Holiday Programme -- BBC1 tonight at 7 pm

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony W, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    Heads up folks!! Cycling makes it to the BBC Holiday Programme.

    Craig Doyle (who he?) will be cycling through Umbria.

    Sounds shady to me :)

    Bet he does it with a 'support vehicle & sag wagon. Nary a pannier in sight!!

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 18:42:34 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Craig Doyle (who he?) will be cycling through Umbria.

    Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on!

    Oh, wrong Doyle.

    I'll get me coat....

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  3. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 18:42:34 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Heads up folks!! Cycling makes it to the BBC Holiday Programme.
    >
    >Craig Doyle (who he?) will be cycling through Umbria.

    Well, they're having a cycling frenzy on the BBC tonight then. There was also a question about the
    Terry Liberator seat on University Challenge.

    (They got it wrong.)

    Bob

  4. For anyone who missed it, there's a short report at
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/holiday/destinations/umbria_cycling/

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  5. By a strange coincidence, we've been considering doing a similar thing in the summer; my wife's
    family are clubbing together on a villa out there. Anyone have any contacts/names/opinions on the
    best approach to getting a bike out there? Should we go through the pain of flying ours out or is
    there a decent option to hire them there? We'd probably not need anything spectacular; just road
    cruising in the pleasant sunshine
    :)

    - Richard

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Heads up folks!! Cycling makes it to the BBC Holiday Programme.
    >
    > Craig Doyle (who he?) will be cycling through Umbria.
    >
    > Sounds shady to me :)
    >
    > Bet he does it with a 'support vehicle & sag wagon. Nary a pannier in sight!!

  6. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 18:42:34 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Craig Doyle (who he?) will be cycling through Umbria.
    >
    > Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on!
    >
    > Oh, wrong Doyle.
    >
    > I'll get me coat....

    Nice countryside. Oiling the chain with the local Extra Virgin Olive Oil seemed a bit strange
    (though I had similar in India).

    Frankly, the item would have put off more of the great unwashed than were encouraged to try.

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Call me Bob wrote:
    > Well, they're having a cycling frenzy on the BBC tonight then. There was also a question about the
    > Terry Liberator seat on University Challenge.
    >
    > (They got it wrong.)

    You are joking, intya? What was the question?

    ~PB

  8. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > Call me Bob wrote:
    > > Well, they're having a cycling frenzy on the BBC tonight then. There was also a question about
    > > the Terry Liberator seat on University Challenge.
    > >
    > > (They got it wrong.)
    >
    > You are joking, intya? What was the question?

    Basically, what is a Terry Liberator? -- going on to describe it as named after a WW" plane and
    having a hole to protect 'delicate' parts of the anatomy.

    Paxman seemed to have trouble keeping a straight face.

  9. On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:46:01 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 18:42:34 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Craig Doyle (who he?) will be cycling through Umbria.
    >>
    >> Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on!
    >>
    >> Oh, wrong Doyle.
    >>
    >> I'll get me coat....
    >

    >Nice countryside. Oiling the chain with the local Extra Virgin Olive Oil seemed a bit strange
    >(though I had similar in India).
    >
    >Frankly, the item would have put off more of the great unwashed than were encouraged to try.

    A few years ago some guys from my club were featured on Scottish Passport (STV holiday show) on a
    hosteling trip between Carbisdale Castle and Achmelvic. It showed "real" cycling including a
    drum-up, and benifitted from some glorious sunshine (honest!) It still gets shown occasionally as
    a "short."

    Cheers! Stephen

  10. Bugbear

    Bugbear Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 18:42:34 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Craig Doyle (who he?) will be cycling through Umbria.
    > >
    > > Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on!
    > >
    > > Oh, wrong Doyle.
    > >
    > > I'll get me coat....
    >

    > Nice countryside. Oiling the chain with the local Extra Virgin Olive Oil seemed a bit strange
    > (though I had similar in India).
    >
    > Frankly, the item would have put off more of the great unwashed than were encouraged to try.

    I was amused by Helen Tayler's (next report in the programme)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/holiday/destinations/spain_painting/ choice of cycling trousers. Snowy white
    harem pants. Given that they stayed that way, I don't think she did much cycling ;-)

    BugBear

  11. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Tony W wrote:
    > Basically, what is a Terry Liberator? -- going on to describe it as named after a WW" plane and
    > having a hole to protect 'delicate' parts of the anatomy.

    What a bizzare question for UC.

    > Paxman seemed to have trouble keeping a straight face.

    I can't recall ever seeing Paxo WITH a straight face :)

    ~PB