Holiday cookies and breads

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Marge, Nov 30, 2005.

  1. djs0302

    djs0302 Guest

    Marge wrote:
    > I bake for presents each year. I've already made brownies. I'm
    > thinking chocolate chips, Mexican wedding cakes, biscotti, a bar cookie
    > with oatmeal and raspberry jam.
    >
    > I had the idea for a cranberry bread, but bf says he thinks it's too
    > cakey, so maybe pumpkin bread?
    >
    > what do you all bake for the holidays?

    fudge
    Mexican wedding cakes
    peanut brittle
    pretzels dipped in white candy coating
    buckeyes
    orange snowballs
    party mix made with Chex cereal but not made the same as Chex Party
    Mix.
    honey apple cake

  2. Bronwyn

    Bronwyn Guest

    Good, Lynne, I'll give them a go tomorrow.

  3. "Marge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I had the idea for a cranberry bread, but bf says he thinks it's too
    > cakey, so maybe pumpkin bread?
    >
    > what do you all bake for the holidays?

    Cake is great during the holidays. He just wants more cookies :p

    I thought and thought about the baking this year. Last night I made a
    spreadsheet that breaks out all events and gifts and indicates how many of
    each is available for each event. It's actually good quantity control
    because every year I end up with a ton of cookies I eat myself. No really, a
    ton. Anyway:

    1. Fruitcake
    2. Cranberry pistachio biscotti
    3. Mocha toffee cashew bars
    4. Ginger crunch shortbread
    5. Decorated gingerbread
    6. The blueberry almond cups I just saw in the December 2005 Gourmet but
    don't know the actual name of, but with raspberry

    cheers, Rox

  4. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Marge wrote:

    > what do you all bake for the holidays?

    In my youth, Mom would make a banana bread rolled up with a buttercream
    (or similar) filling, almost 2 feet long. Looked like a giant yodel*.

    If left alone with one of those, I could eat it up to the point of
    getting sick.

    --
    Andy
    * http://tinyurl.com/akdse

  5. Kathy

    Kathy Guest

    I like -

    Scottish shortbread (made with butter and powdered sugar)
    Lebkuchen (honey spice cookies with dried fruit)
    Egg nog pound cake (regular pound cake with rum flavoring and nutmeg)
    Russian tea cakes (just like everyone makes - aren't they good?)

    For special occasions I like to make a big batch of plain spritz dough,
    divide it into several portions, add different colors and flavorings to
    each, and then squeeze out each color of dough in a suitable pattern
    (green trees, pink swirls, yellow wreaths). I sandwich them with
    buttercream frosting - chocolate or mint, cherry, and lemon or orange.
    They look rather like storebought butter cookies, but they taste much
    better since homemade filling has more zip than bland storebought.

    Kathy

  6. Kathy

    Kathy Guest

    I like -

    Scottish shortbread (made with butter and powdered sugar)
    Lebkuchen (honey spice cookies with dried fruit)
    Egg nog pound cake (regular pound cake with rum flavoring and nutmeg)
    Russian tea cakes (just like everyone makes - aren't they good?)

    For special occasions I like to make a big batch of plain spritz dough,
    divide it into several portions, add different colors and flavorings to
    each, and then squeeze out each color of dough in a suitable pattern
    (green trees, pink swirls, yellow wreaths). I sandwich them with
    buttercream frosting - chocolate or mint, cherry, and lemon or orange.
    They look rather like storebought butter cookies, but they taste much
    better since homemade filling has more zip than bland storebought.

    Kathy

  7. sueb

    sueb Guest

    I make vanilla kipferel, the German version of what I've seen called
    Russian Tea cakes. These are made with ground almonds and are a bit
    more delicate than the RTcakes.

    I roll mine in powdered sugar but a friend of the family's rolls hers
    in vanilla sugar. She puts a vanilla bean in a closed container of
    sugar for several months, after which it takes on a vanilly perfume.

  8. Marge

    Marge Guest

    >this year we're adding cranberry pistachio biscotti to the mix.
    >marcella

    what’s your recipe for this, if you don’t mind. Yum.

    >If it's for presents, what does the BF care how cakey or not it is?
    >LOL.

    That’s true, Nancy. I actually like the cranberry bread, when I make
    it I make two loaves, one to
    give away, and one I freeze since I’m the only one that will eat it.

    >springerle; lebkuchen; chocolate pecan fudge;
    >chocolate/coconut balls; Chocolate Amaretto truffles; pain de chocolat;
    >stollen; pizzelles; waffle cookies; speculatius; kolacki. Carol

    wow, I want to be at your house for Christmas.

    >Cranberry Cookies
    >(from Betty Crocker Recipe Card Library, 1971)

    Great :) thanks so much for posting that!

    >I'm addicted to baking for the holidays and generally start around
    >November 1... with TONS of sugar cookies, with many many many flavors
    >and shapes.
    >CJ

    I know, me too. The Italian rum cake sounds so good.

    >In my youth, Mom would make a banana bread rolled up with a buttercream
    >(or similar) filling, almost 2 feet long. Looked like a giant yodel*.
    >If left alone with one of those, I could eat it up to the point of
    >getting sick.

    Sounds almost like a personalized Büche de Noël. My mom used to make
    filled sugar cookies,
    the filling would be raisins or pineapple.

    All the German cookies. I was in Bavaria one Christmas years ago. I
    had this candy that was chocolate with marzipan. One of my favorite
    candies ever since.

  9. As I was thumbing through my cookbook to decide which cookies to make
    this year, I thought I'd post recipes for 3 of them:

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Gooey Balls

    cookies

    1 stick margarine
    1 cup dates; chopped
    2 egg yolks
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 cups Rice Krispies®
    1 cup pecans; chopped
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    coconut

    Cook dates in melted margarine until soft. Add egg yolks and sugar.
    Stir over low heat until mixture is gooey. Add Rice Krispies, pecans
    and vanilla. Make into small balls with buttered hands and roll in
    coconut.

    Freezes well.

    Contributor: Lois Clark

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Crisp Sugar Cookies

    cookies

    1-1/2 c powdered sugar
    1c butter (or butter flavor crisco)
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp almond extract
    2-1/2 c flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp cream or tartar

    Mix wet ingredients. Sift dry ingredients. Incorporate dry into wet

    Chill the dough

    Roll to 1/8' to 1/4' thick & use cookie cutters

    375 degree oven, 7 - 8 min (or till done)

    Yield: makes about 5 d

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Decorative Cookie Icing

    cookies

    3 egg whites
    1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1 package confectioner's sugar; 16 oz.
    assorted food colors

    In large mixer bowl with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites and
    cream of tartar until frothy. Add sugar and continue beating 5 - 7
    mins. until smooth and thick or until a knife drawn through icing
    leaves a clean-cut path. Plac3e in a container with a tightly fitting
    lid until ready to use.

    (Can be kept up to 2 weeks in refrigerator.)

    Makes about 3 cups.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Contributor: Ladies Home Journal

    Yield: 1 serving

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Norwegian Spritz Cookies

    cookies

    1 cup butter; softened
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg
    2 1/2 cups flour; sifted

    Cream butter until very light and fluffy. Cream in the sugar
    gradually, again beating until very light. (Degree of lightness
    determines the texture of cookies.) Beat in egg or egg yolks and
    flavoring. Sift the flour with the salt and add to the mixture. Unless
    it's quite warm, the dough won't need to be chilled before it's put
    through the cookie press. Ad adjust too stiff a dough, add a few drops
    of milk. If it's too soft, chill or add a bit more flour. Turn cookies
    out on a cold, buttered cookie sheet and bake at 400° F until light
    yellow (baking time varies with depth of design used).

    I'm doing krumkakke, too, but that recipe's on the back of the box the
    iron came in :)

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines