a fixie.

    Speaking as an Audax rider, there doesn't appear to be enough clearance for
    mudguards.....

    - Nigel

    --
    NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/
    Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

  5. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Paul - xxx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Simon Brooke composed the following ...
    > > Many of us here will be pleased to know that a bicycle will feature in
    > > the forthcoming movie of the Hitch Hiker's Guide. To be specific, this
    > > one: <URL:http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/movienews/bike.html>
    > >
    > > It appears to be a fixie.

    > and then some ...

    Infinite improbability drive??

    I'll get my dressing gown.

  6. "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Many of us here will be pleased to know that a bicycle will feature in
    > the forthcoming movie of the Hitch Hiker's Guide. To be specific, this
    > one: <URL:http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/movienews/bike.html>
    >
    > It appears to be a fixie.
    >
    > --

    Could it possibly be designed to ride down/up the steps behind it?
    Steve.

  7. Eiron

    Eiron Guest

    spademan o---[) * wrote:
    > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Many of us here will be pleased to know that a bicycle will feature in
    >>the forthcoming movie of the Hitch Hiker's Guide. To be specific, this
    >>one: <URL:http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/movienews/bike.html>
    >>
    >>It appears to be a fixie.
    >>
    >>--

    > Could it possibly be designed to ride down/up the steps behind it?

    No. There's not enough room for the "wheel" to rotate.

    --
    Eiron.

  8. Jon is Away!

    Jon is Away! Guest

    Paul - xxx wrote:
    > and then some ...

    s'obvious innit? It's a caterpillar track bike. Those 'spokes' are
    telescopic and slide through the 'wheels' while attached to the 'tyres'
    on the outside. Due to the nature of the tyre movement, mudgaurds will
    not be as necessary as on a 'normal' bike, but could probably be fitted
    into the space available.

    :)

    Jon

  9. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Jon is Away! wrote:
    > s'obvious innit? It's a caterpillar track bike. Those 'spokes' are
    > telescopic and slide through the 'wheels' while attached to the 'tyres'
    > on the outside. Due to the nature of the tyre movement, mudgaurds will
    > not be as necessary as on a 'normal' bike, but could probably be fitted
    > into the space available.

    *This* is a caterpillar track cycle:
    <URL:http://www.mobilityeng.com/>

  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Danny Colyer
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Jon is Away! wrote:
    > > s'obvious innit? It's a caterpillar track bike. Those 'spokes' are
    >> telescopic and slide through the 'wheels' while attached to the
    >> 'tyres' on the outside. Due to the nature of the tyre movement,
    >> mudgaurds will not be as necessary as on a 'normal' bike, but could
    >> probably be fitted into the space available.

    > *This* is a caterpillar track cycle:
    > <URL:http://www.mobilityeng.com/>

    W'oh! And they waste those things on disabled people? Give me one with
    foot-pedals!

    ;; Woz: 'All the best people in life seem to like LINUX.'
    ;; <URL:http://www.woz.org/woz/cresponses/response03.html>

  11. On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 14:28:16 -0800, Jon is Away! wrote:

    > Paul - xxx wrote:
    >> and then some ...

    > s'obvious innit? It's a caterpillar track bike. Those 'spokes' are
    > telescopic and slide through the 'wheels' while attached to the 'tyres' on
    > the outside.

    No, they are obviously 'smart wheels' in a resting position.
    From Neal Stephenson's Snowcrash.
    http://technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=117
    "Smart wheels use sonar, laser range finding and millimeter wave radar to
    identify mufflers and other debris. Each one consists of a hub with many
    tiny spokes. Each spoke telescopes into five sections. On the end is a
    squat foot, rubber tread on the bottom, swiveling on a ball joint. As the
    wheel rolls, the feet plant themselves one at a time, almost glomming into
    one continuous tire. If you surf over a bump, the spokes contract to roll
    over it. If you surf over a pothole, the rubber prongs probe its asphalt
    depths."

    A set of smart wheels would be just the dab for the UK urban road surface.