hmmm...Duct Tape

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Joshua Goldberg, Mar 13, 2003.

  1. Now being a Canadian I just wanted to share my excitement at the release today of CLEAR Duct tape.
    Okay this isn't exactly up there with Iraq disposing of missiles or Lorenzo L. Love getting thankyou
    letters from all of Bacchetta's rivals, or that girl being found alive in Utah...but up here in
    Canada....Clear Duct tape was one of the top news story. Duct tape is like a rite of passage for
    Canadian males, you have truly become an adult when you begin to use Duct Tape (to repair)
    everything you thought you really knew how to fix, but were apparently grossly mistaken...DOH!

    Tags:

  2. Duct tape is old hat, Joshua. According to the Varna gang, hockey tape is the coming thing, and is
    proven to work at over 80 mph...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  3. Bg

    Bg Guest

    Who sells it? bill g

    Dave Larrington wrote:

    > Duct tape is old hat, Joshua. According to the Varna gang, hockey tape is the coming thing, and is
    > proven to work at over 80 mph...
    >
    > Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
    > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  4. Home Depot One use (bent related) is you can cover your bent in the tape...if you ride in winter and
    do not want to destroy your frame with the road salt or scratches via road sand. I met someone last
    fall with a TREK DF who wrapped tin foil around the entire frame, then added duct tape. The foil was
    to stop the tape glue removing the paint/decals when he removed the tape. His point was he wanted to
    keep the bike in perfect shape to improve the resale value...seemed a darn good idea for a bent too.
    "bg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Who sells it? bill g
    >
    > Dave Larrington wrote:
    >
    > > Duct tape is old hat, Joshua. According to the Varna gang, hockey tape
    is
    > > the coming thing, and is proven to work at over 80 mph...
    > >
    > > Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
    > > Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    > > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  5. Von

    Von Guest

    > Now being a Canadian I just wanted to share my excitement at the release today of CLEAR Duct tape.
    > Okay this isn't exactly up there with Iraq disposing of missiles or Lorenzo L. Love getting
    > thankyou letters from all of Bacchetta's rivals, or that girl being found alive in Utah...but up
    > here in Canada....Clear Duct tape was one of the top news story. Duct tape is like a rite of
    > passage for Canadian males, you have truly become an adult when you begin to use Duct Tape (to
    > repair) everything you thought you really knew how to fix, but were apparently grossly
    > mistaken...DOH!

    Well if we can't find you handsome, atleast we find you useful!!

  6. Hillel

    Hillel Guest

    > Home Depot One use (bent related) is you can cover your bent in the tape...if you
    ride
    > in winter and do not want to destroy your frame with the road salt or scratches via road sand. I
    > met someone last fall with a TREK DF who wrapped tin foil around the entire frame, then added duct
    > tape. The foil was to stop the tape glue removing the paint/decals when he removed the tape. His
    > point was he
    wanted
    > to keep the bike in perfect shape to improve the resale value...seemed a darn good idea for a
    > bent too.

    Seems easier to remove than Vaseline. Now we can all look like we are riding Red Green bikes. :)
    Just wait for the Red Green 'bent plans - use a couple discarded bikes, a lawn chair and duct tape.

    Well, if they don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

  7. Ben

    Ben New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Hey,

    Don't make fun of Red Green. I modified his plans to engineer a homemade Zambonie, but I used my standard bike instead of a K-car. I don't have an ice rink, but driving it around gets about as many looks as when I ride my bent.

    If they don't find you handsome, at least they'll notice you.

    Ben

  8. Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > Now being a Canadian I just wanted to share my excitement at the release today of CLEAR Duct tape.

    Bah! What's the point? I mean, *real* duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side,
    and it holds the Universe together!

  9. Jerry Rhodes

    Jerry Rhodes Guest

    > Duct tape is old hat, Joshua. According to the Varna gang, hockey tape is the coming thing, and is
    > proven to work at over 80 mph...
    >
    > Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/

    Dave,

    Duct tape or hockey tape may be OK for the hoi-poloi but for us intellectuals the only thing worth
    considering is book binding tape.

    Jerry (perpetual student) Rhodes

  10. Hillel

    Hillel Guest

    "Joao de Souza" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > > Now being a Canadian I just wanted to share my excitement at the release today of CLEAR
    > > Duct tape.
    >
    > Bah! What's the point? I mean, *real* duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark
    > side, and it holds the Universe together!

    Clear duct tape is for the followers of the White Current. (See SW "Black Fleet Crisis" trilogy.)

  11. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    We'll call you Joshua "RED" Goldberg and your sidekick can be Tom "HAROLD" Sherman.

    The "other" Ben, Fox

    "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hillel wrote:
    > > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    [email protected]:[email protected]

  12. Jerry Rhodes wrote:

    > "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Duct tape is old hat, Joshua. According to the Varna gang, hockey tape is the coming thing, and
    > > is proven to work at over 80 mph...
    > >
    > > Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
    >
    > Dave,
    >
    > Duct tape or hockey tape may be OK for the hoi-poloi but for us intellectuals the only thing worth
    > considering is book binding tape.
    >
    > Jerry (perpetual student) Rhodes

    Us ex-military types know that ordinance repair tape is the only way to go.

    Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

    "A people living under the perpetual menace of war and invasion is very easy to govern. It demands
    no social reforms. It does not haggle over expenditures on armaments and military equipment. It pays
    without discussion, it ruins itself, and that is an excellent thing for the syndicates of financiers
    and manufacturers for whom patriotic terrors are an abundant source of gain." Anatole France

  13. I had some problems at Newark airport about one year ago. Security people searched my hand
    luggage and stole my duct tape roll. Welcome to USA. I felt somewhat unsecure on the plane,
    knowing that there was no way to repair broken wings etc. Well, i hope the security guys did
    something useful with it.

  14. > > Duct tape or hockey tape may be OK for the hoi-poloi but for us intellectuals the only thing
    > > worth considering is book binding tape.
    > >
    > > Jerry (perpetual student) Rhodes
    >
    > Us ex-military types know that ordinance repair tape is the only way to go.
    >
    > Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

    when I was in the navy (submarines,) we used a special tape called TWO THOUSAND POUND TAPE. It
    looked like duct tape but it had adhesive qualities that allowed us to do emergency repairs on high
    pressure air lines with it. We literally bet our lives on it. of all the things that made it into my
    sea bag just before going on leave, I was never prescient enough to load it up with 2000 lb tape.
    ahhh, the folly of youth.

    rich

  15. A&B

    A&B Guest

    I meant Hockey tape, unless you're saying there is a Québécois isle at Home Bozo that I've somehow
    missed ;-) bill g

  16. Rich Westerman wrote:

    > > > Duct tape or hockey tape may be OK for the hoi-poloi but for us intellectuals the only thing
    > > > worth considering is book binding tape.
    > > >
    > > > Jerry (perpetual student) Rhodes
    > >
    > > Us ex-military types know that ordinance repair tape is the only way to go.
    > >
    > > Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
    >
    > when I was in the navy (submarines,) we used a special tape called TWO THOUSAND POUND TAPE. It
    > looked like duct tape but it had adhesive qualities that allowed us to do emergency repairs on
    > high pressure air lines with it. We literally bet our lives on it. of all the things that made it
    > into my sea bag just before going on leave, I was never prescient enough to load it up with 2000
    > lb tape. ahhh, the folly of youth.
    >
    > rich

    I think it's the same thing. Also called 100 mph tape. Looks like duct tape but thiner, more
    flexible, much stronger, sticks much better, resists UV and doesn't dry out. Used to only come in an
    attractive shade of olive drab, now available in black, camo, desert tan and more. The military uses
    it to fix everything from broken rifle stocks to cracked helicopter blades. During the last Iraq war
    it was commonly used as handcuffs for the unexpected number of POWs. I hope they have lots of it
    over there now. You can get it from many mail order military surplus dealers or from
    www.sciplus.com.

    Carpe Ductum

  17. Brian Martin

    Brian Martin Guest

    They sold to some Canadian with red flannel shirt on. :)

    Here are some photos of the March 17th parade in Ottawa, the home of HPVOoO (human powered vehicle
    operators of Ottawa). http://tricolour.net/photos/2003/03/15/
    http://vic.dyndns.org/pics/2003-03-15/index-simple.html

    Brian

    Markku Poysti wrote:
    > I had some problems at Newark airport about one year ago. Security people searched my hand luggage
    > and stole my duct tape roll. Welcome to USA. I felt somewhat unsecure on the plane, knowing that
    > there was no way to repair broken wings etc. Well, i hope the security guys did something useful
    > with it.

  18. being that today is before March 16...are these pics from last year?
    "Brian Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > They sold to some Canadian with red flannel shirt on. :)
    >
    > Here are some photos of the March 17th parade in Ottawa, the home of HPVOoO (human powered vehicle
    > operators of Ottawa). http://tricolour.net/photos/2003/03/15/
    > http://vic.dyndns.org/pics/2003-03-15/index-simple.html
    >

    > Brian
    >
    > Markku Poysti wrote:
    > > I had some problems at Newark airport about one year ago. Security
    people
    > > searched my hand luggage and stole my duct tape roll. Welcome to USA. I felt somewhat unsecure
    > > on the plane, knowing that there was no way to repair broken wings etc. Well, i hope the
    > > security guys did something useful with it.

  19. Brian Martin

    Brian Martin Guest

    Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > being that today is before March 16...are these pics from last year?

    No you silly Toronto guy, this is Ottawa (you know the captial of the country run by King Jean). As
    all holidays and important days from history go, we celebrate them at the week-end which is closer.
    Now for the Victoria day (long week-end), it has not been on the queen's grandmother's birthday for
    as long as I can remember. So the pictures were from this years parade.

    Brian