Hollowtech cranksets

hammex

Mar 7, 2007
I have a possibly naive question:
I am used to conventional crankset/axle with internal bottom bracket races. Now when these wear out and if you have left it a bit long to replace the botttom bracket you get pitting on the axle and have to replace it. For the hollowtech 2 cranksets and any cranksets with external races and a combined axle/crankset do you have to replace the whole crankset? I guess you have to be very careful about the condition of your bottom bracket races so you replace them before you damage your crankset, right?

hammex said:
I have a possibly naive question:
I am used to conventional crankset/axle with internal bottom bracket races. Now when these wear out and if you have left it a bit long to replace the botttom bracket you get pitting on the axle and have to replace it. For the hollowtech 2 cranksets and any cranksets with external races and a combined axle/crankset do you have to replace the whole crankset? I guess you have to be very careful about the condition of your bottom bracket races so you replace them before you damage your crankset, right?

With these, the crank spindle has a machined place that rides on the inside of the cartridge bearing, not onto ball or roller bearings themselves. SO if you cook a bearing, just replace the bearing, not the crank.

Peter@vecchios said:
With these, the crank spindle has a machined place that rides on the inside of the cartridge bearing, not onto ball or roller bearings themselves. SO if you cook a bearing, just replace the bearing, not the crank.
Thanks.