Hodders: stick to biking, mate, it's safer!

>This is a Public Service Announcement for James Hodson :)
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/3042421.stm

Funnily enough, it's on the local news & my first thought (before the full details were announced)
was "I hope it's not James!"

Sad that someone has died.

helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

On 20 May 2003 13:00:24 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>>This is a Public Service Announcement for James Hodson :)
>>
>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/3042421.stm
>>

>Funnily enough, it's on the local news & my first thought (before the full details were announced)
>was "I hope it's not James!"

Not me, Guy & Helen. I fly proper kites, those that require brain rather than brawn. I fly two line
stint kites.

I did see the article a while ago and, IMO, the flyer was simply overpowered.

James

--
It's a CD-ROM drive, not a cup holder.

On 21 May 2003 02:53:25 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

>James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> I fly two line stint kites.
>
>Too mean to splash out for a good one then? :)

<G>

As I said, Dave, I prefer the "years of dedicated pactice" approach to the zen-like world of kiting.

I used to have a 10' Flexifoil but sold it a year or so ago to a Russell from this NG. I hope it
wasn't Russell Pinder - can't recall. However, although I know none myself, I have heard that there
are quite a few spinally injured kite flyers about the place.

Here's what I've just read in rec.kites
>The wind in the UK has been a bit unsettled of late. If you look at the forecasts (or things like
>web sites showing actual wind speeds) you'll see a very gusty pattern. Eg. Sunday here in Cardiff
>(the same day as the accident) we had winds which varied widely. For a few minutes there would be
>practically nothing, then you'd get a consistent 15-20 with even stronger gusts. The gusts on
>Sunday in Stowmarket were recorded at up to 40mph. It takes a lot of skill and practice to fly a
>10 feet wide power kite safely in consistent winds of that speed let alone the gusty conditions we
>had Sunday.
>
>The person killed in this accident (Lee Charity) had, according to his family, a number of years of
>power kite experience. One point to note is that police report he was using a harness on the day,
>deliverately jumping and floating back down on a number of occasions. He got caught out by gusts
>which lifted him an esitmated 30ft into the air instead of the usual few feet. No mention was made
>in any of the reports I found of whether he was wearing saftey gear although his father was
>reported as saying that Lee "knew that saftey was important".

James