Hitting things

Regalia

Jan 8, 2016
U.S.A
Have you accidentally hit an animal or person before? Inanimate objects? Something like a tree? :D

I sped down a road once, fantasizing about anime or something. When suddenly, one of my tuxedo cats comes running into my path. I tried to stop with my feet, since my brakes were on the fritz. It was no use. I slammed into him, but he walked off, unharmed. I hit him with my foot. I can't say the same for my calico, Grey. I hit him with my front wheel. It was more like a bump. My cousin once hit a ditch because of a motorcycle miscalculation. He flew a few feet. lol. He didn't get hurt...that bad.

I'm glad the cat walked away unharmed! I've never hit an animal or object. I'd feel so terrible if I did. :(

Man, you had me worried there for a second. Be careful, cats are sometimes really dumb when it comes to their own safety. I've actually hit a tree once, although I flew off the road before that. And I wasn't really on my bike any more. More like flying through the air haha

I have to admit that upto now I've been pretty lucky and managed to avoid anything that's either run out in front of me or I've not seen until the last second.

Even when I've been cycling off road, the hidden tree stump or gate post I've managed to avoid. I'm sure one day though my luck will run out!

likeastroll, I did feel bad, I'd feel even worse if they started to limp after those hits. They acted like nothing happened at all. Not scared the bike. I don't think they're that smart heh.
pwarbi, I hope you didn't jinx yourself! haha. You are lucky though.
bykster, I've learned my lesson. Some cats are too curious for their own good. That or they are like a deer in headlights. Did you sustain any major injuries? What happened?

I came real close to a 6x6 bull elk flying down a mountain at 45+ mph. Terrifying.

Bull Elk? upload_2016-1-26_18-16-3.jpeg Like this? Oh My God! That's so not normal. I'm speechless. That is terrifying. The closest thing I have is a tiny deer. haha. They can be scary too though. Boxing deer. And then the antlers. My cousin nearly hit a buck with her bike. I told her she was lucky it didn't kill her...or rape her lol. I'm horrible. I was surprised that they could run that fast, but then I thought, "These creatures are prey. These creatures are prey?!"

That was about the size....certainly 300+ class. I'm still seeing the antlers pass by me. It was quite a jolt of Adrenaline. Probably 650 pounds of bull elk. I see deer all the time and I know the roads and their patterns. I would not want to hit one of them but they would not kill me so I am not too scared. Hitting an elk rack at 45+ and it is (my) game over.

I did run over a Cape Cobra in Africa. Forgot that one.

Riding is like driving that care is needed as you pass along. Hitting something or going over something is considered an accident so in order to avoid accidents, your eyes should be alert. We have a saying here that goes like....

O, Lord, grant me a steady hand and a watchful eye
that no one shall be hurt as I pass by.

I've had close calls with stray dogs that like to cross in front of bicycles (as in, gleefully chasing us) and with cyclists that like to pass me on group rides only to suddenly slow down after (so annoying). But I have never actually hit anything.

While I've never hit them, I can definitely relate to the other cyclists passing by and then suddenly slowing down or stopping causing me to veer into traffic to avoid them, and your right, it IS annoying.

Instead of going flat out, as fast as you can but then having to stop, why not just go at a steady pace that you can maintain?

Dogs are a big problem in Kentucky, Virginia, and NC especially riding at night because there are no apparent leash laws but more importantly, it seems people have 3-4 dogs and they come at you as a pack. At night it is not clear where they all are even with eyes open. In my view, dogs like this taking a rider down are not an accident but rather negligence on the part of its/their owner(s).

"That was about the size....certainly 300+ class. I'm still seeing the antlers pass by me. It was quite a jolt of Adrenaline. Probably 650 pounds of bull elk. I see deer all the time and I know the roads and their patterns. I would not want to hit one of them but they would not kill me so I am not too scared. Hitting an elk rack at 45+ and it is (my) game over.

I did run over a Cape Cobra in Africa. Forgot that one."

When ever someone has a story like that to tell. I always say, "Be happy you are here to tell stories." Haha. I have desires to do a ship load of activities, but I don't want to see my life pass before my eyes when I'm still trying to make that life more interesting. I bet you had a good laugh after that. I would. Your game over, and they would of probably felt of felt a bee sting them. heh.

Wow! Did he die or just slither away with a possible injury?

Corzhens, well said. Will do. :)
kuroba and pwarbi, Why do they do that in the first place? Why sped in front if you're just going to go slower than the cyclists behind you?
pwarbi, I wasn't thinking a the time. I was automatically pedaling at that pace. I learned my lesson now.
Weatherby, There should be leash laws everywhere, but true all the same. Neglectful owners get on my flippin' nerves!:mad:

It was a fast downhill dirt road and when I glanced back, it was flipping around. I probably did not kill the snake but it would not make me feel bad if i did because they are so deadly. I was having a bit of lunch on an Australian bike tour when I encountered a Black Snake no more than 10 feet from me. Got my attention. Jumped on my bike and got outta Dodge.

It is better than it whipping around and striking your leg. Haha. I'm guessing that wasn't a harmless garden snake in Dodge.

erat-ag400.gif

I am not really afraid of snakes. I hate yellow jackets. They get down your jersey and sting you a million zillion times before you can take care of them but this issue is more like something hitting you instead of you hitting them. These yellow jacket encounters happen couple times a year to me but I ride a lot.

Tiny bees? Bees don't usually harm people unless you, say, throw a rock at them. I tried to when I was little; I ended up smashing a window. Haha. I see why people fear bees though. Especially, African Wild Bees. They're all poisonous. I guess, the yellow jackets where you're located at are more vicious.

Here in the UK we only really only have cats and dogs to worry about, maybe the odd sheep or cow if your cycling in the countryside but that's about it.

The snakes and bears and whatever else as been mentioned your welcome to aswell! I'd quit cycling altogether if I had to look out for those kinds of animals hanging around, ready to chase down any unsuspecting cyclists!

I laughed when I seen a livestock crossing sign on my DMV practice test. Now I know it's a reality. I seen someone hit a in an image too. They weren't on a bike though.

For a second there, I thought you really had to deal with that. lol. I would quit after seeing a cub. Where a cub is, the mother bear is sure to follow. I forgot do survivalists tell you to play dead or hide when faced with a bear attack?