Hmmm shouldnt there be four?

trek-man

New Member
Apr 10, 2005
G'day all
Technical question.
I bought a second hand pair of Time shoes to dangle my toes in the world of clipless pedals. Now theyre the 4 slot system but one of the little receiving thread thingys inside the shoe sole is missing presummed broken off. This means the cleat will only attach with three screws instead of four. Is this
A) something that is fixable
B) something that will result in a spectacular death if i ride with them
C) fine for a knock around pair of training shoes
Your thoughts and advice greatly appreciated :D

"trek-man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> G'day all
> Technical question.
> I bought a second hand pair of Time shoes to dangle my toes in the
> world of clipless pedals. Now theyre the 4 slot system but one of the
> little receiving thread thingys inside the shoe sole is missing
> presummed broken off. This means the cleat will only attach with three
> screws instead of four. Is this
> A) something that is fixable
> B) something that will result in a spectacular death if i ride with
> them
> C) fine for a knock around pair of training shoes
> Your thoughts and advice greatly appreciated :D
>

> --
> trek-man

I'm assuming that you're also using the older style equipe/equipe pro Time
pedals?

A) I don't believe that it is fixable. You'd need to take the shoe apart in
order to replace the internal sliding cleat attachment. I'm pretty sure that
you wouldn't be able to source a replacement internal piece, unless you take
apart another pair of second hand time shoes.

B) I wouldn't think so. The most spectacular thing you should expect to
happen is suddenly pulling your foot out of the pedal.

C) That's what I'm using my old Times for, a second/wet weather pair.

I have the exact same issue with my second pair of Time shoes, the cleat
system only attaches to three points rather than four. The only issue I've
encountered so far is the cleats slowly moving towards the toe of the shoe
which means occasionally I need to adjust them back towards the heel of the
shoe (does that make sense?). As you bought this pair second hand because
you want to try out clipless pedals, I say ride with them until they fail,
then if you're happy with the clipless pedal concept buy a new pair.

Happy cycling.

trek-man said:
G'day all
Technical question.
I bought a second hand pair of Time shoes to dangle my toes in the world of clipless pedals. Now theyre the 4 slot system but one of the little receiving thread thingys inside the shoe sole is missing presummed broken off. This means the cleat will only attach with three screws instead of four. Is this
A) something that is fixable
B) something that will result in a spectacular death if i ride with them
C) fine for a knock around pair of training shoes
Your thoughts and advice greatly appreciated :D

can you post a photo (closeup) of the hole with the missing doo-dat?

I had the same issue on my ol' look shoes and was able to get hold of a replacement. The LBS looked puzzled and said they werent fixable but when i mentioned "So, how did they get em in, in the first place?" got him thinkin and he rang man, who told him about spare part ($5) and how to get it in
(actually quite simple. was a screw/plate arrangement that was narrow in one direction thus you could slide in, turn and then wouldnt pull out)

Two exceptionally good answers. I'll try shooting an e-mail of to TIme and see what they say. Ive yet to track down a set of pedals and cleats to try them out on. Ive really got to stay away from e-bay. Thank you for your shared wisdom, i just had nightmares after seeing what happened to Tams shoe. Walking home isnt fun ever but less so with buggered shoes i imagine.

cheers
Mick

"trek-man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> G'day all
> Technical question.
> I bought a second hand pair of Time shoes to dangle my toes in the
> world of clipless pedals. Now theyre the 4 slot system but one of the
> little receiving thread thingys inside the shoe sole is missing
> presummed broken off. This means the cleat will only attach with three
> screws instead of four. Is this
> A) something that is fixable
> B) something that will result in a spectacular death if i ride with
> them

I have had a loose cleat screw before, which resulted in a loose cleat
(obviously). This would be your major risk. The problem was that I could not
release because the cleat would move around in the shoe as I tugged - end
result = falling over when I came to a stop. No problems when riding though.
More embarrassment than death!