Hollywood movies featuring bicycles

Mihai

Feb 16, 2004
As a bicycle fan, I like mainstream movies that feature bicycle scenes in the plot.

I found at least 4 memorable bike scenes in the movies, click on these links:

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Car vs. BMX bike chase in "Transporter 3"[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Flying bicycle in "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial"[/COLOR] ('the most magic scene in cinema')

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Bicycle dance in "Quicksilver"[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Romantic bike ride in "Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid"[/COLOR]

I wonder if there are more bike moments in the movies, that I know nothing about.

The bicycle dance in Quick Silver was interesting, did you notice the dancing bike is not the same bike featured in the film? The dancing bike had all the brake cables removed.

How about American Flyer? The reason I think of tat one is the fact that the Coor's Classic is coming back next year.

Quote:Originally Posted by jhuskey .

How about American Flyer? The reason I think of tat one is the fact that the Coor's Classic is coming back next year.

Don't forget Breaking Away, I never saw it but read a lot of good reviews about it.

I seen it about 4 times. It's a good flick. " Everybody cheats".

- Taxi
- Lost Boys
- The Wizzard of Oz
- Revenge of the Nerds
- European vacation
- Donnie Darko
- The 40 Year old Virgin
- The Goonies
- Rushmore

Not sure if there all Hollywood but Most are

Originally Posted by Froze .

The bicycle dance in Quick Silver was interesting, did you notice the dancing bike is not the same bike featured in the film? The dancing bike had all the brake cables removed.
Well, at some point the bike dancer makes a front-wheel-pirouette and you can't do that with the brake cable still attached.

Oh, and let's not forget the superb 1948 Italian film 'Bicycle Thieves' (here the full movie on YouTube, with English subtitles).

There were a lot of movies about bicycles, none ever became big hits or won awards but here's some we've forgotten about. I've watched these over the years and some are interesting, few are actually good, but they are about bicycles. Their not Hollywood but worth watching.

Bicycle Thief is a foreign film done in the 40's in Italy about a guy who depends on his bike to get to work and someone steals it so he spends all day looking for in Rome. Not much to do about riding but is interesting.

2 Seconds This film will be good for the women audience who maybe is tired of the male gendered bicycle films, it's about a female mountain biker, it is a Canadian french film so there's subtitles.

The Day I Became a Women No, it's not about me! Another female gendered based film about a woman who enters a bicycle race against the wishes of her husband.

Beast of Burden I liked this film, it's about a bike messengers life and how screwed up life can get, some of the film shots are with a camera on the bars as a messenger cycles through the city.

The Messenger Same bike messenger type of story except filmed in Japan.

The Hard Road A documentary about the first year of a pro team in the American racing circuit, not bad film.

Middle of the World I was a bit disappointed about this one, but it is about cycling, it takes a look at a poor family with 5 children with a mean father/husband that need to make a trip across Brazil to look for work. So with no money, no car and no way to pay for transportation, they set out across Brazil on beater bikes. Boring for me but some of you may like it.

Sunday in Hell A popular film about long distance racing with the Cannibal..

Stars and Water Carriers Another film with the Cannibal.

The Yellow Jersey About the difficulties of an American cycling team in Canada.

And there are others, but some just didn't strike any interest in me or the audience, there were some animated bicycle films put out that were all comedy based. But the ones I listed were the "big" ones, even though big never really got anywhere near big.

How can we forget Rad? Sure it was a movie about BMX, but it was still a good 80's flick. And BMX Bandits, an Aussie film from the 80's starring a teenaged Nicole Kidman complete with cool Aussie accent.
My all time favorite movie is the Goonies though. I was the same age as all the kids in that movie, and back then in the 80's my Ross BMX bike was my only means of conveyance. So the scene when they are riding their bikes always brings back memories of my childhood.

Reactions: Chavez
Originally Posted by stevegreer .

My all time favorite movie is the Goonies though. I was the same age as all the kids in that movie, and back then in the 80's my Ross BMX bike was my only means of conveyance. So the scene when they are riding their bikes always brings back memories of my childhood.
Agreed! me, my friends and my younger brother were always going for adventures on our bikes around the neighborhood as little kids - great days indeed

I miss that bike. The ole Ross took quite a beating and just kept on going. My dad was and still is an avid cyclist, so he instilled in me at an early age the value of bike maintenance. I was changing my own flat tires, cleaning and lubing my chain and readjusting the handlebars at 9 years old. Still to this day I get as much pleasure out of doing maintenance on the bike as I do riding it.

Originally Posted by stevegreer .

. I was changing my own flat tires, cleaning and lubing my chain and readjusting the handlebars at 9 years old. Still to this day I get as much pleasure out of doing maintenance on the bike as I do riding it.
Sounds like my childhood! :)

There is Graeme Obree and his bike "Old Faithful" in the movie "The Flying Scotsman." Its viewable instantly on Netflix.

I own Breaking Away and American Flyer on DVD. Most the great old movies are available on DVD via the Internet for actually pretty cheap. I have a home theater and a nice sized collection of DVD's. It's nice to have a title of a DVD I'd like to own/watch when the wife asks questions about gift ideas (birthday, fathers day, Christmas).

This past winter... barely happened.. in the mid-west. And I had very little cycling down-time. But, normally in the winter months I like to feed the cycling addiction with a cycling related movie or two and a cycling book or two.