Holding on off season

msummers

Jun 27, 2005
May I apologize in advance if this subject has been discussed previously. Would a weekly 40 minute tempo ride, a 2 x 20 session and 5 or 6 VO2 max intervals suffice in diminishing a loss of fitness during the winter months? Not all at once ofcourse but on a trainer with each workout a seperate session about an hour total in length. Let's assume that there would not be much more time available for any other lower level workouts in that week. Does the lack of volume at lower levels diminish the benefits of mostly L4 and 5 work?

Depending on what fitness level and training regiment you're starting from, I think that looks like a decent maintenance routine for the off-season -- for shorter duration (~1hr) fitness, at least.

Personally, I might consider trading the VO2max workout for another Tempo or Threshold session, but again, it depends on where you're starting from and what kind of riding you're preparing for.

msummers said:
May I apologize in advance if this subject has been discussed previously. Would a weekly 40 minute tempo ride, a 2 x 20 session and 5 or 6 VO2 max intervals suffice in diminishing a loss of fitness during the winter months? Not all at once ofcourse but on a trainer with each workout a seperate session about an hour total in length. Let's assume that there would not be much more time available for any other lower level workouts in that week. Does the lack of volume at lower levels diminish the benefits of mostly L4 and 5 work?
I agree with frenchy, concenctrate your efforts on threshold and you may come out of winter with greater fitnesss rather than less.

BTW, Andy Coggan posted on Topica once that his winter maintenance workout looked something like this:
1x20z4
3x4z5
?x1? z6
Not positive but I think that got the general idea.

whoawhoa said:
I agree with frenchy, concenctrate your efforts on threshold and you may come out of winter with greater fitnesss rather than less.

BTW, Andy Coggan posted on Topica once that his winter maintenance workout looked something like this:
1x20z4
3x4z5
?x1? z6
Not positive but I think that got the general idea.
I don't recall the exact protocol either, but of note was that all the intervals were done at 90% of peak in-season values.
This is critical since intensity is the single greatest determinant of training effect (vs duration and frequency). If you follow such a training plan all winter w/o some reduction in intensity (or at least duration, or both), you are likely to burn out.

Smartt/RST said:
I don't recall the exact protocol either, but of note was that all the intervals were done at 90% of peak in-season values.
This is critical since intensity is the single greatest determinant of training effect (vs duration and frequency). If you follow such a training plan all winter w/o some reduction in intensity (or at least duration, or both), you are likely to burn out.
Here's Andy's post: http://www.cyclingforums.com/showpost.php?p=2240649&postcount=6

BTW, I don't see this as a reduction in interval intensity. The peak in-season values are Andy's MPs at those durations. Intervals are typically not done at MP for a given duration anyway.