Holiday booked!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Arthur Clune, Feb 24, 2006.

  1. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    I've booked my summer holiday.

    http://www.veloloco.com/trips/coast-to-coast-raid.htm

    A version of the Raid Pyreneen. Coast to Coast across the mountains
    in six days, with some extra hills chucked in just for the fun of it.
    The standard version is five days but with a shorter route. This one
    adds a few more hills and uses quieter roads.

    It's in the middle of September so hopefully it'll still be hot
    without being tar meltingly hot.

    http://www.wright.net.nz/photos/fr/pyrenees/arrive/photos.php

    has some pictures from someone else that did the ride

    I can't wait :)

    As an aside, does anyone know what "RAID" means in this context?

    Cheers,

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

  3. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:
    > "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >

    > > As an aside, does anyone know what "RAID" means in this context?

    I think it just means a tour; randonee is originally a walking term
    IIRC;

    Have fun, don't understand the pricing, 1200 euros is more than 600 sq
    I did an Italy Coast to Coast at the end of September 3 years ago, it
    was very warm (when not p***ing down) but as you say roads were not
    melting; just right.

  4. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > Have fun, don't understand the pricing, 1200 euros is more than 600 sq

    Seems fair for 8 nights accomadation, breakfast, evening meal + baggage
    transfer to me.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  5. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > I've booked my summer holiday.
    >
    > http://www.veloloco.com/trips/coast-to-coast-raid.htm
    >
    > A version of the Raid Pyreneen. Coast to Coast across the mountains
    > in six days, with some extra hills chucked in just for the fun of it.
    > The standard version is five days but with a shorter route. This one
    > adds a few more hills and uses quieter roads.
    >
    > It's in the middle of September so hopefully it'll still be hot
    > without being tar meltingly hot.
    >
    > http://www.wright.net.nz/photos/fr/pyrenees/arrive/photos.php
    >
    > has some pictures from someone else that did the ride
    >
    > I can't wait :)
    >
    > As an aside, does anyone know what "RAID" means in this context?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Arthur
    >
    > --
    > Arthur Clune

    You lucky fella. I attempted the proper Raid Pyrenean 2003, proper in
    that we had frame badges, brevt cards, time limit etc. Remember August
    2003, b*st*rd hot, 10000 more people died that month than usual in
    France. Road melting, bikes melting, cars melting.... September should
    be more palatable.

  6. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    > >
    > > Have fun, don't understand the pricing, 1200 euros is more than 600 sq

    > Seems fair for 8 nights accomadation, breakfast, evening meal + baggage
    > transfer to me.

    yes, just read it again. I think the Bordeaux-Barcelona charges that to
    camp.

  7. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    MSeries wrote:

    > You lucky fella. I attempted the proper Raid Pyrenean 2003, proper in
    > that we had frame badges, brevt cards, time limit etc. Remember August
    > 2003, b*st*rd hot, 10000 more people died that month than usual in
    > France. Road melting, bikes melting, cars melting.... September should
    > be more palatable.

    I avoided August for this very reason! I've been to there in July and
    that was hot enough.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  8. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > MSeries wrote:
    > >
    > > You lucky fella. I attempted the proper Raid Pyrenean 2003, proper in
    > > that we had frame badges, brevt cards, time limit etc. Remember August
    > > 2003, b*st*rd hot, 10000 more people died that month than usual in
    > > France. Road melting, bikes melting, cars melting.... September should
    > > be more palatable.

    > I avoided August for this very reason! I've been to there in July and
    > that was hot enough.

    to quote the French journo on the Tom Simpson doc; "c'est le chaleur du
    crematoire" describing the top of the Ventoux.

  9. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    > As an aside, does anyone know what "RAID" means in this context?

    Really Awesome Inclines & Descents

    Cheers, helen s ;-)

  10. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > MSeries wrote:
    >
    >>You lucky fella. I attempted the proper Raid Pyrenean 2003, proper in
    >>that we had frame badges, brevt cards, time limit etc. Remember August
    >>2003, b*st*rd hot, 10000 more people died that month than usual in
    >>France. Road melting, bikes melting, cars melting.... September should
    >>be more palatable.

    > I avoided August for this very reason! I've been to there in July and
    > that was hot enough.

    And there's a lot less traffic outside the holiday season too...
    Bonne Route
    Dan Gregory