Holiday in Moab/Fruita

Westie

Guest
So it's looking like I'm going to be 'between jobs' for a few months soon
and I'm due for a holiday. What better excuse do I need to try some riding
in the States?
I haven't been to the States before so I have no idea where to start with
planning a trip that probably involves a couple or three weeks (maybe more)
biking before I head over to Europe to catch up with some friends over
there. I guess that I'll go where everyone else goes and head to Fruita and
Moab.

Could you guys give me some help, info, names or contacts to get me started
with planning this?
With a lot of you guys being regulars to the area (or locals), it's pretty
straight forward. It's a bit daunting for me being here on the other side
of the world though at the moment. Can anyone give me some advice or an
opinion on where to start once I get to the States?
Where can I find out details about accommodation and riding? Hell, I'm not
even sure about exact locations!
Guides? Or DIY?

Should I look at doing this on my own or would riding with a group be
easier/better/safer/essential?
Can I catch up with anyone there so that you can point me in the right
direction once I'm there?
Cheers
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

On Sun, 30 May 2004 16:12:38 +1200, Westie wrote:

> Could you guys give me some help, info, names or contacts to get me started
> with planning this?

I spend a fair amount of time on rec.travel.europe, since planning my trip
there last summer. You can get a lot of good input from NGs. Work up the
places you want to ride and things you want to see, then post it for
inputs.

As with Europe, there are low-cost regional carriers in the US that can
take you between cities at a fairly reasonable cost (as long as you book
early). Southwest.com will probably be your best bet. You'll no doubt be
flying into a west-coast city anyway (from New Zealand, right?). The
downside is that they'll all charge you a ~$50 fee for checking your bike.

You could consider flying into San Francisco or Los Angeles if you wanted
to take in some West-coast riding, prior to heading inward (there appears
to be some nice riding in San Diego, a couple hours drive from LA). You'll
be in a fog for a few days anyway from the jetlag. I'm not sure how
different Northern California would be from NZ. Its possible to drive
between these locations, but each leg will be a full day drive.

Otherwise you could just head to Salt Lake City, or Denver, or even make a
trip starting in Phoenix and heading north, passing by the Grand Canyon
and maybe Las Vegas (though that's probably a bit out of the way). There
are a number of fun rides on that route.

It will be very hot already in some of those locations. Some of the locals
can give you specifics, but my guess is you'll only want to ride in the
mornings.

> Where can I find out details about accommodation and riding? Hell, I'm not
> even sure about exact locations!
> Guides? Or DIY?

Accomodations are pretty easy to line up on the web. If you're more
concerned about money than ameneties, you could camp or stay in cheap
motels that are generally easy to find.

As long as you have your areas figured out, you can get suggestions,
directions & other info from LBSs. I wouldn't bother with guides, and I
certainly wouldn't recommend gaggle-group rides.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

BB wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2004 16:12:38 +1200, Westie wrote:
>
>> Could you guys give me some help, info, names or contacts to get me
>> started with planning this?

> I spend a fair amount of time on rec.travel.europe, since planning my
> trip there last summer. You can get a lot of good input from NGs.
> Work up the places you want to ride and things you want to see, then
> post it for inputs.
>
> As with Europe, there are low-cost regional carriers in the US that
> can take you between cities at a fairly reasonable cost (as long as
> you book early). Southwest.com will probably be your best bet. You'll
> no doubt be flying into a west-coast city anyway (from New Zealand,
> right?). The downside is that they'll all charge you a ~$50 fee for
> checking your bike.
>
> You could consider flying into San Francisco or Los Angeles if you
> wanted to take in some West-coast riding, prior to heading inward
> (there appears to be some nice riding in San Diego, a couple hours
> drive from LA). You'll be in a fog for a few days anyway from the
> jetlag. I'm not sure how different Northern California would be from
> NZ. Its possible to drive between these locations, but each leg will
> be a full day drive.
>
> Otherwise you could just head to Salt Lake City, or Denver, or even
> make a trip starting in Phoenix and heading north, passing by the
> Grand Canyon and maybe Las Vegas (though that's probably a bit out of
> the way). There are a number of fun rides on that route.
>
> It will be very hot already in some of those locations. Some of the
> locals can give you specifics, but my guess is you'll only want to
> ride in the mornings.
>
>> Where can I find out details about accommodation and riding? Hell,
>> I'm not even sure about exact locations!
>> Guides? Or DIY?

> Accomodations are pretty easy to line up on the web. If you're more
> concerned about money than ameneties, you could camp or stay in cheap
> motels that are generally easy to find.
>
> As long as you have your areas figured out, you can get suggestions,
> directions & other info from LBSs. I wouldn't bother with guides, and
> I certainly wouldn't recommend gaggle-group rides.

OK. I knew it would be hot in some of the places that I was interested in
riding but I hadn't realised just how hot it would be.
I could leave it later, and it definitely sounds like later is a good idea.

I'm reasonably used to driving to locations, staying in budget accommodation
(maybe even camping) and checking with the LBS for local info. I guess that
side of things is the same anywhere in the world.

I'm not sure if I'll bring my bike yet. I'm toying with the various options
of hiring or buying as I go, or maybe exporting a beater and buying
something decent once I get there. I'll google the group discussions on
that one.

Anyway, lots to check out. No doubt you'll see other posts from me about
this. Thanks.
--

Westie wrote:

> OK. I knew it would be hot in some of the places that I was interested in
> riding but I hadn't realised just how hot it would be.
> I could leave it later, and it definitely sounds like later is a good idea.
>
> I'm reasonably used to driving to locations, staying in budget accommodation
> (maybe even camping) and checking with the LBS for local info. I guess that
> side of things is the same anywhere in the world.
>
> I'm not sure if I'll bring my bike yet. I'm toying with the various options
> of hiring or buying as I go, or maybe exporting a beater and buying
> something decent once I get there. I'll google the group discussions on
> that one.
>
> Anyway, lots to check out. No doubt you'll see other posts from me about
> this. Thanks.

Salida, Gunnison, Crested Butte are all fairly cool relative to a lot of
the US that time of year (of course they are, they're all about 7000
feet MSL). A lifetime of trails to ride in the region. My LBS
http://www.absolutebikes.com/home.html has some decent rentals.

Shawn