hobbies/obsessions other than biking

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Darjevon, Apr 8, 2005.

1. PMThor

PMThor New Member

Hey all,
    I run whenever I don't feel like riding. I off road with my Jeep. I love college basketball a lot. Holy crap. That is pretty much it. I gotta get a life.

2. seigneur

seigneur New Member

play guitar, winsurf, ballroom dancing (yea really), photography. performing poet

3. brainstormm666

brainstormm666 New Member

i hack satellite for a hobby http://www.satdudez-forumz.com/?

have a 1 meter dish motorised can receve about 3000 channels including sports feeds

also repair and upgrade computers in my spare time.:)

4. Nein11

Nein11 New Member

Well...during the winter I ride my snowboard as a member of the ski patrol on the local mountain. During the spring and fall I fish for salmon and steelhead in the Snake and Columbia river and their various feeder rivers. During the summer I cycle. And year round I play acoustic guitar, I should be getting my custom made Paragon six string grand orchestra model within a matter of days and cant wait to play it!

5. Tommy66

Tommy66 New Member

Actually David, you're in the right neighborhood. The Uwharries in the Piedmont area of NC (east of Charlotte) are so old, they aren't even mountains anymore! Very nice area for riding and hiking, if you ever get the chance. http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/momo/do.html

My interests, other than my newly revived cycling bug, are my kids (4 and 6 year old boys), smoking cigars (not while riding, though), golf, and freshwater fishing (bass, mostly, since the nearest trout stream is at the far end of NC from me).

6. djwright4341

djwright4341 New Member

Great thread! My other hobbies are homebrew, aviation (R/C and full size), reading, and fishing. And reading the forums, of course.:D

Oh, and gardening and woodworking (just got into these this summer).

7. garydogwood

garydogwood New Member

motorcycles, motorcycles, motorcycles. it's like riding a bike only faster (much faster).

gw

8. EoinC

EoinC New Member

Not much faster on my motorbikes - Royal Enfield Bullet (500 single), Yamaha TY250N Trials, 1968 Kawasaki B1L (in bits).

9. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

ha! i had 500 singles, three of them. yamaha sr 500's, two '79's and a '81.

10. EoinC

EoinC New Member

SR500's make a great basis for a caferacer, as do their TT / XT cousins. My Enfield Bullet is my daily ride whenever I get home (not often). I'm going to pull the barrel on it when I go to Aussie in a couple of weeks and I'll give the head a dremel polish while it's off. It's great to ride but, with the crappy weather down there at the moment, I might as well do some work on it. I've got a solo seat and pillion pad to fit while I've got it out of commission. It should also be getting a Goldstar exhaust and a new Amal with a bellmouth while I'm down there. The '68 Kwakka's going to have to wait a while before it gets any attention.

11. romana

romana New Member

besides loving distance rides and occasional mtb stuff, 5 glorious kids (4 girls, 19, nearly 13, 10, 4, and 2 yo boy), wonderful firefighter/rider/geek/woodworking husband, debian linux, http://itshare.org.au (a non profit that donates unwanted ocmputers to low income groups and individuals, and does overseas projects), crochet, sewing clothes, knitting, reading huge amounts, scifi, umm, and not often enough, sleep!!!

12. IEatRice4Dinner

IEatRice4Dinner New Member

i love working on my car, a fast little 1989 camaro....... i like drawing and art on the side, but time is limited... hell id play with legos if i had the time :) im also going to play with carbon fiber soon... maybe i can make some cool stuff

13. GIFF07

GIFF07 New Member

EoinC,

I currently own a 17' sea kayak, I currently do alot of fitness type stuff paddeling the larger rivers and bays in the central coastal NJ area, I am looking into getting a wildwater boat from Zasteria in the cezh republic http://www.zastera.cz/, with the idea that I may get into racing. I tried paddeling my friends olympic sprint boat, and was swimming more than paddeling. I am having almost as much fun kayaking as I am biking.

14. EoinC

EoinC New Member

I hear what you are saying about the sprint kayak. I tried one before learing how to even brace. It's like paddling on a knife. When I return to Australia later this year, I plan to build a strip plank Guillemot from Western Red Cedar & Paulownia
    www.guillemot-kayaks.com/gallery/Peter-Wortman/PeterWortman2
    for use down in Perth. I like my Gumotex / Innova as I can take it with me as I Country-hop, but it is hard work covering long distances or if the winds are high. It works very well in fairly big seas, though. Last weekend I had it out in a strong onshore with seas at 3-6'. I did spend a lot of time swimming, but in the warm waters here, that isn't a problem.
    You are right, kayaking is as much fun as cycling.

15. LindaNo1

LindaNo1 New Member

I love playing the guitar. I have an electric one and an acoustic one. I am not brilliant by any means! A long way to go in that respect.

I also love going to gigs. Just been to see REM and then Coldplay. Fantabulous!

Oh - buying music and reading are high on my list too ...

16. Hoya1500

Hoya1500 New Member

Other than biking? I can come up with only three.

Photography, music, and automotives are my other obsessions. Before i got my Trek 1500, I had been debating whether or not to get a DSLR instead, but figured having such a high-end camera would put too much of a dent in my wallet, especially for a college kid. I enjoy all kinds of music. No matter what genre, i'll always appreciate the artists' hard work and creative talent. And when it comes to automotives, i was brought up knowing how to change oil, brakes, calipers, etc and it just snowballed. I don't know everything about all cars, but i sure would like to.

17. Brewcycle

Brewcycle New Member

Brewing beer-- was a commercial brewer for a while, then moved into equipment/ systems design for breweries. Now, I homebrew about 4 times a year. Just recently brewed a Rauchbier (smoked), and have done american pale ales, ESB, IPA, Weiss, Schwarzbier, Porters, Stouts. Next one will be an Abbey style ale, and after that a wild-yeast beer.

I'm also into snowboarding, snowshoeing, golf, downhill skateboarding, canoeing, backpacking and fly-fishing. Oh and a little gaming (Halo2). I have too many hobbies! :D

18. EX2

EX2 New Member

Im going on a sea kayak holiday in scotland next month any tips?

19. EoinC

EoinC New Member

Yep....enjoy yourself!!! You'll love it.

20. Darjevon

Darjevon New Member

stealing music is even more fun... :)