Hockey - Great Winter Interval Training

Ausmith

Sep 14, 2005
Ice hockey to be specific. I've been playing hockey most of my life, and I always knew it to be a good interval workout. In preparation for next season I wanted to incorporate hockey as part of my training program. I really needed to know what type of interval workout I was looking at so I could use it effectively through the winter. Last night I straped on the Polar and recorded the whole game (recording interval set to 5s).

I've attached a picture of the data in linear graph form.

Basically the game is a series of 5 minute intervals with equal rest (we only skate 2 complete lines on our team). Average HR was 157, Max was 203. 19 total intervals in an 80 minute workout!

Ausmith said:
I've attached a picture of the data in linear graph form.
You guys may want to check the foundation of that rink - it seems to be sinking! :p

Seriously, though, good workout - I've never played ice hockey, but even the intra-dorm floor hockey games I used to play in college gave me a glimpse of how cardiovascularly challenging ice hockey must be.

Berend

squidwranglr said:
You guys may want to check the foundation of that rink - it seems to be sinking! :p

Seriously, though, good workout - I've never played ice hockey, but even the intra-dorm floor hockey games I used to play in college gave me a glimpse of how cardiovascularly challenging ice hockey must be.

Berend
I noticed the altitude dropping as well. My only explanation is that I was getting shorter as the game went on!

Ausmith said:
Basically the game is a series of 5 minute intervals with equal rest (we only skate 2 complete lines on our team).
5 minute shifts????

Tell the goal mongers to backcheck or change 'em up!!!!:D:D:D