Holdsworth Professional, will it go for ever???

saladcyclist

Nov 7, 2007
South Bedfordshire
I ride an old custom 1981 road bike with a Holdsworth Professional frame, super champion rims, campag chainset, sun tour gears. I still have the gear changer on the frame and can't imagine it any where else!!! The bike has done alot of work and looks a little scruffy with some scuffs on the frame with a little light rust. But it goes as lovely as ever and I still can't see the need to change for a modern bike. I don't see any other old classics on the road now, makes me feel a little bit of an odd ball with my brake cables sticking up in the air. Does any one else ride an old classic? Do you have troubles getting replacement bits, like brake pads, cables, gear cassettes, etc. . Also, will good old reynolds 531 DB tubing last for ever?
Chris

saladcyclist said:
Do you have troubles getting replacement bits, like brake pads, cables, gear cassettes, etc. . Also, will good old reynolds 531 DB tubing last for ever?
Chris
Yes to both questions.

The hardest parts to find are rubber brake lever hoods, brake pads, and close-ratio 6- and 7-speed freewheels. For replacement bits shop online at ebay, Recycled Cycles, Bicycle Classics, and other sites. Don't forget to network with local shops to find out who has stashes of old stuff. Nashbar has a line of inexpensive new 13-24 7-speed freewheels. Stronglight and Specialties TA have aftermarket chainrings for old bolt patterns.

If cared for, a Reynolds 531 frame could last a lifetime, or at least until you're ready for a trike. Keep riding it, keep it clean, touch up bare metal, and don't store near corrosive materials. Reynolds 531 seems to be more corrosion resistant than Columbus SL, SP, and SLX.