Holiday cookies and breads

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Marge, Nov 30, 2005.

  1. Marge

    Marge Guest

    I bake for presents each year. I've already made brownies. I'm
    thinking chocolate chips, Mexican wedding cakes, biscotti, a bar cookie
    with oatmeal and raspberry jam.

    I had the idea for a cranberry bread, but bf says he thinks it's too
    cakey, so maybe pumpkin bread?

    what do you all bake for the holidays?

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Marge" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I bake for presents each year. I've already made brownies. I'm
    > thinking chocolate chips, Mexican wedding cakes, biscotti, a bar cookie
    > with oatmeal and raspberry jam.
    >
    > I had the idea for a cranberry bread, but bf says he thinks it's too
    > cakey, so maybe pumpkin bread?
    >
    > what do you all bake for the holidays?

    Gingerbread cookies
    Cranberry bars
    Lemon bread
    this year we're adding cranberry pistachio biscotti to the mix.

    marcella

  3. Marge wrote:
    > I bake for presents each year. I've already made brownies. I'm
    > thinking chocolate chips, Mexican wedding cakes, biscotti, a bar cookie
    > with oatmeal and raspberry jam.
    >
    > I had the idea for a cranberry bread, but bf says he thinks it's too
    > cakey, so maybe pumpkin bread?
    >
    > what do you all bake for the holidays?

    I always make gingered banana bread and cinnamon-nutmeg chocolate chip
    cookies. I usually make small rolled sugar cookies in xmas shapes and
    gingerbread men too.

    --

    saerah

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  4. [email protected] writes:
    >I bake for presents each year. I've already made brownies. I'm
    >thinking chocolate chips, Mexican wedding cakes, biscotti, a bar cookie
    >with oatmeal and raspberry jam.
    >
    >I had the idea for a cranberry bread, but bf says he thinks it's too
    >cakey, so maybe pumpkin bread?
    >
    >what do you all bake for the holidays?

    peanut brittle!

  5. S'mee

    S'mee Guest

    One time on Usenet, [email protected] said:
    > [email protected] writes:
    > >I bake for presents each year. I've already made brownies. I'm
    > >thinking chocolate chips, Mexican wedding cakes, biscotti, a bar cookie
    > >with oatmeal and raspberry jam.
    > >
    > >I had the idea for a cranberry bread, but bf says he thinks it's too
    > >cakey, so maybe pumpkin bread?
    > >
    > >what do you all bake for the holidays?

    > peanut brittle!

    Oh! Thanks for the reminder, I need to make some peanut brittle for my
    father this Christmas...

    --
    Jani in WA (S'mee)
    ~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

  6. Nancy1

    Nancy1 Guest

    Marge wrote:
    > I bake for presents each year. I've already made brownies. I'm
    > thinking chocolate chips, Mexican wedding cakes, biscotti, a bar cookie
    > with oatmeal and raspberry jam.
    >
    > I had the idea for a cranberry bread, but bf says he thinks it's too
    > cakey, so maybe pumpkin bread?
    >
    > what do you all bake for the holidays?

    If it's for presents, what does the BF care how cakey or not it is?
    LOL.

    Usually I make Almond Toffee Crunch, old-fashion fudge, pecan tassies,
    chocolate mint sandwich cookies, dream bars and maybe a raspberry
    chocolate cookie bar. However, nobody's going to be around at
    Christmas so I might just skip the whole baking thing. ;-) God knows,
    I don't need any of it.

    N.

  7. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    > what do you all bake for the holidays? I've gotten rave reviews for these
    > the past 2 Christmases.

    Cranberry Noel Cookies

    1 cup unsalted butter, softened
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2- 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
    3/4 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
    1/2 cup pecans, toasted
    1- 1/2 cup coconut, finely chopped

    1 In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat
    the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2
    minutes. Add milk, vanilla, and salt. Beat until just combined. Gradually
    add flour, cranberries, and pecans. Mix on low speed until fully combined.
    2 Divide dough in half. Shape each half into 8-inch logs, about 2 inches in
    diameter. Roll logs in coconut, pressing lightly to coat the outside of the
    logs. Wrap logs in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
    3 Heat oven to 375°. Using a sharp knife, cut logs into 1/4-inch thick
    slices. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets, about 1 1/2-inches apart. Bake
    until edges are golden, about 12 minutes. Transfer cookies to a rack to
    cool. Store up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
    4 Lynne's note: I toasted pecans at 350 degrees in the toaster oven for
    about 10 minutes. Cranberries needed to be whirled in food processor they
    were hard to chop finely. On the other hand the food processor was too rough
    on the pecans and they did better with the Pampered Chef Food Chopper.
    Cookies do spread a little and they do turn brown, but they are tasty either
    way.

    Servings: 60
    Yield: 5 dozen

  8. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Marge wrote:
    > I bake for presents each year. I've already made brownies. I'm
    > thinking chocolate chips, Mexican wedding cakes, biscotti, a bar cookie
    > with oatmeal and raspberry jam.
    >
    > I had the idea for a cranberry bread, but bf says he thinks it's too
    > cakey, so maybe pumpkin bread?
    >
    > what do you all bake for the holidays?

    Sadly, I just never was any good with the baking, so i rely on the kindness of
    others to supply me with my holiday baked goods.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  9. Bronwyn

    Bronwyn Guest

    King's Crown wrote:
    > > what do you all bake for the holidays? I've gotten rave reviews for these
    > > the past 2 Christmases.

    > Cranberry Noel Cookies

    recipe (snip)

    Those cookies sound lovely, I think I will make a batch to take out to
    friends for dinner this Sat. nite. Thanks so much, I even have the
    cranberries in my cupboard. And pecans for that matter....
    I usually make my favourite Scottish shortbread. I'll post the recipe
    later.

    Cheers
    Bronnie
    Oz

  10. Carol Garbo

    Carol Garbo Guest

    I make the following for the holidays: fruitcake (I know, but my
    husband loves them); springerle; lebkuchen; chocolate pecan fudge;
    chocolate/coconut balls; Chocolate Amaretto truffles; pain de chocolat;
    stollen; pizzelles; waffle cookies; speculatius; kolacki. Carol

    Our life may not always be the party we would have chosen, but while we
    are here, we may as well dance!

  11. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Marge wrote:

    > I bake for presents each year. I've already made brownies. I'm
    > thinking chocolate chips, Mexican wedding cakes, biscotti, a bar cookie
    > with oatmeal and raspberry jam.
    >
    > I had the idea for a cranberry bread, but bf says he thinks it's too
    > cakey, so maybe pumpkin bread?
    >
    > what do you all bake for the holidays?

    I always make shortbread and peanut butter cookies. I'll do that again
    this year too but I bought a cookie press today so want to include make
    spritz cookies. I also make bread and pies but making bread is a rather
    a normal couple times or more event here so I don't really consider it
    part of my holiday baking.

  12. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    tert in seattle wrote:

    > [email protected] writes:
    >
    >>I bake for presents each year. I've already made brownies. I'm
    >>thinking chocolate chips, Mexican wedding cakes, biscotti, a bar cookie
    >>with oatmeal and raspberry jam.
    >>
    >>I had the idea for a cranberry bread, but bf says he thinks it's too
    >>cakey, so maybe pumpkin bread?
    >>
    >>what do you all bake for the holidays?

    > peanut brittle!

    Oh I make that as well, and fudge, and crystral cut candies, and a
    popcorn ball tree. I didn't include those in my reply as none of these
    things are baked.

  13. Jude

    Jude Guest

    mexican wedding cakes
    macaroons & chocolate macaroons
    date-coconut yule logs
    cranberry butter cookies
    cream cheese spritz cookies
    chclate covered pretzels and oreos
    peanut butter fudge

  14. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Marge wrote:
    > I bake for presents each year. I've already made brownies. I'm
    > thinking chocolate chips, Mexican wedding cakes, biscotti, a bar cookie
    > with oatmeal and raspberry jam.
    >
    > I had the idea for a cranberry bread, but bf says he thinks it's too
    > cakey, so maybe pumpkin bread?
    >
    > what do you all bake for the holidays?

    Biscotti, either Fruitacke or Fruitcake Cookies, Fudge (not every year),
    and assorted pies. I might try some Cheese Straws this year too.

    Here's a festive cookie to use up those cranberries you mentioned:

    Cranberry Cookies
    (from Betty Crocker Recipe Card Library, 1971)

    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1 cup granulated sugar
    3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
    1/4 cup milk
    2 Tbsp orange juice
    1 egg
    3 cups flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup chopped nuts
    2 1/2 cups coarsely chopped frozen cranberries

    Heat oven to 375. Cream butter and sugars, stir in remaining
    ingredients. Drop by tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart on greased
    cookie sheets and bake 10 to 15 minutes.

  15. Jessica V.

    Jessica V. Guest

    Marge wrote:
    > I bake for presents each year. I've already made brownies. I'm
    > thinking chocolate chips, Mexican wedding cakes, biscotti, a bar cookie
    > with oatmeal and raspberry jam.
    >
    > I had the idea for a cranberry bread, but bf says he thinks it's too
    > cakey, so maybe pumpkin bread?
    >
    > what do you all bake for the holidays?

    Mainstays of Christmas-time baking here are almond-coconut macaroons,
    biscotti, gingerbread men, Mexican wedding cakes, soft molassas
    cookies, spritz, and sugar cookies.

    For candies I have to make at batch of divinity fudge for Dad, my mom
    won't make it because it has "raw" egg whites in it. I also make rum
    balls, ganache truffles, buck-eyes, needhams, and maple fudge.

    Jessica

  16. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    When I first read the recipe it sounded like an odd combination on
    ingredients (dried cranberries, pecans and coconut), but like you I had all
    the ingredients and gave them a try. They were SO good and look really
    pretty for a cookie swap I made them for.

    Lynne

    "Bronwyn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > King's Crown wrote:
    >> > what do you all bake for the holidays? I've gotten rave reviews for
    >> > these
    >> > the past 2 Christmases.

    >> Cranberry Noel Cookies
    >>

    > recipe (snip)
    >

    > Those cookies sound lovely, I think I will make a batch to take out to
    > friends for dinner this Sat. nite. Thanks so much, I even have the
    > cranberries in my cupboard. And pecans for that matter....
    > I usually make my favourite Scottish shortbread. I'll post the recipe
    > later.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Bronnie
    > Oz

  17. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    ooooh popcorn ball tree. That sounds yummy and fun for kids to eat. Do you
    go horizontal or vertical with the tree. I see popcorn balls stacked
    skyward.

    Lynne

    "~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > tert in seattle wrote:
    >
    >> [email protected] writes:
    >>
    >>>I bake for presents each year. I've already made brownies. I'm
    >>>thinking chocolate chips, Mexican wedding cakes, biscotti, a bar cookie
    >>>with oatmeal and raspberry jam.
    >>>
    >>>I had the idea for a cranberry bread, but bf says he thinks it's too
    >>>cakey, so maybe pumpkin bread?
    >>>
    >>>what do you all bake for the holidays?

    >> peanut brittle!
    >>

    > Oh I make that as well, and fudge, and crystral cut candies, and a popcorn
    > ball tree. I didn't include those in my reply as none of these things are
    > baked.

  18. On 30 Nov 2005 12:23:33 -0800, "Marge" <[email protected]>
    rummaged among random neurons and opined:

    >I bake for presents each year. I've already made brownies. I'm
    >thinking chocolate chips, Mexican wedding cakes, biscotti, a bar cookie
    >with oatmeal and raspberry jam.
    >
    >I had the idea for a cranberry bread, but bf says he thinks it's too
    >cakey, so maybe pumpkin bread?
    >
    >what do you all bake for the holidays?

    krumkakke
    sugar cookies
    almond tile cookies
    spritz cookies
    gooey balls

    I also make hard candy, put them in pretty glass containers and give
    those to the neighbors, my banker, dry cleaner, hair dresser, etc.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  19. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    King's Crown wrote:

    > ooooh popcorn ball tree. That sounds yummy and fun for kids to eat. Do you
    > go horizontal or vertical with the tree. I see popcorn balls stacked
    > skyward.

    Yes, the tree is vertical. I got the idea from Better Homes & Gardens
    Cookies and Candies (1966) when my kids were little and my first attempt
    at making a gingerbread house was a disaster. The book was actually my
    dMIL's and I really cherish it since she passed away. It has become a
    family tradition for us to have a popcorn ball tree at Christmas time :)
    Half of the popcorn balls are tinted pink and the other half are left
    white according to their design but in recent years I just leave them
    all white. I start at the bottom to form a base then work upwards until
    there are 4 popcorn balls. Then I insert 3 candy canes tied with a bow
    in the centre of the 4 top balls. I use Christmas greenry around the
    base.

    > Lynne
    >
    > "~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>tert in seattle wrote:

    >>>peanut brittle!
    >>>

    >>Oh I make that as well, and fudge, and crystral cut candies, and a popcorn
    >>ball tree. I didn't include those in my reply as none of these things are
    >>baked.

  20. CJ Jones

    CJ Jones Guest

    Marge wrote:
    > I bake for presents each year. I've already made brownies. I'm
    > thinking chocolate chips, Mexican wedding cakes, biscotti, a bar cookie
    > with oatmeal and raspberry jam.
    >
    > I had the idea for a cranberry bread, but bf says he thinks it's too
    > cakey, so maybe pumpkin bread?
    >
    > what do you all bake for the holidays?

    1. butterscotch/semi sweet chip cookies (with pumpkin spice and vanilla
    nut flavoring..yum)
    2. Chocolate Mint Brownies
    3. Plum pudding
    4. Italian Rum Cake, with slivered almonds
    5. double fudge bundt cake with rum custard filling
    6. Cranberry Apple breads/muffins

    I'm addicted to baking for the holidays and generally start around
    November 1... with TONS of sugar cookies, with many many many flavors
    and shapes.

    CJ