Hmmm, more snow!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Terry, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Right that's it, I'm off to buy a winter bike tomorrow, not messing the good one up anymore!

    Tags:

  2. Pdannyd

    Pdannyd Guest

    "Terry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Right that's it, I'm off to buy a winter bike tomorrow, not messing the
    good
    > one up anymore!

    Oi! Where's my snow? I luuuurv snow and the entire country seems to be thigh-deep in the stuff
    except for here. Just aint fair! In fact, I'm so miffed I think I'll shout at somebody for cycling
    with a flashing rear LED light rather then having it on steady mode.

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 20:16:08 +0000 (UTC), "Terry" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Right that's it, I'm off to buy a winter bike tomorrow, not messing the good one up anymore!

    That could only be http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  4. Bob Flemming

    Bob Flemming Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:34:09 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 20:16:08 +0000 (UTC), "Terry" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Right that's it, I'm off to buy a winter bike tomorrow, not messing the good one up anymore!
    >
    >That could only be http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/

    Couple of things just come to mind <as if they're going to be orginal...could google, but can't be
    bothered right now!>. What about cornering on a trike, especially at speed, bit dodgy, with not
    being able to 'lean intonthe corner'? And also, the extra width with the double wheel set-up,
    isn't this problematic with holding up traffic? (And don't say, 'I have no problem holding up
    traffic?' :)

    bob

    >Guy
    >===
    >** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    >dynamic DNS permitting)
    >NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    > work. Apologies.

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:41:14 +0000, Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Couple of things just come to mind <as if they're going to be orginal...could google, but can't be
    >bothered right now!>. What about cornering on a trike, especially at speed, bit dodgy, with not
    >being able to 'lean intonthe corner'? And also, the extra width with the double wheel set-up,
    >isn't this problematic with holding up traffic? (And don't say, 'I have no problem holding up
    >traffic?' :)

    I don't know, of course as I have the two-wheeled variety, but I have it on good authority that
    cornering is a non-issue (except you can go even faster) and a trike ain't much wider than the
    shoulders of the rider, and who's going to overtake that close?

    Anyway, the "traffic" was holding /me/ up this morning.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  6. I don't have a problem with holding up the traffic.

    I AM THE TRAFFIC.

    --
    The Last Resort... ......the bottom of the barrel

  7. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of "PDannyD"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Oi! Where's my snow?

    You here in the warm[1], sunny southwest, too?

    [1] during daylight today; bit cooler now.

    --
    Wear your paunch with pride!

  8. Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:34:09 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 20:16:08 +0000 (UTC), "Terry" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Right that's it, I'm off to buy a winter bike tomorrow, not messing the
    good
    > >>one up anymore!
    > >
    > >That could only be http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/
    > >

    > Couple of things just come to mind <as if they're going to be orginal...could google, but can't be
    > bothered right now!>. What about cornering on a trike, especially at speed, bit dodgy, with not
    > being able to 'lean intonthe corner'? And also, the extra width with the double wheel set-up,
    > isn't this problematic with holding up traffic? (And don't say, 'I have no problem holding up
    > traffic?' :)

    There's some pics in C+ this month showing tandem trikes racing. They use a similar method to side
    car racers.

    > bob
    >
    > >Guy
    > >===
    > >** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL
    > >and dynamic DNS permitting)
    > >NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    > > work. Apologies.

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Just meeeeeee. wrote:
    > I don't have a problem with holding up the traffic. I AM THE TRAFFIC.

    Which is why I put "traffic" in quotes :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  10. Andy Welch

    Andy Welch Guest

    Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Couple of things just come to mind <as if they're going to be orginal...could google, but can't be
    > bothered right now!>. What about cornering on a trike, especially at speed, bit dodgy, with not
    > being able to 'lean intonthe corner'?

    Cornering on a trike (at least the recumbent variety) is one of the great pleasures of the things.
    You still lean into the corner but it's you that leans while the trike keeps three wheels on the
    ground (think old fashioned racing cars with the drivers haning out on the bends).

    > And also, the extra width with the double wheel set-up, isn't this problematic with holding up
    > traffic? (And don't say, 'I have no problem holding up traffic?' :)

    My Windcheetah has a total width of 71cm. There are plenty of MTBs with handlebars close to 60cm and
    if you put a couple of panniers on a tourer you'll most likely be in the 70cm range. Add to this the
    fact that you don't wobble on a trike [1] and the space that you need on the road is no moe than
    anybody else. I certainly don't get any more grief on the roads on the trike than I do on the
    upright. Less in fact because most drivers are just curous to find out what you are. It's also a lot
    les worrying when you do get the idiots who pass too close, since you feel totally stable.

    Cheers,

    Andy

    [1] Look at your front tyre track and you will see that your front end is weaving from side to side
    as you ride (that's how you balance) so the evelope that you sit is is wider than your bike.

    You could get a leaning trike: http://www.tripendo.com/EDEFAULT.htm
    http://www.maxmatic.com/ttw_hpv.htm