hobbies/obsessions other than biking

I like Saltwater reef aquariums (180-gal starfire glass reef tank), but had to take it down since I move every 2-3 years. It will go back up when I stop moving.

Also like computer games. I am helping develop a module for Neverwinter Nights2 (www.galdor.net). I just got an Alienware Area 51 (with the works) for some serious gaming, at least until the wife kicks me off to do her DVD movie editing. :rolleyes:

I shoot, guns and archery, collect reptiles and venomous inverts as well as exotic fish. I hike, fish, and now bike a bit, lol I also play warhammer when it's nasty out and am into boxing and MMA.

building a model railway for the really wet days,otherwise lots of bushwalking

Darjevon said:
Just wondering guys. what are your obsessions? (other than biking of course) I personally snowboard and fly parafoil kites, and fling the occasional dog turd :D.
Only thing that comes close today is fly-fishing and running the 4 kids around for me. Used to enjoy and be addicted to sailing, hiking, canoeing, technical climbing, motorcycle riding, karate, skiing, cabinet building and brewing beer (was a Certified Beer Judge and owned a Homebrew shop too), but not necessarily all at the same time. Then I got married and began procreating - which is fun in itself ;) , and have just now gotten back to riding a bike -- which I can do with my wife and one or two of the kids. Easy to buy good beer now (not that I ever drink that much though) but still have a whole attic full of beer brewing stuff; too old,fat and out of shape to technical climb, had to sell both the sailboat and the motorcycle to buy our first house. No time for karate anymore although my son takes TaeKwonDo. We still canoe and kayak when we go camping with the fambly, and I fly-fish almost when ever I can get away, and my especially if one of the kids will go, my 9 year old son has a mean roll-cast. I also build all my own fly-rods. I told my wife when I turn 50 I was going to buy a Harley and a big boat. We'll see :D

Geo

Hi,

I love doing web design, and bulding / flying radio controlled helicopters too!.

ok, i play on the www, i read books, and i ride...OH YEAH! i'm a dad, so i don't have a lot of hobby time. my daughter & nephew are my other obsessions....

watercooled Volkswagens, mostly mk1 or mk2 Golfs/Rabbits/Jettas, the occasional Corrado, Vanagon, Scirocco will sneak in there as well.

Currently building a 1984 Rabbit GTI (first-generation Golf for those not in the US), stripped to nothing but the basics, w/ a built 2.0 ABA motor w/ a T3 super 60 turbo and Megasquirt engine management, o2a transmission w/ Peloquin LSD, hopefully around 1900lbs when built, with about 250whp (290ish at the crank).

Other than that, computers, playing on the internet, a few video games, hitting the gym, and going on road trips as often as possible (driving, not cycling).

mynameisphunk said:
watercooled Volkswagens, mostly mk1 or mk2 Golfs/Rabbits/Jettas, the occasional Corrado, Vanagon, Scirocco will sneak in there as well.

Currently building a 1984 Rabbit GTI (first-generation Golf for those not in the US), stripped to nothing but the basics, w/ a built 2.0 ABA motor w/ a T3 super 60 turbo and Megasquirt engine management, o2a transmission w/ Peloquin LSD, hopefully around 1900lbs when built, with about 250whp (290ish at the crank).

Other than that, computers, playing on the internet, a few video games, hitting the gym, and going on road trips as often as possible (driving, not cycling).

nice! love the early golfs! was watching an entertaining (possibly innaccurate) vid of a modded golf hit high speeds... and others pull some good numbers...

Dyno

Slow golf?

Have not heard of peloquin? Was into hondas more, golfs were the competition! :p

Let's see, picking up toys, wiping noses, changing diapers, saying no 10,000 times a day, breaking up skirmishes, this list could go on forever, and I love every minute of it. Biking is my only hobbie. Actually, I play the guitar but that goes on the list because I know mostly kids songs and play them for my children.

~MoDCoN~ said:
nice! love the early golfs! was watching an entertaining (possibly innaccurate) vid of a modded golf hit high speeds... and others pull some good numbers...

Dyno

Slow golf?

Have not heard of peloquin? Was into hondas more, golfs were the competition! :p
Peloquin/Quaife are the two main options for aftermarket differentials in VW's.

http://www.peloquins.com/

Both are about the same price, either brand has their fans, but both are very high quality stuff. The car should be a blast when finished!

I respect Hondas, but around here, most of them have massive wings, huge obnoxious exhausts, cut springs, terribly gawdy body kits, huge (and heavy) chrome wheels, etc.... I do respect the ones that are built with some sense of style! Excellent cars, nice and light, easy to do motor swaps on.

Here is my daily driver (non-VW), that I rack up a TON of miles on:

cimg3711800x600ll3.jpg
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8672/cimg3711800x600ll3.jpg

mynameisphunk said:
Peloquin/Quaife are the two main options for aftermarket differentials in VW's.

http://www.peloquins.com/

Both are about the same price, either brand has their fans, but both are very high quality stuff. The car should be a blast when finished!

I respect Hondas, but around here, most of them have massive wings, huge obnoxious exhausts, cut springs, terribly gawdy body kits, huge (and heavy) chrome wheels, etc.... I do respect the ones that are built with some sense of style! Excellent cars, nice and light, easy to do motor swaps on.

Here is my daily driver (non-VW), that I rack up a TON of miles on:

cimg3711800x600ll3.jpg
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8672/cimg3711800x600ll3.jpg

i know quaife, they use them in hondas too. yeah, too many honda's are a bit 'ricey' although that term seems a little un-PC. let us know how the build goes, im an avid fan of car builds, especially the older ones - my fave hondas are the ef civics. very nice! yeah, b and d series swaps particularly so (easy).

nice - that is a scion yeah? dont do them here in aus... room enough in the back for bikes? :D and car parts of course!

~MoDCoN~ said:
i know quaife, they use them in hondas too. yeah, too many honda's are a bit 'ricey' although that term seems a little un-PC. let us know how the build goes, im an avid fan of car builds, especially the older ones - my fave hondas are the ef civics. very nice! yeah, b and d series swaps particularly so (easy).

nice - that is a scion yeah? dont do them here in aus... room enough in the back for bikes? :D and car parts of course!
A pair of bikes WILL fit, but it's much easier to just throw them on a rack...I haven't dropped the $$$ on a proper roof rack yet, still using a hatch-mounted one, but the car has been great! Almost 100k miles in the 3 years we've had it, has been a blast to own, amazing amounts of room inside for the misc. hobbies I pursue, road trips w/ friends, etc...

Interesting to hear about the car scene over in Australia, sounds a lot like it is here.

mynameisphunk said:
A pair of bikes WILL fit, but it's much easier to just throw them on a rack...I haven't dropped the $$$ on a proper roof rack yet, still using a hatch-mounted one, but the car has been great! Almost 100k miles in the 3 years we've had it, has been a blast to own, amazing amounts of room inside for the misc. hobbies I pursue, road trips w/ friends, etc...

Interesting to hear about the car scene over in Australia, sounds a lot like it is here.

sounds like a good car! ppl say the same things about size with the older crx's- carrying fridges. or the new jazz/fits... i do like other cars btw, but have s soft spot for hondas.

lol at hijacking thread... but yeah the scene is a bit similar, although large parts of my know how are from america - the scene is definitely more mature there. here there are a lot of badly modded cars... and then a few very, very cleanly modded cars which look fantastic.

Same here, ATV's, Camping, Traveling, reading, and I like to take pictures.
king4wd said:
When not on the bike or on the job, I enjoy cooking and 4-wheeling and camping with the family.