Holland Cycling

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Mark van Gorkom wrote:
>
> > Bear in mind that all of the Netherlands is heavily
> > urbanized (if not as heavily suburbanized as Blighty),
> > mostly very flat
>
> I was pleasantly surprised on my 2 visits earlier this
> year how easy it seemed to be to get out into rural
> areas[1]. Might not be far to the next village, but that's
> hardly a problem.
>
> Pete.
>
> [1] a native guide that likes to plan things well wouldn't
> have been a hindrance, mind!

If you want somewhere close to the Tunnel, Zeeland is
excellent; you can camp in Zeeland Flanders (near Breskens)
and get one of the 2 free ferries over to Walcheran, where
you will find a very good mix of the old and the rural. My
favourite memory is of finding a fish shop that sold superb
battered cod and haddock, but no chips, you have to go next
door and have them covered in mayo (but also superb).
Whatever you decide to do, enjoy ;-)

MartinM wrote:

> My favourite memory is of finding a fish shop that sold
> superb battered cod and haddock, but no chips, you have to
> go next door and have them covered in mayo (but also
> superb).

I have come to the conclusion through much comparative
sampling that the Belgians and Dutch have Got The Right Idea
with mayo on chips. It's interesting to see you found
battered cod and haddock, Roos' main gripe about fish
suppers over here seems to be you have to waste time
removing the batter they will insist on cooking the fish
in... I was not too hopeful about enjoying a raw herring
roll, but it was actually very good indeed.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> writes:

>MartinM wrote:

>> My favourite memory is of finding a fish shop that sold
>> superb battered cod and haddock, but no chips, you have
>> to go next door and have them covered in mayo (but also
>> superb).

>I have come to the conclusion through much comparative
>sampling that the Belgians and Dutch have Got The Right
>Idea with mayo on chips. It's interesting to see you
>found battered cod and haddock, Roos' main gripe about
>fish suppers over here seems to be you have to waste
>time removing the batter they will insist on cooking the
>fish in...

Maybe there is a clue in the word "superb" he used...

Roos

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> MartinM wrote:
>
> > My favourite memory is of finding a fish shop that sold
> > superb battered cod and haddock, but no chips, you have
> > to go next door and have them covered in mayo (but also
> > superb).
>
> I have come to the conclusion through much comparative
> sampling that the Belgians and Dutch have Got The Right
> Idea with mayo on chips. It's interesting to see you found
> battered cod and haddock,

Indeed, in Westkapelle, or maybe Zoutelande; it had an old
tank if that helps, I also remember one of those big church
towers without a steeple, with a lighthouse on top!

> I was not too hopeful about enjoying a raw herring roll,
> but it was actually very good indeed.

Sorry, I am willing to embrace all aspects of the wonderful
fusion that is Euro cuisine, but the words _raw_ and _fish_
in the same sentence? would you be Japanese by any chance?

On 20 May 2004 14:23:45 -0700, MartinM wrote:

> Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> MartinM wrote:
>>
>>> My favourite memory is of finding a fish shop that sold
>>> superb battered cod and haddock, but no chips, you have
>>> to go next door and have them covered in mayo (but also
>>> superb).
>>
>> I have come to the conclusion through much comparative
>> sampling that the Belgians and Dutch have Got The Right
>> Idea with mayo on chips. It's interesting to see you
>> found battered cod and haddock,
>
> Indeed, in Westkapelle, or maybe Zoutelande; it had an old
> tank if that helps, I also remember one of those big
> church towers without a steeple, with a lighthouse on top!
>
>> I was not too hopeful about enjoying a raw herring roll,
>> but it was actually very good indeed.
>
> Sorry, I am willing to embrace all aspects of the
> wonderful fusion that is Euro cuisine, but the words _raw_
> and _fish_ in the same sentence? would you be Japanese by
> any chance?

Many people around the North and Baltic Seas eat raw
herrings (they're actually lightly pickled). In fact, the
matjes herring season starts at the end of May and is
eagerly awaited by millions of people.

You should try some - they really are most delicious.

It's also the asparagus season, another culinary delight.

--
Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "I feel so miserable
without you, it's almost like having you here." -Stephen

in message <[email protected]>, MartinM
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> I was not too hopeful about enjoying a raw herring roll,
>> but it was actually very good indeed.
>
> Sorry, I am willing to embrace all aspects of the
> wonderful fusion that is Euro cuisine, but the words _raw_
> and _fish_ in the same sentence? would you be Japanese by
> any chance?

Raw fish is often very good indeed. Provided it's fresh
enough. Yum.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

... a mild, inoffensive
sadist...

MartinM wrote:

> Sorry, I am willing to embrace all aspects of the
> wonderful fusion that is Euro cuisine, but the words _raw_
> and _fish_ in the same sentence? would you be Japanese by
> any chance?

No, I've never been able to face Sushi before, but coming
off the back of over a decade of being a veggie I'm willing
to experiment a bit lately and see what I still like the
taste of (I'd just ceased to find meat and fish appetising,
but they're tickling my taste buds again now). Roos stopped
at a "haring" stall having been missing the stuff over here,
and I had an exploratory bite... and it was really very
nice, so I had one myself. Very happy to stop for one as a
snack on the last visit. Give it a try: it's not much and as
you can get it takeaway and be outside on sampling you can
always spit it straight out if it offends!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177
Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> MartinM wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I am willing to embrace all aspects of the
> > wonderful fusion that is Euro cuisine, but the words
> > _raw_ and _fish_ in the same sentence? would you be
> > Japanese by any chance?
>
> No, I've never been able to face Sushi before, but coming
> off the back of over a decade of being a veggie I'm
> willing to experiment a bit lately and see what I still
> like the taste of (I'd just ceased to find meat and fish
> appetising, but they're tickling my taste buds again now).
> Roos stopped at a "haring" stall having been missing the
> stuff over here, and I had an exploratory bite... and it
> was really very nice, so I had one myself. Very happy to
> stop for one as a snack on the last visit. Give it a try:

I'm sure I've had rollmops, nice, but they are not raw as
such? bought some herring in mustard sauce from the Swede
shop in Ikea, Yeeeucch, like eating slugs!

('[email protected]') wrote:

> Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> MartinM wrote:
>>
>> > Sorry, I am willing to embrace all aspects of the
>> > wonderful fusion that is Euro cuisine, but the words
>> > _raw_ and _fish_ in the same sentence? would you be
>> > Japanese by any chance?
>>
>> No, I've never been able to face Sushi before, but coming
>> off the back of over a decade of being a veggie I'm
>> willing to experiment a bit lately and see what I still
>> like the taste of (I'd just ceased to find meat and fish
>> appetising, but they're tickling my taste buds again
>> now). Roos stopped at a "haring" stall having been
>> missing the stuff over here, and I had an exploratory
>> bite... and it was really very nice, so I had one myself.
>> Very happy to stop for one as a snack on the last visit.
>> Give it a try:
>
> I'm sure I've had rollmops, nice, but they are not raw as
> such? bought some herring in mustard sauce from the Swede
> shop in Ikea, Yeeeucch, like eating slugs!

Oh, no. One of the real gastronomic joys of visiting Sweden
(and there are many) is tre sorte sild for breakfast -
pickled herrings in a variety of pickles (often more than
three kinds, in fact). Yum, gorgeous.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; It appears that /dev/null is a conforming
XSL processor.

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message

> No, I've never been able to face Sushi before, but coming
> off the back of over a decade of being a veggie I'm
> willing to experiment a bit lately and see what I still
> like the taste of (I'd just ceased to find meat and fish
> appetising, but they're tickling my taste buds again now).
> Roos stopped at a "haring" stall having been missing the
> stuff over here, and I had an exploratory bite... and it
> was really very nice, so I had one myself. Very happy to
> stop for one as a snack on the last visit. Give it a try:
> it's not much and as you can get it takeaway and be
> outside on sampling you can always spit it straight out if
> it offends!

The haring from the stalls is not actually raw as such,
when I tried it it had been pickled in strong vinegar which
had a sort of "cooking effect" on it. It was nowhere as
disgusting as rollmops. I've been to Holland dozens of
times over the past 30 years and don't eat the Dutch food
much, it seems to be all cheese, egg, ham + frites (which
aren't bad with the mayo on).

We always eat in Indonesian restaurants which have fabulous
food like the Rijstafel, which is a wonderful feast of many
different dishes served with rice. Once you've eaten in an
Indonesian, Dutch food seems very bland.

--

Simon M.

Simon Mason wrote:

> The haring from the stalls is not actually raw as such,
> when I tried it it had been pickled in strong vinegar
> which had a sort of "cooking effect" on it.

Pickling is very similar to cooking in its effect on tissue.
You need sushi or sashimi if you want to try raw fish. For
the freshest sashimi you are eating the sliced raw meat
while the fish it came from is still alive on the plate.
About level 6 on my 10 point scarey food scale.

Tony

On Sat, 22 May 2004 13:47:28 +0100, "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]>:

>For the freshest sashimi you are eating the sliced raw meat
>while the fish it came from is still alive on the plate.
>About level 6 on my 10 point scarey food scale.

Unless it's shark, in which case level 10 ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sat, 22 May 2004 13:47:28 +0100, "Tony Raven" <junk@raven-
> family.com> wrote in message <2h90esFa7867U1@uni-
> berlin.de>:
>
> >For the freshest sashimi you are eating the sliced raw
> >meat while the fish it came from is still alive on the
> >plate. About level 6 on my 10 point scarey food scale.
>
> Unless it's shark, in which case level 10 ;-)
>
> Guy

Sorry about this people but I suddenly need to ....

HWALP!!!

If God had meant us to eat raw fish he would not have
invented deep fat friers (or barbecues) ;-)

On 22 May 2004 14:35:46 -0700, [email protected] (MartinM) wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

> If God had meant us to eat raw fish he would not have
> invented deep fat friers (or barbecues) ;-)

One of life's eternal mysteris, is the barbecue. Having
invested heavily in high-technology cookers designed to
prepare food which is cooked evenly and to just the right
level, why do millions of Britons then go out in the garden,
light a fire and burn their food?

Mind you, I can talk. I like dried leaves in boiling water.
Presumably we are all stupid ape descendants and don't know
any better...

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> One of life's eternal mysteris, is the barbecue. Having
> invested heavily in high-technology cookers designed to
> prepare food which is cooked evenly and to just the right
> level, why do millions of Britons then go out in the
> garden, light a fire and burn their food?

To say nothing of all the carcinogens in BBQd food and the
smoke http://www.parentsplace.com/expert/nutritionist/qas/0-
,,240106_115544,00.html?arrivalSA=1&cobrandRef=0&arrival_fr-
eqCap=1&pba=adid=8171818

Tony

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

> On 22 May 2004 14:35:46 -0700, [email protected]
> (MartinM) wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
> > If God had meant us to eat raw fish he would not have
> > invented deep fat friers (or barbecues) ;-)
>
> One of life's eternal mysteris, is the barbecue. Having
> invested heavily in high-technology cookers designed to
> prepare food which is cooked evenly and to just the right
> level, why do millions of Britons then go out in the
> garden, light a fire and burn their food?
>
> Mind you, I can talk. I like dried leaves in boiling
> water. Presumably we are all stupid ape descendants and
> don't know any better...

I wonder who it was that dscovered that the dried swim
bladder of a sturgeon (usually russian) made beer clear?

'tis obvious that after a heavy night of on the vodka and
finishing the last bottle, a group of drinkers decided to
stir some murky beerski with a dried swim bladder only to
discover the brewers' dream.

John B

JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
> >
> > On 22 May 2004 14:35:46 -0700, [email protected]
> > (MartinM) wrote in message
> > <[email protected]>:
> >
> > > If God had meant us to eat raw fish he would not have
> > > invented deep fat friers (or barbecues) ;-)
> >
> > One of life's eternal mysteris, is the barbecue. Having
> > invested heavily in high-technology cookers designed to
> > prepare food which is cooked evenly and to just the
> > right level, why do millions of Britons then go out in
> > the garden, light a fire and burn their food?

Barbecuing need not involve cremation, even if you are a
Brit, the trick is to get the charcoal white (with no smoke
whatsoever) then allow the food (preferably NOT meat) to
slowly cook and drip oil onto the charcoal which then burns
and the smoke flavours the food. Unfortuantely because I
know these facts I end up having to man the barbecue while
the meat eaters drink beer and eat all my veggy kebabs as
well as their own (perfectly cooked) meat ;-(

> > Mind you, I can talk. I like dried leaves in boiling
> > water.

Share and Enjoy!