Holistic Medicine

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Jan, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Jan

    Jan Guest

    http://www.all-natural.com/holistic.html

    Holistic Medicine
    Becoming a Partner in the Healing Process
    by Ronald R. Parks, M.P.H., M.D.
    The notion of Holistic Medicine has been around for many years. But why, now,
    has interest in this area skyrocketed, grabbed center stage so to speak, and
    attracted so many new adherents and supporters? I think that the move towards
    holistic medicine was begun by a few conscious souls rebelling against health
    care which was high tech, un-personal, authoritarian, and increasingly
    bureaucratic and commercial. We desired a more caring, humanistic approach -
    encompassing the mind, body, emotions; to be nurtured and empowered, treated
    with respect, and made a partner in the healing process.

    With the growing interest in holistic medicine, there has become an increasing
    number of practicing holistic physicians and health care providers who have
    increasingly put into practice some of these sought-after ideals. They have
    preferred the safer, less costly, more effective and natural treatments, along
    with an emphasis on empowerment of the person, as a partner in their own health
    care and healing. As more of the treatment outcomes of holistic practitioners
    are getting reported in the scientific literature as showing efficacy, safety,
    and positive benefits, a greater degree of acceptance and acknowledgment by
    conventional medicine is being seen. There has been great reluctance to give
    full support, however, as much of the conventional health care establishment is
    so wedded to many approaches and technologies that have not proven their merit
    or superiority to holistic medicine practices.

    Financial issues have also been a factor, as hospitals, for example, have
    become so heavily vested in certain technologies, such as bypass surgery and
    angioplasties for coronary artery therapies. There is, however, a growing
    literature showing that, in many cases, more conservative
    management--especially holistic oriented approaches--work as well, with a
    tremendous added safety factor. An example would be the impressive heart
    research study done by Dean Ornish, M.D. He used a holistic approach and showed
    reversal of coronary artery blockage with arteriography studies, using a
    nutritional low fat diet, exercise, yoga, and group support. There is also
    growing body of evidence that chelation therapy, which involves the
    administration in the vein of a medication called EDTA, improves symptoms
    associated with coronary artery disease and circulation problems, in a safe,
    and less costly way than traditional, invasive and surgical procedures for the
    same problems.

    Informed consumers of health care services have been seeking out and switching
    their health care to holistic health care providers in greater numbers than
    ever before, because of several more recent factors. One has been the recent
    major shift in the health care system to corporate medicine, or managed care,
    with profits and cost saving being the bottom line. These large-sized
    businesses were initially begun on an ethical basis. The goal was to match good
    patient care with cost effectiveness, monitored clinical outcomes, and
    collaborative relationships between providers of care. Managed care providers,
    however, have often degenerated into what I see as unethical businesses, that
    lack clinical leadership. They attempt to reduce cost by keeping out sicker
    patients, tangling medical care and clinical decision-making into a maze of
    bureaucratic red tape, and providing, in some cases, incentive to clinicians to
    provide less care. There have also been the large commercial drug companies
    that have developed and marketed drugs which are less safe and less effective
    than the more natural alternatives, such as botanical, nutritional, or other
    holistic approaches used by holistic health care providers.

    A recent positive trend has been in the medical schools, which are beginning to
    invite holistic physicians to lecture or to develop programs in the schools to
    complement their more conventional curricula. The National Institute of Health
    has developed an office to support and research holistic and alternative
    medicine practices. Some states are now passing laws to protect and support the
    practices of holistic providers, as they have sometimes been the subject of
    harassment by their more conservative colleagues, for their different
    orientation, techniques, and approaches to health care. With these current
    trends, the changing needs and perceptions by a more informed public, and the
    increasing scientific validation of holistic approaches, I see the holistic
    paradigm coming of age--the new frontier of health care and human awareness.

    ------
    Author: Ronald R. Parks, M.P.H., M.D. Originally presented in Baltimore
    Resource Journal, Vol 9, No. 2, Summer 1995, Baltimore Maryland. Ronald R.
    Parks, M.P.H., M.D. has completed medical and specialty training in internal
    medicine and preventive medicine, is board certified in psychiatry, and is a
    certified Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapist. His current practice specializes in
    nutritional, preventive medicine and holistic psychiatry, and can be reached at
    (410) 486-5656.

    Tags:

  2. Hawki63

    Hawki63 Guest

    >Subject: Holistic Medicine
    >From: [email protected] (Jan)
    >Date: 8/5/2003 11:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time

    >research study done by Dean Ornish, M.D. He used a holistic approach and
    >showed
    >reversal of coronary artery blockage

    while no doubt Ornish's diet might work...very very few folks can actually stay
    on it....

    >chelation therapy, which involves the
    >administration in the vein of a medication called EDTA, improves symptoms
    >associated with coronary artery disease and circulation problems, in a safe,
    >and less costly way than traditional,

    oh..yikes..back to chelation for CAD....care to provide the angiographic proof
    that such works,,,Janny???

    course not...

    why is it that EVERY site Janny posts is selling either a book..a far out
    "treatment" or "supplements?""

    or am I the only one noticing such???

    ha ha ha

    jan is a shill

    hawki

    hawki

  3. --

    You are taking a page from Jan's book, i.e., cutting material and pasting it
    here without citing the source as if you had written it yourself. If you had
    gone to school, you would have learned that perjury is naughty.

    --Rich

  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Rich Shewmaker" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > You are taking a page from Jan's book, i.e., cutting material and pasting

    it
    > here without citing the source as if you had written it yourself. If you

    had
    > gone to school, you would have learned that perjury is naughty.
    >
    > --Rich

    If you had stayed awake in school you would know what perjury is.

  5. Ilsa9

    Ilsa9 Guest

    >"Rich Shewmaker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> You are taking a page from Jan's book, i.e., cutting material and pasting

    >it
    >> here without citing the source as if you had written it yourself. If you

    >had
    >> gone to school, you would have learned that perjury is naughty.
    >>
    >> --Rich

    >If you had stayed awake in school you would know what perjury is.

    I believe that word that Rich was intending was "plaigarism".
    The word that describes Low-Life Dave is Spammer...or Ass-Clown....or Douche'
    Bag.

  6. WB

    WB Guest

    On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 05:54:42 -1000, "Rich Shewmaker"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >--
    >
    >"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >
    >You are taking a page from Jan's book, i.e., cutting material and pasting it
    >here without citing the source as if you had written it yourself. If you had
    >gone to school, you would have learned that perjury is naughty.
    >
    >--Rich

    And plagiarism is dastardly.

    8^)

  7. -

    --

    "Ilsa9" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > >"Rich Shewmaker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]

    > >> news:[email protected]
    > >>
    > >> You are taking a page from Jan's book, i.e., cutting material and

    pasting
    > >it
    > >> here without citing the source as if you had written it yourself. If

    you
    > >had
    > >> gone to school, you would have learned that perjury is naughty.
    > >>
    > >> --Rich

    > >If you had stayed awake in school you would know what perjury is.
    > >

    > I believe that word that Rich was intending was "plaigarism".
    > The word that describes Low-Life Dave is Spammer...or Ass-Clown....or

    Douche'
    > Bag.

    You're right. What I meant was plagiarism. Sometimes I think I'm getting a
    little of what's-his-name's-disease in my old age.

    ;o) Rich

  8. Mark Probert

    Mark Probert Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > "Rich Shewmaker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >

    >>--
    >>
    >>"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>You are taking a page from Jan's book, i.e., cutting material and pasting

    > it
    >
    >>here without citing the source as if you had written it yourself. If you

    > had
    >
    >>gone to school, you would have learned that perjury is naughty.
    >>
    >>--Rich

    > If you had stayed awake in school you would know what perjury is.

    Dave wins one, finally....

    Like a broken 24 hour clock..right once a day......