Holes near the BB on my carbon frame?

neilkod

Sep 8, 2003
I noticed two small holes on the near the BB on my Specialized Tarmac. The holes are a little wider than brake/shifter cables. They're also near the bottom bracket.

Do I have a warranty issue here? Is the bike unsafe to ride? I'm not sure how long the holes have been there - however I'm second-guessing taking my bike out because I feel the structure of the frame has been compromised. I would hate for these to lead to further cracks.

Am I on to something, or am I outta my mind? Should I just be glad that this bike didn't crumble beneath me?

LBS is closed now, I would like to have my facts straight before presenting them with the holes. Its an 06 Specialized Tarmac, 61cm.

I'm no expert but I would imagine that the BB absorbs most of my force when I'm riding.

Here are some pictures

Wide shot of both holes

Detail of a hole.

gclark8 said:
Looks like drain holes to let any water out of the frame. ;)

Are you serious? Now I feel like an idiot for never noticing them before. But then again, wouldn't they be uniform (or at least round)???

neilkod said:
Are you serious? Now I feel like an idiot for never noticing them before. But then again, wouldn't they be uniform (or at least round)???
I would have expected a drain point, or points, to be at the lowest point of the BB shell. They look a little like something has been mounted through into the shell at those points and something has been wrenched off.

Perhaps have a look in a bike shop that stocks that model, to see what it looks like out of the crate? It doesn't on the face of it, look dangerous. But personally I can't stand (and most certainly don't trust) carbon, particluarly after my carbon Canyon let go of it's FD with the very slightest of provocation.

Just call Specialized and ask. Or send them an email with links to your pics. If it's deemed they're nothing of consequence, then you could just fill 'em with silicone to keep water and mung out.

I wouldn't worry too much, though. If there is a warranty issue, Specialized is good about taking care of such things. Despite what some have been led to believe, CF won't explode if you look at it, and it is quite durable.

They look deliberate and look like drain holes. It looks like the chainstays don't communicate with the BB shell, so those holes are at the lowest point for the chainstay. I wouldn't give them another thought.