Hmmmm....

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Hold My Beer An, May 4, 2003.

  1. American rider moves to team coached by 'Mr. 60%,' changes his training program per his new coach's
    instruction, then wins two major races in a week.

    Tags:

  2. And this coming from a guy named 'hold my beer and watch this....'

    your a rocket scientist.

    "hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > American rider moves to team coached by 'Mr. 60%,' changes his training program per his new
    > coach's instruction, then wins two major races in a week.

  3. "hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > American rider moves to team coached by 'Mr. 60%,' changes his training program per his new
    > coach's instruction, then wins two major races in a week.

    He won the Dauphine Libere before being coached by Mr. 60%.

    It included a stage that finished up Mt. Ventoux and another mountainous stage ending at Briancon.

  4. when did he test at 60%?

  5. On Mon. d. 05 May. 2003 kl. 12:24 GMT, Qui wrote:

    > when did he test at 60%?

    never... the Mr. 60% label has a (true) story:

    In the 1996 TDF the entire Festina team was highly doped with EPO and they tested _very_ high in
    intaernal hematocrit test. Since Riis rode fatser than the Festina riders /they/ joked about it and
    _assumed_ that Riis's hematocrit values had to be at least 60%. Their theory was that the only way
    anyone could outride them, was if they had hcrt. values above their own (=above 60%) - Riis was the
    only one to outride them, therefore they labeld him Mr. 60%.

    I'm not saying that Riis wasen't on EPO, i think that there's a valid reason to asume that more than
    90% of the peloton was on EPO in those years, that includes riders like Indurain, Rominger, Züelle,
    Bugno, Chiapuchi, Ugromov, Jalabert, Pantani /and/ Armstorng <don't shoot me!>.(we allready do know
    that the Festina team was on EPO).

    However everyone seems to forget that Riis (and swiss Pascal Richard) was among the initiators
    behind the introduction of the hematocrit tests in 1997. A test wich most of the pro-riders didn't
    want, the initiators wanted the test - not to prevent the use of EPO, they assumed that that battle
    couldn't be won without a pullet-prof EPO test, but in order to make shure that noone died or got
    serously ill from their EPO useage. Their intention of the hematocrit test, was that it would
    _force_ the riders and teams to be monitored by doctors and prevent fatal accidents from EPO.

    Later on, in 1998, a dansih journalist (Olav Skåning Andersen, OSA) publiciced a series of articles
    and hidden camra recordings he made when he held a job as a soigneur at Gewiss-Ballan (in either 94
    or 95), where he worked undercover in order to find out if doping in professional cycling was
    orginaized by the teams or by individual riders. His documentation states that the Gewis-Ballan
    riders was using EPO and that they where closely controled and monitored by the Teams official
    doctor (Ferrari). OSA found transcripts containg the hematrocrit values of the Teams Giro squard
    from thier preperations prior to the Giro. Ugromov, i think, had a value above 57% as the highest
    (by a large margin). The transcript contained names like Berzin, Furlan, Goti, Chengialta, Riis and
    others. All of them had periodicly values above 50% but execpt Berzin none of them where near the
    57% of Ugromov.

    So far we only have insight from 1,5 pro-teams + a series of cases against Italian sports doctors.
    The fact is that we only have documentation from what went on in _two_ teams, and both of them shows
    that they did use systematic doping.

    Festina due to the documentation in the Villy Voet trail. Gewis-ballan, partially from the
    documentation provided by OSA.

    Since we don't have _any_ documented inside information from other teams there is no reason to
    belive that they had a different approch to the use of doping. In fact the ongoing cases in Italy
    indicates that almost all riders did use EPO in a more or less sytematic way - either orginized or
    with the blessing of their teams.

    --
    Venlig hilsen Morten Reippuert Knudsen...

    Besides, if you can't get a decent kernal panic <icq://131382336> or two in a month, what's the
    point of living? <aim://reippuert

  6. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    good point, it does need more facts to back it up though. but it does make on suspicious. I would
    lean more toward he allergy medication than epo though. he has had allergy problems his entire life
    and never figured them out. maybe now he has found a medication to neutralize them and keep the body
    from tiring this time of year. this would be my guess of his recent success. hell, just call him and
    ask, he will tell ya.

    "hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > American rider moves to team coached by 'Mr. 60%,' changes his training program per his new
    > coach's instruction, then wins two major races in a week.

  7. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, JTN <[email protected]> wrote:

    > good point, it does need more facts to back it up though. but it does make on suspicious. I would
    > lean more toward he allergy medication than epo though. he has had allergy problems his entire
    > life and never figured them out. maybe now he has found a medication to neutralize them and keep
    > the body from tiring this time of year. this would be my guess of his recent success. hell, just
    > call him and ask, he will tell ya.
    >

    > "hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > American rider moves to team coached by 'Mr. 60%,' changes his training program per his new
    > > coach's instruction, then wins two major races in a week.

    Tyler has lost weight in his upper body which would help him climb.

    The tour of Romandie is not a huge race. Look at who he beat (top 5) and who wasn't racing. The guy
    is fit so why shouldn't he win both races. PVP did two good rides in 3 days. It is possible.

    -WG