Holding hub when wrenching off cassette body??

daveornee

New Member
Sep 18, 2003
2,763
I need an effective and non-damaging way to hold a couple of older Shimano 7 speed hubs so that I can wrench off the cassette bodies.
The hubs are new old stock. I don't think I am dealing with a corrosion problem as the grease is perfectly clean and the hubs have never been used or stored in a corrosive environment.
I want to take off the cassette bodies to perform a swap of HG and UG bodies.
I have the required 10 mm Allen wrench, but I can't seem to find an effective way to hold the hub in the vice.
I am currently trying to hold the hub in the center with wooden pine blocks that are lined with inner tubes. The hub spins before I am able to apply sufficient torque to unscrew the retaining fastener.
Please share any effective methods.

daveornee wrote:
> I need an effective and non-damaging way to hold a couple
> of older Shimano 7 speed hubs so that I can wrench off the
> cassette bodies. The hubs are new old stock. I don't think
> I am dealing with a corrosion problem as the grease is
> perfectly clean and the hubs have never been used or
> stored in a corrosive environment. I want to take off the
> cassette bodies to perform a swap of HG and UG bodies. I
> have the required 10 mm Allen wrench, but I can't seem to
> find an effective way to hold the hub in the vice. I am
> currently trying to hold the hub in the center with wooden
> pine blocks that are lined with inner tubes. The hub spins
> before I am able to apply sufficient torque to unscrew the
> retaining fastener. Please share any effective methods.

I did the same swap last autumn and had no such problems.
The hub is built into a wheel and I simply held the wheel
with my left had and wellied the socket wrench with my
right. My hub was 14 years old at the time, had done
thousands of miles with only regular bearing maintenance.
Are you using a sockect wrench or a smaller allen key ? You
probably know this but it is a regular right handed thread
so turn anti clockwise to undo.

I must confess I was expecting the job to be much harder
than it was. My old body came off easily and the new one
went on with no compatibility problems. I have not fitted a
HG cassette yet but intend to do the 8 of 9 on 7 trick on
this and my tourer (which will actually be 8 of 9 on 6).

NB I have a used but servicable UG body on offer,

daveornee wrote:

> I need an effective and non-damaging way to hold a couple
> of older Shimano 7 speed hubs so that I can wrench off the
> cassette bodies.

Lace it to a rim with a few spokes; hold the rim.

--
Dave dvt at psu dot edu

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:44:53 GMT, daveornee
<[email protected]> wrote:
>I need an effective and non-damaging way to hold a couple
>of older Shimano 7 speed hubs so that I can wrench off the
>cassette bodies. The

If you won't build them into wheels for this purpose (you
could just build the wheel you'll eventually build anyway),
maybe you can screw a piece of wood to the NDS with a thin
screw in each hole. Or, a couple pieces of wood with cutouts
for the inside of the hub, properly thick to screw both DS
and NDS into...
--
Rick Onanian

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I need an effective and non-damaging way to hold a couple
>of older Shimano 7 speed hubs so that I can wrench off the
>cassette bodies. The hubs are new old stock. I don't think
>I am dealing with a corrosion problem as the grease is
>perfectly clean and the hubs have never been used or stored
>in a corrosive environment. I want to take off the cassette
>bodies to perform a swap of HG and UG bodies. I have the
>required 10 mm Allen wrench, but I can't seem to find an
>effective way to hold the hub in the vice. I am currently
>trying to hold the hub in the center with wooden pine
>blocks that are lined with inner tubes. The hub spins
>before I am able to apply sufficient torque to unscrew the
>retaining fastener. Please share any effective methods.

Use about 6 spokes and lace the hub into a rim. Then use
your 10 mm hex key.

dvt <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> daveornee wrote:
>
> > I need an effective and non-damaging way to hold a
> > couple of older Shimano 7 speed hubs so that I can
> > wrench off the cassette bodies.
>
> Lace it to a rim with a few spokes; hold the rim.

Ditto here. I did this a little while back when I was
swapping cassette bodies between bare hubs. You need half
as many spokes as a whole wheel- 18 spokes and a 36-hole
rim in my case.

Remember that you'll need the same thing to tighten the body
on the hub.

Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Wills
dvt <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> daveornee wrote:
>
> > I need an effective and non-damaging way to hold a
> > couple of older Shimano 7 speed hubs so that I can
> > wrench off the cassette bodies.
>
> Lace it to a rim with a few spokes; hold the rim.

Ditto here. I did this a little while back when I was
swapping cassette bodies between bare hubs. You need half
as many spokes as a whole wheel- 18 spokes and a 36-hole
rim in my case.

Remember that you'll need the same thing to tighten the body
on the hub.

Jeff

I was trying to avoid the obvious.
I even bought a special set of jaw covers with rounds in it. It came frome Sears and even has magnets in it to keep it on the jaws. However, even with this nice extra, I still couldn't get a good enough purchase to hold the hub in the vise.
I finally gave up, built the wheel that was to receive the cassette body transplant, then partially laced the donor hub, and finally made the switch. It was easier than I thought and certainly made the vise routine look like "What were you thinking?"
Thanks to all who put in their convincing words of experienced of advice.
My old 7 speed carbon fiber bicycle is going to enjoy it's "new" HG cassette rear wheel.

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:26:08 GMT, Paul Kopit <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Use about 6 spokes and lace the hub into a rim. Then use
>your 10 mm hex key.

I've used as few as 8, but six ought to work also. Three on
each flange spaced at 120 degrees ought to do it. No need to
tension the spokes.

jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net
http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

I have started a collection of 7 cog freehubs because they
are not making them anymore. Take some string and run it
through the spoke holes and tie the hub down to something a
piece of wood with two holes works great. You only need to
use one spoke hole but one in each flange works better. I
use a steel railroad tie plate with some newspaper between
the hub and the steel. This does not damage the hub the
stresses are not that great.

Shimano 7 Sp. UniGlide? Are the cogs in good shape?
What sizes?

I may just buy some from you!

My E-mail address is valid, if you want to right back :-3)

- -

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear
for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

<[email protected]> may have said:

>I need an effective and non-damaging way to hold a couple
>of older Shimano 7 speed hubs so that I can wrench off the
>cassette bodies. The hubs are new old stock. I don't think
>I am dealing with a corrosion problem as the grease is
>perfectly clean and the hubs have never been used or stored
>in a corrosive environment. I want to take off the cassette
>bodies to perform a swap of HG and UG bodies. I have the
>required 10 mm Allen wrench, but I can't seem to find an
>effective way to hold the hub in the vice. I am currently
>trying to hold the hub in the center with wooden pine
>blocks that are lined with inner tubes. The hub spins
>before I am able to apply sufficient torque to unscrew the
>retaining fastener. Please share any effective methods.

Take the hub and the wrench (I assume here that it's a bit
that fits on a ratchet) and run down to the nearest car
repair shop. Ask them to use an impact wrench to undo the
retainer for you. I've taken these out with a 3/8"-drive
impact while holding the hub in my hand; no vise needed.

Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:

> Shimano 7 Sp. UniGlide? Are the cogs in good shape?
> What sizes?
>
> I may just buy some from you!
>
> My E-mail address is valid, if you want to right back :-3)

You want UG Cassettes?
http://www.yellowjersey.org/friction.html (bottom of page)

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
April, 1971

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:25:35 GMT, Werehatrack wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:44:53 GMT, daveornee <usenet-
> [email protected]> may have said:
>
>>I need an effective and non-damaging way to hold a couple
>>of older Shimano 7 speed hubs so that I can wrench off the
>>cassette bodies. The hubs are new old stock. I don't think
>>I am dealing with a corrosion problem as the grease is
>>perfectly clean and the hubs have never been used or
>>stored in a corrosive environment. I want to take off the
>>cassette bodies to perform a swap of HG and UG bodies. I
>>have the required 10 mm Allen wrench, but I can't seem to
>>find an effective way to hold the hub in the vice. I am
>>currently trying to hold the hub in the center with wooden
>>pine blocks that are lined with inner tubes. The hub spins
>>before I am able to apply sufficient torque to unscrew the
>>retaining fastener. Please share any effective methods.

Build a half a wheel. Doesn't have to be good, accurate,
fancy or even correct. You can use an old rim, spokes
and nipples.

--
Skuke Reverse the domain name to send email