Hodders: stick to biking, mate, it's safer!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Guy Chapman, May 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Chapman

Guy Chapman Guest

Tags:

2. >This is a Public Service Announcement for James Hodson :)
    >
    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/3042421.stm
    >

Funnily enough, it's on the local news & my first thought (before the full details were announced)
    was "I hope it's not James!"

Sad that someone has died.

helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
    Clean up the waste & get rid of the trapped wind to send a reply

Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
    ~~~~~~~~~~

3. James Hodson

James Hodson Guest

On 20 May 2003 13:00:24 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>>This is a Public Service Announcement for James Hodson :)
    >>
    >>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/3042421.stm
    >>
    >
    >Funnily enough, it's on the local news & my first thought (before the full details were announced)
    >was "I hope it's not James!"
    >

Not me, Guy & Helen. I fly proper kites, those that require brain rather than brawn. I fly two line
    stint kites.

I did see the article a while ago and, IMO, the flyer was simply overpowered.

James

--
    It's a CD-ROM drive, not a cup holder.

4. Dave Kahn

Dave Kahn Guest

5. James Hodson

James Hodson Guest

On 21 May 2003 02:53:25 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

>James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> I fly two line stint kites.
    >
    >Too mean to splash out for a good one then? :)

<G>

As I said, Dave, I prefer the "years of dedicated pactice" approach to the zen-like world of kiting.

I used to have a 10' Flexifoil but sold it a year or so ago to a Russell from this NG. I hope it
    wasn't Russell Pinder - can't recall. However, although I know none myself, I have heard that there
    are quite a few spinally injured kite flyers about the place.

Here's what I've just read in rec.kites
    >The wind in the UK has been a bit unsettled of late. If you look at the forecasts (or things like
    >web sites showing actual wind speeds) you'll see a very gusty pattern. Eg. Sunday here in Cardiff
    >(the same day as the accident) we had winds which varied widely. For a few minutes there would be
    >practically nothing, then you'd get a consistent 15-20 with even stronger gusts. The gusts on
    >Sunday in Stowmarket were recorded at up to 40mph. It takes a lot of skill and practice to fly a
    >10 feet wide power kite safely in consistent winds of that speed let alone the gusty conditions we
    >had Sunday.
    >
    >The person killed in this accident (Lee Charity) had, according to his family, a number of years of
    >power kite experience. One point to note is that police report he was using a harness on the day,
    >deliverately jumping and floating back down on a number of occasions. He got caught out by gusts
    >which lifted him an esitmated 30ft into the air instead of the usual few feet. No mention was made
    >in any of the reports I found of whether he was wearing saftey gear although his father was
    >reported as saying that Lee "knew that saftey was important".

James

--
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Dscf0632.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.