Hollowtech end cap?

John Forrest Tomlinson

Guest
I just installed a Dura Ace crank, and put the bottom bracket end cap
on by hand, not too tight, as the instructions at the Park Tool site
say.

Should I be worried about the end cap falling out? Should I use a
mild loctite or something like that on these?

On Jun 1, 4:12 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I just installed a Dura Ace crank, and put the bottom bracket end cap
> on by hand, not too tight, as the instructions at the Park Tool site
> say.
>
> Should I be worried about the end cap falling out?  Should I use a
> mild loctite or something like that on these?

No, tightening the pinch bolts will hold it in there.

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 05:21:52 -0700 (PDT), "Qui si parla
Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Jun 1, 4:12 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>> I just installed a Dura Ace crank, and put the bottom bracket end cap
>> on by hand, not too tight, as the instructions at the Park Tool site
>> say.
>>
>> Should I be worried about the end cap falling out?  Should I use a
>> mild loctite or something like that on these?

>No, tightening the pinch bolts will hold it in there.

Duh! Thanks, that makes sense.

This whole set-up seems so much easier to install/adjust than
cups/lockrings, balls, etc

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 05:21:52 -0700 (PDT), "Qui si parla
> Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 1, 4:12�pm, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>> I just installed a Dura Ace crank, and put the bottom bracket end cap
>>> on by hand, not too tight, as the instructions at the Park Tool site
>>> say.
>>>
>>> Should I be worried about the end cap falling out? �Should I use a
>>> mild loctite or something like that on these?

>> No, tightening the pinch bolts will hold it in there.

> Duh! Thanks, that makes sense.
>
> This whole set-up seems so much easier to install/adjust than
> cups/lockrings, balls, etc

that's crazy talk! bring back solid square taper spindles! burn the
heretic!

On Jun 2, 6:40 am, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 05:21:52 -0700 (PDT), "Qui si parla
>
> Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Jun 1, 4:12 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
> >wrote:
> >> I just installed a Dura Ace crank, and put the bottom bracket end cap
> >> on by hand, not too tight, as the instructions at the Park Tool site
> >> say.

> >> Should I be worried about the end cap falling out?  Should I use a
> >> mild loctite or something like that on these?

> >No, tightening the pinch bolts will hold it in there.

> Duh!  Thanks, that makes sense.
>
> This whole set-up seems so much easier to install/adjust than
> cups/lockrings, balls, etc

This and other 2 piece systems are easier to install BUT torque
settings on most are very essential, particularly on shimano pinch
bolts. To high and you wreck it, too low and it can fall off. Really
no adjustment. I wish shimano would adopt the XTR type bearing adjust
for 7900 but it doesn't seem so.

"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 05:21:52 -0700 (PDT), "Qui si parla
>
> Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Jun 1, 4:12 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
> >wrote:
> >> I just installed a Dura Ace crank, and put the bottom bracket end cap
> >> on by hand, not too tight, as the instructions at the Park Tool site
> >> say.

> >> Should I be worried about the end cap falling out? Should I use a
> >> mild loctite or something like that on these?

> >No, tightening the pinch bolts will hold it in there.

> Duh! Thanks, that makes sense.
>
> This whole set-up seems so much easier to install/adjust than
> cups/lockrings, balls, etc

This and other 2 piece systems are easier to install BUT torque
settings on most are very essential, particularly on shimano pinch
bolts. To high and you wreck it, too low and it can fall off. Really
no adjustment. I wish shimano would adopt the XTR type bearing adjust
for 7900 but it doesn't seem so.

They are not easier to install IMO. To install I have to torque for both
systems 4 'bolts' to spec. So what is the difference? They are only easier
to remove. The price is a wrong bearing/pipe fit.

Lou