Hitchhiking on a bike

Simon Brooke

Guest
Many of us here will be pleased to know that a bicycle will feature in
the forthcoming movie of the Hitch Hiker's Guide. To be specific, this
one: <URL:http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/movienews/bike.html>

It appears to be a fixie.

For office use only. Please do not write or type below this line.

Simon Brooke composed the following ...
> Many of us here will be pleased to know that a bicycle will feature in
> the forthcoming movie of the Hitch Hiker's Guide. To be specific, this
> one: <URL:http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/movienews/bike.html>
>
> It appears to be a fixie.

and then some ...

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

Paul - *** wrote:
> Simon Brooke composed the following ...

> > It appears to be a fixie.

> and then some ...

I'm impressed that someone's taken the trouble to line the brake blocks
up with the rims. Nice touch.

--
Dave...

Simon Brooke wrote:
> Many of us here will be pleased to know that a bicycle will feature in
> the forthcoming movie of the Hitch Hiker's Guide. To be specific, this
> one: <URL:http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/movienews/bike.html>
>
> It appears to be a fixie.

Speaking as an Audax rider, there doesn't appear to be enough clearance for
mudguards.....

- Nigel

--
NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/
Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

"Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Simon Brooke composed the following ...
> > Many of us here will be pleased to know that a bicycle will feature in
> > the forthcoming movie of the Hitch Hiker's Guide. To be specific, this
> > one: <URL:http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/movienews/bike.html>
> >
> > It appears to be a fixie.

> and then some ...

Infinite improbability drive??

I'll get my dressing gown.

> Many of us here will be pleased to know that a bicycle will feature in
> the forthcoming movie of the Hitch Hiker's Guide. To be specific, this
> one: <URL:http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/movienews/bike.html>
>
> It appears to be a fixie.
>
> --

Could it possibly be designed to ride down/up the steps behind it?
Steve.

spademan o---[) * wrote:
> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Many of us here will be pleased to know that a bicycle will feature in
>>the forthcoming movie of the Hitch Hiker's Guide. To be specific, this
>>one: <URL:http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/movienews/bike.html>
>>
>>It appears to be a fixie.
>>
>>--

> Could it possibly be designed to ride down/up the steps behind it?

No. There's not enough room for the "wheel" to rotate.

--
Eiron.

Paul - *** wrote:
> and then some ...

s'obvious innit? It's a caterpillar track bike. Those 'spokes' are
telescopic and slide through the 'wheels' while attached to the 'tyres'
on the outside. Due to the nature of the tyre movement, mudgaurds will
not be as necessary as on a 'normal' bike, but could probably be fitted
into the space available.

:)

Jon

Jon is Away! wrote:
> s'obvious innit? It's a caterpillar track bike. Those 'spokes' are
> telescopic and slide through the 'wheels' while attached to the 'tyres'
> on the outside. Due to the nature of the tyre movement, mudgaurds will
> not be as necessary as on a 'normal' bike, but could probably be fitted
> into the space available.

*This* is a caterpillar track cycle:
<URL:http://www.mobilityeng.com/>

in message <[email protected]>, Danny Colyer
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Jon is Away! wrote:
> > s'obvious innit? It's a caterpillar track bike. Those 'spokes' are
>> telescopic and slide through the 'wheels' while attached to the
>> 'tyres' on the outside. Due to the nature of the tyre movement,
>> mudgaurds will not be as necessary as on a 'normal' bike, but could
>> probably be fitted into the space available.

> *This* is a caterpillar track cycle:
> <URL:http://www.mobilityeng.com/>

W'oh! And they waste those things on disabled people? Give me one with
foot-pedals!

;; Woz: 'All the best people in life seem to like LINUX.'
;; <URL:http://www.woz.org/woz/cresponses/response03.html>

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 14:28:16 -0800, Jon is Away! wrote:

> Paul - *** wrote:
>> and then some ...

> s'obvious innit? It's a caterpillar track bike. Those 'spokes' are
> telescopic and slide through the 'wheels' while attached to the 'tyres' on
> the outside.

No, they are obviously 'smart wheels' in a resting position.
From Neal Stephenson's Snowcrash.
http://technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=117
"Smart wheels use sonar, laser range finding and millimeter wave radar to
identify mufflers and other debris. Each one consists of a hub with many
tiny spokes. Each spoke telescopes into five sections. On the end is a
squat foot, rubber tread on the bottom, swiveling on a ball joint. As the
wheel rolls, the feet plant themselves one at a time, almost glomming into
one continuous tire. If you surf over a bump, the spokes contract to roll
over it. If you surf over a pothole, the rubber prongs probe its asphalt
depths."

A set of smart wheels would be just the dab for the UK urban road surface.