hmmm...Duct Tape

Joshua Goldberg

Guest
Now being a Canadian I just wanted to share my excitement at the release today of CLEAR Duct tape.
Okay this isn't exactly up there with Iraq disposing of missiles or Lorenzo L. Love getting thankyou
letters from all of Bacchetta's rivals, or that girl being found alive in Utah...but up here in
Canada....Clear Duct tape was one of the top news story. Duct tape is like a rite of passage for
Canadian males, you have truly become an adult when you begin to use Duct Tape (to repair)
everything you thought you really knew how to fix, but were apparently grossly mistaken...DOH!

Duct tape is old hat, Joshua. According to the Varna gang, hockey tape is the coming thing, and is
proven to work at over 80 mph...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Who sells it? bill g

Dave Larrington wrote:

> Duct tape is old hat, Joshua. According to the Varna gang, hockey tape is the coming thing, and is
> proven to work at over 80 mph...
>
> Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
> http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Home Depot One use (bent related) is you can cover your bent in the tape...if you ride in winter and
do not want to destroy your frame with the road salt or scratches via road sand. I met someone last
fall with a TREK DF who wrapped tin foil around the entire frame, then added duct tape. The foil was
to stop the tape glue removing the paint/decals when he removed the tape. His point was he wanted to
keep the bike in perfect shape to improve the resale value...seemed a darn good idea for a bent too.
"bg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Who sells it? bill g
>
> Dave Larrington wrote:
>
> > Duct tape is old hat, Joshua. According to the Varna gang, hockey tape
is
> > the coming thing, and is proven to work at over 80 mph...
> >
> > Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
> > Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
> > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

news:<[email protected]>...
> Now being a Canadian I just wanted to share my excitement at the release today of CLEAR Duct tape.
> Okay this isn't exactly up there with Iraq disposing of missiles or Lorenzo L. Love getting
> thankyou letters from all of Bacchetta's rivals, or that girl being found alive in Utah...but up
> here in Canada....Clear Duct tape was one of the top news story. Duct tape is like a rite of
> passage for Canadian males, you have truly become an adult when you begin to use Duct Tape (to
> repair) everything you thought you really knew how to fix, but were apparently grossly
> mistaken...DOH!

Well if we can't find you handsome, atleast we find you useful!!

> Home Depot One use (bent related) is you can cover your bent in the tape...if you
ride
> in winter and do not want to destroy your frame with the road salt or scratches via road sand. I
> met someone last fall with a TREK DF who wrapped tin foil around the entire frame, then added duct
> tape. The foil was to stop the tape glue removing the paint/decals when he removed the tape. His
> point was he
wanted
> to keep the bike in perfect shape to improve the resale value...seemed a darn good idea for a
> bent too.

Seems easier to remove than Vaseline. Now we can all look like we are riding Red Green bikes. :)
Just wait for the Red Green 'bent plans - use a couple discarded bikes, a lawn chair and duct tape.

Well, if they don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Hey,

Don't make fun of Red Green. I modified his plans to engineer a homemade Zambonie, but I used my standard bike instead of a K-car. I don't have an ice rink, but driving it around gets about as many looks as when I ride my bent.

If they don't find you handsome, at least they'll notice you.

Ben

Originally posted by Hillel

Joshua Goldberg wrote:
> Now being a Canadian I just wanted to share my excitement at the release today of CLEAR Duct tape.

Bah! What's the point? I mean, *real* duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side,
and it holds the Universe together!

news:<[email protected]>...
> Duct tape is old hat, Joshua. According to the Varna gang, hockey tape is the coming thing, and is
> proven to work at over 80 mph...
>
> Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/

Dave,

Duct tape or hockey tape may be OK for the hoi-poloi but for us intellectuals the only thing worth
considering is book binding tape.

Jerry (perpetual student) Rhodes

"Joao de Souza" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Joshua Goldberg wrote:
> > Now being a Canadian I just wanted to share my excitement at the release today of CLEAR
> > Duct tape.
>
> Bah! What's the point? I mean, *real* duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark
> side, and it holds the Universe together!

Clear duct tape is for the followers of the White Current. (See SW "Black Fleet Crisis" trilogy.)

We'll call you Joshua "RED" Goldberg and your sidekick can be Tom "HAROLD" Sherman.

The "other" Ben, Fox

[email protected]:Otjca.1647$wg5.301720@news20-

Jerry Rhodes wrote:

> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Duct tape is old hat, Joshua. According to the Varna gang, hockey tape is the coming thing, and
> > is proven to work at over 80 mph...
> >
> > Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
>
> Dave,
>
> Duct tape or hockey tape may be OK for the hoi-poloi but for us intellectuals the only thing worth
> considering is book binding tape.
>
> Jerry (perpetual student) Rhodes

Us ex-military types know that ordinance repair tape is the only way to go.

Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"A people living under the perpetual menace of war and invasion is very easy to govern. It demands
no social reforms. It does not haggle over expenditures on armaments and military equipment. It pays
without discussion, it ruins itself, and that is an excellent thing for the syndicates of financiers
and manufacturers for whom patriotic terrors are an abundant source of gain." Anatole France

I had some problems at Newark airport about one year ago. Security people searched my hand
luggage and stole my duct tape roll. Welcome to USA. I felt somewhat unsecure on the plane,
knowing that there was no way to repair broken wings etc. Well, i hope the security guys did
something useful with it.

> > Duct tape or hockey tape may be OK for the hoi-poloi but for us intellectuals the only thing
> > worth considering is book binding tape.
> >
> > Jerry (perpetual student) Rhodes
>
> Us ex-military types know that ordinance repair tape is the only way to go.
>
> Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

when I was in the navy (submarines,) we used a special tape called TWO THOUSAND POUND TAPE. It
looked like duct tape but it had adhesive qualities that allowed us to do emergency repairs on high
pressure air lines with it. We literally bet our lives on it. of all the things that made it into my
sea bag just before going on leave, I was never prescient enough to load it up with 2000 lb tape.
ahhh, the folly of youth.

rich

I meant Hockey tape, unless you're saying there is a Québécois isle at Home Bozo that I've somehow
missed ;-) bill g

Rich Westerman wrote:

> > > Duct tape or hockey tape may be OK for the hoi-poloi but for us intellectuals the only thing
> > > worth considering is book binding tape.
> > >
> > > Jerry (perpetual student) Rhodes
> >
> > Us ex-military types know that ordinance repair tape is the only way to go.
> >
> > Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
>
> when I was in the navy (submarines,) we used a special tape called TWO THOUSAND POUND TAPE. It
> looked like duct tape but it had adhesive qualities that allowed us to do emergency repairs on
> high pressure air lines with it. We literally bet our lives on it. of all the things that made it
> into my sea bag just before going on leave, I was never prescient enough to load it up with 2000
> lb tape. ahhh, the folly of youth.
>
> rich

I think it's the same thing. Also called 100 mph tape. Looks like duct tape but thiner, more
flexible, much stronger, sticks much better, resists UV and doesn't dry out. Used to only come in an
attractive shade of olive drab, now available in black, camo, desert tan and more. The military uses
it to fix everything from broken rifle stocks to cracked helicopter blades. During the last Iraq war
it was commonly used as handcuffs for the unexpected number of POWs. I hope they have lots of it
over there now. You can get it from many mail order military surplus dealers or from
www.sciplus.com.

Carpe Ductum

They sold to some Canadian with red flannel shirt on. :)

Here are some photos of the March 17th parade in Ottawa, the home of HPVOoO (human powered vehicle
operators of Ottawa). http://tricolour.net/photos/2003/03/15/
http://vic.dyndns.org/pics/2003-03-15/index-simple.html

Brian

Markku Poysti wrote:
> I had some problems at Newark airport about one year ago. Security people searched my hand luggage
> and stole my duct tape roll. Welcome to USA. I felt somewhat unsecure on the plane, knowing that
> there was no way to repair broken wings etc. Well, i hope the security guys did something useful
> with it.

being that today is before March 16...are these pics from last year?
news:[email protected]...

Joshua Goldberg wrote:
> being that today is before March 16...are these pics from last year?

No you silly Toronto guy, this is Ottawa (you know the captial of the country run by King Jean). As
all holidays and important days from history go, we celebrate them at the week-end which is closer.
Now for the Victoria day (long week-end), it has not been on the queen's grandmother's birthday for
as long as I can remember. So the pictures were from this years parade.

Brian